OLPH Ridgemen 95th anniversary!

The OLPH RIDGEMEN 1914 - 2009 will celebrate their 95th anniversary as a drum corps on Sunday, May 17, 2009 at the Basillica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Brooklyn, New York.

The OLPH drum corps has certainly contributed immensely to the drum corps activity, boasting of such distingushed alumnus as: Bobby Thompson, Tom Costa, Les Parks, George Rodriguez. Also Venerable judges such as Ed Fitzgerald and Phil Mafous and a very long list of instructors, designers, and performers who have not only enjoyed their involvement with the OLPH drum corps activity, but have gone on to contribute to the marching drum corps activity in a very significant way. Many of whom are still involved today.

The RIDGEMEN, during their 95 year tenure, were a competitive drum corps from 1961 until 1976. During that time, they competed in the PENN- JERSEY, GREATER NY and GARDEN STATE circuits as well as many years as an "OPEN CORPS". They have appeared at Carnegie Hall, Madison Square Garden, Shea Stadium, Yankee Stadium, Ebbitt's Field and the Polo Grounds. Also playing for POPE JOHN XXIII during his visit to NY. As important as anything else, however, is the literally thousands of youth that the OLPH drum corps has served in their 95 year history!

Come celebrate with us on MAY 17TH from 3 PM to 7 PM following the annual NORWEGIAN DAY PARADE in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. We will be honoring the 1961 RIDGEMEN members, our first competitive marching drum corps. Also in attendance will be our beloved director Father Dick Skarbek.

Contact former drum major JACK DEACY at 212 219 8675, www.jackdeacy@gmail.com OR visit our web site WWW.RIDGEMEN.NET for further information. SEE YOU IN GOOD OLD BROOKLYN ON MAY 17TH !!!!!!! Bobby Steinhilber

The OLPH RIDGEMEN 1914 - 2009 will celebrate their 95th anniversary as a drum corps on Sunday, May 17, 2009 at the Basillica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Brooklyn, New York.

The OLPH drum corps has certainly contributed immensely to the drum corps activity, boasting of such distingushed alumnus as: Bobby Thompson, Tom Costa, Les Parks, George Rodriguez. Also Venerable judges such as Ed Fitzgerald and Phil Mafous and a very long list of instructors, designers, and performers who have not only enjoyed their involvement with the OLPH drum corps activity, but have gone on to contribute to the marching drum corps activity in a very significant way. Many of whom are still involved today.

The RIDGEMEN, during their 95 year tenure, were a competitive drum corps from 1961 until 1976. During that time, they competed in the PENN- JERSEY, GREATER NY and GARDEN STATE circuits as well as many years as an "OPEN CORPS". They have appeared at Carnegie Hall, Madison Square Garden, Shea Stadium, Yankee Stadium, Ebbitt's Field and the Polo Grounds. Also playing for POPE JOHN XXIII during his visit to NY. As important as anything else, however, is the literally thousands of youth that the OLPH drum corps has served in their 95 year history!

Come celebrate with us on MAY 17TH from 3 PM to 7 PM following the annual NORWEGIAN DAY PARADE in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. We will be honoring the 1961 RIDGEMEN members, our first competitive marching drum corps. Also in attendance will be our beloved director Father Dick Skarbek.

Contact former drum major JACK DEACY at 212 219 8675, www.jackdeacy@gmail.com OR visit our web site WWW.RIDGEMEN.NET for further information. SEE YOU IN GOOD OLD BROOKLYN ON MAY 17TH !!!!!!! Bobby Steinhilber

Thanks Bobby, I've also posted this announcement on the Sunrisers Alumni forum... :thumbup:

(check the Alumni Boards)

Edited by TennTux

:worthy:

Bobby - Wish I could be there. I remember OLPH when I first joined St. Joe's Patron in the sixties! You guys had been the Greater New York M&M Circuit corps to beat and everybody knew when the Ridgemen didn't show in the circuit after '64, they were on their way to National success. In fact, we thought the same way: We never looked back after winning the Circuit Championship for 2 years in a row - Circuit shows after '68 & '69 all over the tri-state area of N.Y., N.J & CT (not to mention L.I.) were on the down slide. The Ridgemen went on tour and 2 years later, we followed suit. A lot of NY corps got some National attention (Bronx Kingsmen and CMCC Warriors among them) in the late sixties. Garden State (Blessed Sacrament, Garfield and the Muchachos) if you don't remember, another group. It was, between the those corps in the East - well you've got to add 27th, Boston, The Crusaders, St. Lucy's, The Bridgemen, St. Kevin's, Audubon and the Trumbull Troubadors as late as '69 were a real threat to the corps coming in during those late sixties years. There was no technology to capture those great shows in the East and that holds true for those of the same time in the Midwest.

Oh, if I could be on the streets of Bay Ridge again!

Have a wonderful time and take the time to remember those who marched Carter Cadet, Wynn Center, The Manhattan-iers, The Lawmen, Lindenaires, Islanders, Shoreliners, and all the rest. Don't forget to lift a toast to them, too. We all made our experience in Drum Corps something to never forget and never take lightly.

Just a minor adjustment to your post - I would have put "Major" Tom Costa first on your list. His daughter was our Drum Major for a couple of years and his buddies Hy Drietzer (who played with Bobby T.) and Carmen Cluna and Joe Gennero - can you say: Skyliners!? - who worked with Tom at St. Rocco's (and before that!)

I'm always glad to hear about corps from BITD.

God bless almost a century of service to the community of the the old neighborhood!

Shako is off to you all!

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Congratulations! Sounds like an exciting and historical celebration.

I'm excited about another opportunity to see the old guys! There weren't gals when I march with the Ridgemen. It was my first experience with marching with a corps with the local rep of being a power in the "Greater New York" circuit.

It was a great experience and it taught me a heck of a lot about life in the real world, and about life in the drum corps world. My first competition was the Daily News Show held at "Shea Stadium" in 1964. What a crowd and what an event. For that reason I was sad to see "Shea Stadium" fall.

See you there Steiny, and I'll pass the word to the gang!!

:worthy::lol:

Thanks Tony, Doreen, Nat and Puppet ........ Your right Pup, Brooklyn is a special place and our old neighborhood is in great shape these days. The huge Basillica on the hill that can be seen from miles away is in beautiful shape, the area is safe and the pizza at Johnny's is still great!

It's going to be a great day and the proceeds from the reunion will go to the grammer school which survived a recent order to be closed. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a drum corps out of them in the near future. Come one, come all, to Brooklyn NY, May 17th NORWEGIAN DAY. You have freinds there!!!!

www.ridgemen.net

Bobby - Wish I could be there. I remember OLPH when I first joined St. Joe's Patron in the sixties! You guys had been the Greater New York M&M Circuit corps to beat and everybody knew when the Ridgemen didn't show in the circuit after '64, they were on their way to National success. In fact, we thought the same way: We never looked back after winning the Circuit Championship for 2 years in a row - Circuit shows after '68 & '69 all over the tri-state area of N.Y., N.J & CT (not to mention L.I.) were on the down slide. The Ridgemen went on tour and 2 years later, we followed suit. A lot of NY corps got some National attention (Bronx Kingsmen and CMCC Warriors among them) in the late sixties. Garden State (Blessed Sacrament, Garfield and the Muchachos) if you don't remember, another group. It was, between the those corps in the East - well you've got to add 27th, Boston, The Crusaders, St. Lucy's, The Bridgemen, St. Kevin's, Audubon and the Trumbull Troubadors as late as '69 were a real threat to the corps coming in during those late sixties years. There was no technology to capture those great shows in the East and that holds true for those of the same time in the Midwest.

Oh, if I could be on the streets of Bay Ridge again!

Have a wonderful time and take the time to remember those who marched Carter Cadet, Wynn Center, The Manhattan-iers, The Lawmen, Lindenaires, Islanders, Shoreliners, and all the rest. Don't forget to lift a toast to them, too. We all made our experience in Drum Corps something to never forget and never take lightly.

Just a minor adjustment to your post - I would have put "Major" Tom Costa first on your list. His daughter was our Drum Major for a couple of years and his buddies Hy Drietzer (who played with Bobby T.) and Carmen Cluna and Joe Gennero - can you say: Skyliners!? - who worked with Tom at St. Rocco's (and before that!)

I'm always glad to hear about corps from BITD.

God bless almost a century of service to the community of the the old neighborhood!

Shako is off to you all!

Puppet

As far as St. Rocco's, Al Koch ( music and Drill ) Bill Boerner ( drums ).

I will definitely try to make the Ridgemen's Reunion. I'll give DC a call.

As far as St. Rocco's, Al Koch ( music and Drill ) Bill Boerner ( drums ).

I will definitely try to make the Ridgemen's Reunion. I'll give DC a call.

Pretty good at my Brooklyn Drum Corps History. Eric & Hy for sure but OK.

Try a little Randell's Island action-here's a little link for ya! Click and enjoy

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/gr...t=stroccos2.flv

Just about a minute of memories - if you haven't seen it ...

All the best,

Puppet