2009 Texas Drum Corps Preview

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated TX Drum Corps Preview Flyer!

TXDCP-UpdatedFlier.jpg

Strongly suggest you send this to all the Austin ISD, Pflugerville ISD High School Band Programs before school closes next week....you would get lots of kids to hang downtown to check this out especially when the show is Free.

Looking forward to this year's concert...it was great last year. Get to watch my guys perform again...husband with WGM and son with Crossmen.

The show is free. The venue being the capital doesn't have much space. Semi-amphitheater with the audience down and the stage up. It's not exactly a stadium with parking lot and proper seating. BYOC. There is significant parking in the lots in proximity and street side (free on weekends). But there's a number of trees in the courtyard of the capital that limits the "good" seats. I'd love to see all of the ISDs out and such. But venue wise it'd be a lot like hosting DCI at Praetec Park. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have the crowds. But Texas heat + small space + crowds isn't always a good thing.

This is a cool event and I wish we had another Corps in Kansas so we could start something like that up here.

I will plan on attending in 2010.

This is a cool event and I wish we had another Corps in Kansas so we could start something like that up here.

I will plan on attending in 2010.

That would be awesome! We'd love to have your corps there too :-) It's a stand-still performance, so no need to worry about the show being finished on the field :-)

Strongly suggest you send this to all the Austin ISD, Pflugerville ISD High School Band Programs before school closes next week....you would get lots of kids to hang downtown to check this out especially when the show is Free.

Looking forward to this year's concert...it was great last year. Get to watch my guys perform again...husband with WGM and son with Crossmen.

Been working on that. Thanks.

The show is free. The venue being the capital doesn't have much space. Semi-amphitheater with the audience down and the stage up. It's not exactly a stadium with parking lot and proper seating. BYOC. There is significant parking in the lots in proximity and street side (free on weekends). But there's a number of trees in the courtyard of the capital that limits the "good" seats. I'd love to see all of the ISDs out and such. But venue wise it'd be a lot like hosting DCI at Praetec Park. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have the crowds. But Texas heat + small space + crowds isn't always a good thing.

I attended this show last year...it was awesome and there isn't alot of space, but there wasn't many people either. The audience was mostly made up of the Crossmen color guard and then corps members who stood and watched after they performed.

Aware that the venue is not a stadium, but information to local high school bands would get many perspective members who may not be aware of ALL the Texas drum corps opportunities that exist.

Stop making excuses...venue, trees, heat etc....people who love music which is what Austin is known for, would enjoy a free evening of outstanding music.

Contacting high school fine arts departments would pass along the information and who knows maybe they will come, maybe some will join the ranks of the corps, and then the Texas drum corps movement will strengthen...and to think it could all begin by sending a Texas Preview flyer......

Stop making excuses...venue, trees, heat etc....

Not so much an excuse. Just that if it grows much beyond it's current incarnation. The capital may no longer be a suitable venue. Not that that's a bad thing. As symbolic as it may be and key to the events success. With a crowd of 10K plus, a fair percentage of the crowd may not get the full benefit. The first event was actually held at the riverwalk in San Antonio. And there are certain ISD venues that would make awesome venues for this event. But if last years crowd triples we might get banned from the capital. Not really excuse as it is a realization that we're in danger of out growing scranton soon and are in need of finding a new venue. From a local POV. Factor in more corps and therefor more performing units, and therefor fans / alumni / parents / ... It wouldn't take much to push it over the edge. By all means push, just realize that things will need to change once it crests a certain popularity. Which might be this year. Later in the season, more corps are able to work it into the schedules, yada yada yada....

That would be awesome! We'd love to have your corps there too :-) It's a stand-still performance, so no need to worry about the show being finished on the field :-)

We'll mull that over. Several people in our Corps want to revisit Texas. A Prairie Sound trip to Austin in 2010 would be very possible.