Contest called - Sound of the 20th Century August 18 1973

Does anyone have information regarding this contest?

Sound of the 20th Century August 18 1973

Erie Thunderbirds

Kingston Grenadiers

Imperial Knights

Suburban Knights

Kawartha Kavaliers

I would like to know the scores and location. What did the Gueph Royalaires call their shows, as I think my corps competed there that year but I have nothing regarding it? Perhaps it is this one. Those post contest parties in RCA were sure hard on the memory.

Does anyone have information regarding this contest?

Sound of the 20th Century August 18 1973

Erie Thunderbirds

Kingston Grenadiers

Imperial Knights

Suburban Knights

Kawartha Kavaliers

I would like to know the scores and location. What did the Gueph Royalaires call their shows, as I think my corps competed there that year but I have nothing regarding it? Perhaps it is this one. Those post contest parties in RCA were sure hard on the memory.

The next Saturday was:

Saturday August 25, 1973

Red Carpet Association Championships at Erie Stadium, PA

1 Erie Thunderbirds 76.350

2 Guelph Royalaires 76.250

3 Pittsburgh Rockets 72.450

4 Syracuse Brigadiers 69.850

5 Kingston Grenadiers 63.800

6 Emmaus Sentinels 63.250

7 Kawartha Kavaliers 62.300

8 Hanover Lancers 60.250

9 Suburban Knights 59.550

10 Dunkirk Patriots 57.500

11 Imperial Knights 52.100

12 Freestatesmen 48.450

13 Vern Acklin Cavaliers 45.500

Aside from DCI, there were very few corps who named their shows at that point, I believe. In our case, we just titled the show from one of the production numbers vis-a-vis Woodstock, West Side Story and in 1973 Perils Of Pauline.

Best I can do - but there's the Guelph Royalaires and considering the placement there, they probably did very well the week before.

Puppet

Sorry I should have asked what Guelph call their contest as I think the one in question maybe theirs. In the early days of Guelph they were know as the corps with a heart as their music was of a "love" theme with a drill pattern that ended in a heart.

In the early days of Guelph they were know as the corps with a heart as their music was of a "love" theme with a drill pattern that ended in a heart.

Great uniforms, too.... cream-colored with red trim (they had those unis when I first saw 'em, in 1978). Very classy look!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Guelph had some talented guys, I will say that.

Who can forget their concert number,,,"One Fine Morning"...And who was the mellophone player for that number???

BILLY GRAHAM

• 7 months later...

Ask the right question in enough places and you will eventually get the answer you are seeking. It was the Gueph Royalaires contests that were called Sound of the 20th Century

Great uniforms, too.... cream-colored with red trim (they had those unis when I first saw 'em, in 1978). Very classy look!

Fran

...and they had them in 1960 and perhaps before...it was a classic look. Before becoming the Royalaires drum corps they were the 11th Field Artillery Trumpet Band in the army reserves (militia). Now THAT was a uniform!

For some reason some show announcers seemed to have a problem with figuring out where they were from...in 1970 while I was in Commanders an announcer said they were from "Gulch" Ontario. The Royalaires were forever known as "Gulch" to us after that! One time they were announced as coming from "Puslinch Lake"! Yes, the place really does exist and is quite close to Guelph but that one had us in stitches for weeks!

Billy Graham was an outstanding mellophone soloist. Get him to tell you about the time I almost arrested him when he was coming home from a Royalaire practice...luckily I was able to calm my partner down after Billy peed on his shoes....

...and they had them in 1960 and perhaps before...it was a classic look. Before becoming the Royalaires drum corps they were the 11th Field Artillery Trumpet Band in the army reserves (militia). Now THAT was a uniform!

For some reason some show announcers seemed to have a problem with figuring out where they were from...in 1970 while I was in Commanders an announcer said they were from "Gulch" Ontario. The Royalaires were forever known as "Gulch" to us after that! One time they were announced as coming from "Puslinch Lake"! Yes, the place really does exist and is quite close to Guelph but that one had us in stitches for weeks!

Billy Graham was an outstanding mellophone soloist. Get him to tell you about the time I almost arrested him when he was coming home from a Royalaire practice...luckily I was able to calm my partner down after Billy peed on his shoes....

Why doesn't that sound strange?

Had the pleasure of competing against Guelph many times between 1970 and 1975. Fine bunch both on and off the field. We were on the same field as the Commanders and Guelph only once I believe, it was in Port Hope Ont in 1972. Fine party after that show. :tongue: