Curt Anderson "Classic" Review

Great job to all who performed, it is you that makes the music happen.

Edited by Capt Ajax

Thanks Brian, the mini corps did a good job with some borrowed people from the Crusaders and we appreciate their participation. I was actually quite pleased after having a rough pre show warm up because of time constraints.

Donny

I saw the first 3 groups. I would be glad to add my three cents.

FIRST:

The Greece Marching band should be very proud of themselves. The way that they entered the Aud. and their presence on stage set the tone for the evening. The uniforms are beautiful and so was the performance from everyone of these kids in the band. The banners, percussion and other instrumentation was outstanding. The music that they played, nice arrangements, played with a lot of excitement and energy!

SECOND:

Ghost Riders the performance for this time of the year was excellent. DA did a great job writing & arranging the music. Great mix across the different voices and wonderful full bottom sound provided by some of my friends (Jack L., Bobby L., Brian B., Bob H. & others, sorry don’t know them) The sop’s were very good! GH has some strong young players who are only going to get better as the year progresses. Timmy & Ryan you are exceptional players getting better everyday. Great horn playing along with a titch of humility will make you guys truly great horn players. The thing that really impressed me the most about GH is the mellophone section. Great parts and executed beautifully! It almost made me want to go back on mello. Over all Great charts Donnie, you’re one of a kind, in the line and out front. Good luck & have a great year!!

THIRD:

Prime Time:

OUTSTANDING SHOW!! wow, wow, wow! Your Rocky opener, Samokin! All your charts and arrangements were outstanding. Your solo work, line work, the entire ensemble is a beautiful thing to watch and hear. Billy McGraff on the drums (one of a kind) What can I say except thank you to all of you for a great performance and for supporting Crossroads House at the Attica Concert, also!!

Sorry that I missed the other groups.

I was getting ready to play with St. Joe’s. It was a good day for the corps. It was a performance that would have made Curt proud! The members turned out to play, and play they did. The corps as a whole, needed to feel good about a performance. They accomplished that and then some. The corps played with some attitude that night. They played with some confidence that I believe has been absent in the recent past. Familiar music that most of the players knew could be one of the reasons for a good showing. They did what Donny asked us to do. Focus, listen, blend & play from the heart! When you play from the your heart the music has a way of finding itself into other people’s hearts! This one was for you Curt A. Good Bless & Keep You

Frankie P.

I saw the first 3 groups. I would be glad to add my three cents.

FIRST:

The Greece Marching band should be very proud of themselves. The way that they entered the Aud. and their presence on stage set the tone for the evening. The uniforms are beautiful and so was the performance from everyone of these kids in the band. The banners, percussion and other instrumentation was outstanding. The music that they played, nice arrangements, played with a lot of excitement and energy!

SECOND:

Ghost Riders the performance for this time of the year was excellent. DA did a great job writing & arranging the music. Great mix across the different voices and wonderful full bottom sound provided by some of my friends (Jack L., Bobby L., Brian B., Bob H. & others, sorry don’t know them) The sop’s were very good! GH has some strong young players who are only going to get better as the year progresses. Timmy & Ryan you are exceptional players getting better everyday. Great horn playing along with a titch of humility will make you guys truly great horn players. The thing that really impressed me the most about GH is the mellophone section. Great parts and executed beautifully! It almost made me want to go back on mello. Over all Great charts Donnie, you’re one of a kind, in the line and out front. Good luck & have a great year!!

THIRD:

Prime Time:

OUTSTANDING SHOW!! wow, wow, wow! Your Rocky opener, Samokin! All your charts and arrangements were outstanding. Your solo work, line work, the entire ensemble is a beautiful thing to watch and hear. Billy McGraff on the drums (one of a kind) What can I say except thank you to all of you for a great performance and for supporting Crossroads House at the Attica Concert, also!!

Sorry that I missed the other groups.

I was getting ready to play with St. Joe’s. It was a good day for the corps. It was a performance that would have made Curt proud! The members turned out to play, and play they did. The corps as a whole, needed to feel good about a performance. They accomplished that and then some. The corps played with some attitude that night. They played with some confidence that I believe has been absent in the recent past. Familiar music that most of the players knew could be one of the reasons for a good showing. They did what Donny asked us to do. Focus, listen, blend & play from the heart! When you play from the your heart the music has a way of finding itself into other people’s hearts! This one was for you Curt A. Good Bless & Keep You

Frankie P.

Thanks Frank for your comments about me.

Wish I could've been there for the show, but from the sounds of it, it must have been great!

On the bright side, I was in VA Beach with my jazz band over the weekend and we took 1st place in our competition.

Good job guys, and I'll see you with GR this weekend!

FIRST:

Thanks for the comments on the GMB.

We took great pride in our first performance this year!

This group of kids is truly special, talented and dedicated, and they are going to have an amazing field season!

Louis is a great choice! He is doing fine work with the horn line!

From what I saw

Stopped in to say hi to someone I marched with for a while who was instructing Greece's drum line, looks like they are on the right path to building sucsess; there was some good stuff going on by all sections.

Missed their performance and heard Ghost's from outside of the Aud. so can't say much but I could hear the crowd reaction from where I was so it must have been wuite good.

I can say that when I was walking to the concession stand PTB took the stage and their first note literally blew me back, a very nice sound!

Saw RR from outside (the Aud.). They opened up with "I Can See for Miles" by the Who which is a song that definitely works for the marching genre (I played it in Marching Band Sophomore year). I was very impressed with the high level that the drum line was able to achieve. They were playing some notes and nailing almost everything.

Next was Cru. They opened up with Mars which was very polished for April, for sure a top tier sound. The following peices were well done, but some noticable fighting between the battery/pit and horns occurred, whichcan be chalked up to simply not enough reps together. Overall I think when Cru gets the full drum line there (college + high school + distance = poor winter attendence) they will be hot. The drum line features a lot of talents so the potential is great.

Opti. continued the Green Scheme and put on a fan friendly show that featured some real good solo work.

Last on were the host corps, St. Joes. My dad marched with the corps back in the mid 90's so I always take a liking to what St. Joes put out, no metter the size. That being said, this year seems to be the year that puts St. Joes back to what I remember them being. They were big, featuring almost 60 brass, and their sound was very good. The drum line was also very large with at least 8 snares and a bunch of tenors. St. Joes simply blew the house down and got the fans on their feet.

Overall a very enjoyable show can't wait to see everyone as the year goes on.

Thanks Frank for your comments about me.

Dude..thanks to YOU! mon ami..

considering U started out with your grand-dad(my absolute fav St Joes person BTW)...

AND Hall of Fame Jimmy and Hall of Fame Donny...

UR a part of a ROCH/DC/Dynasty bloodline..LOL(BIG HUG TO YOU and yours my friend)...

ur comments to me at DCA/Roch 2007...were unforgettable...

Long live RochCorps and the Allens

Mike Dempsey