Green brass?

Jyri

I recently came across and article stating ketchup can be used as a tarnish remover... tried it on my horn... not so much. Toothpaste worked well though.

What are some eco friendly polishes/oils that can be used on a horn without compromising World class calibre performance and appearance?

Ketchup could work, but it contains vinegar. It might be better to cut out the middleman and just use vinegar. If you wanted to be eco friendly, you'd probably have a horn coated with a metal that didn't tarnish to start with. Biodegradable soap and water, good as new. I miss chrome. Not that manufacturing a horn is an eco friendly process.

Toothpaste worked well though.

Now try brushing your teeth with Tarnish Guard.

Ketchup could work, but it contains vinegar. It might be better to cut out the middleman and just use vinegar. If you wanted to be eco friendly, you'd probably have a horn coated with a metal that didn't tarnish to start with. Biodegradable soap and water, good as new. I miss chrome. Not that manufacturing a horn is an eco friendly process.

A little Windex...a couple of minutes of buffing....and presto! Instant judge-blinders!!

A little Windex...a couple of minutes of buffing....and presto! Instant judge-blinders!!

That ketchup thing may have been for those brass folks who carry their instruments around in their cases and never take them outdoors.

Windex?! The only thing eco-friendly about that stuff is the two talking Blackbirds they have in their commercials.

Try a chamois cloth. Little more elbow grease but you also get the "wax on, wax off" benefits.

Puppet

That ketchup thing may have been for those brass folks who carry their instruments around in their cases and never take them outdoors.

Windex?! The only thing eco-friendly about that stuff is the two talking Blackbirds they have in their commercials.

Try a chamois cloth. Little more elbow grease but you also get the "wax on, wax off" benefits.

Puppet

elbow grease?! blackbirds?! karate kid two mantras?! Puppets?!

this the same thread I started? :worthy:

any liquid will get the dirt off the horn pretty much is what it seems like responses have said. vinegar or a chamois cloth work well for shine.

Would you consider a horn to be more like a mirror that just needs to be cleaned or like a leather shoe that can be buffed to a very high gloss?

Best one for tarnished silver, not lacquer.

Get a tub/bowl/sink big enough to fit your horn or arts in. Put a sheet of aluminium foil in the bottom, 2 big spoons of baking powder/sodium bicarbonate and the same of salt. Fill it with enough warm water to cover your horn. Place horn int he tub making sure it is touching the foil and leave for a few hours.

After that take it our rinse clean, that should remove all tarnishing marks without removing any of the silver.

I suppose I should add that as a kid, creeps used to put Ketchup on the seat of my bicycle. And when it semi-dried it was difficult to get off. Basically garden hose and butter knife, since it sort of gummed up. I much preferred mustard on my seat. It hardens and you just flake it off. No harm, no foul. Same for locker locks.

elbow grease?! blackbirds?! karate kid two mantras?! Puppets?!

this the same thread I started? :blink:

any liquid will get the dirt off the horn pretty much is what it seems like responses have said. vinegar or a chamois cloth work well for shine.

Would you consider a horn to be more like a mirror that just needs to be cleaned or like a leather shoe that can be buffed to a very high gloss?

Too Obscure, huh? I was just responding to the Windex reference. Ammonia isn't eco friendly but a soft cloth like a chamois is.

Puppet (the nickname bestowed on me by my corps mates in 1965 - I still use it like I wear my old jacket)

• 2 weeks later...

I have found a product that seems to work quite well. Flitz metal polish. Contains no ammonia or abrasives, yet removes small scratches well and polishes the instrument. After using that product I have coated the instrument with car polish, (new Finish). Seems to keep the finish from tarnishing and spoting for some time.