2009 Racine Scouts Presents......

"New York Under Chrome Lights"

America's oldest junior drum and bugle corps, The Racine Explorer Scouts, invite you to experience the Big Apple, "chrome style". From the Garment District to Wall Street, from Harlem to Broadway, and Ellis Island to Central Park, this city has no equal. Get into a New York State of Mind, as we visit the Cotton Club, and the immortal 42nd Street. The highlight of the journey will be THE most amazing piece of artwork anywhere, the Manhattan Skyline. The heart and soul of this great metropolis has been captured by many musical greats, from Cohan to Kander. We hope that you will enjoy our kaleidoscope of the sights and sounds of the City That Never Sleeps.

Musical Selections include:

New York State of Mind

Give My Regards to Broadway

42nd Street

Harlem Nocturne

Sing, Sang, Sung

Manhattan Skyline

New York, New York

Drum Major is Chelsea Bruce.

Musical arrangements provided by Chuck Naffier

Staff includes: Andrea Birbilis, Bobby Bonslater, Christopher Chaffee, Kris Neal, Rachel Chaffee, Mark Dolan, and Gary Fitch.

Affectionately called the "Chrome Domes" because of their distinctive helmets, the Racine Scouts will celebrate their 82nd year of competition in 2009. Originally formed as a Boy Scout troop, the corps is also the oldest musical Scouting unit in the United States. Corps membership represents a wide cross section of Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Arizona. The Racine Scouts are proud to be a Yamaha Percussion endorser, thanks to a recent grant by the Racine Community Foundation.

The Executive Director is Paul A. Chaffee, and the Corps Manager is Andrea Birbilis.

Epic it will be.

We have the following openings?

2 soprano

1 mellophone

1 tenor drums

1 bass drum

2 mallets

DRUM SET

2 guard

We invite anyone who's interested in joining, there's always room for any determined individuals who still want to march drum corps.

feel free to contact me at bbonslater@vandercook.edu

I'll tell you what all of the kids that aren't marching because they didn't make the corps of their original choice

ought to go to Racine and try out ! Anybody have any idea of the tour fee for the scouts ? Also what are the

numbers as far as horn line , percussion and guard , just curious ?

Fees are a low $1000.

I just got off the bus back from Texas.

As of this weekend we have:

7 Sopranos

3 Mellos

8 Baritones

3 Contras

3 snares

2 tenors

4 bass

6 front ensemble

10 guard

we're still looking for

1-2 sopranos

1 mello

(one more contra wouldn't hurt)

drumline is okay, but the drill can be adjusted for one in each section

Still looking for a drumset player for the front ensemble.

Guard..... can add up to 2 more.

<post removed - MikeN>

Well, I think the Racine community cares! Best of luck this season and see you at the Memorial Day Parade! Thanks for getting VK in town this year too!

Post removed - MikeN

Anything that can be done to promote any of our corps is a good thing. A VERY good thing.

The kids in Racine Scouts get a good education and are treated quite well. I've never heard anything negative about their demeanor and how they present themselves in public, which is why I recommended a local church school to take them in during the DCI World Championships Open Class Quarterfinals. (I live in the next town to Michigan City.)

So, I care about Racine Scouts. But I care about all the corps. DCP is a great vehicle to place an announcement about membership needs. There are always potential members on the sideline who realize late that they would rather get a summer's experience with a corps than work full-time during the summer, realizing they have the rest of their life to work, but they'll only be young once.

Well, I think the Racine community cares! Best of luck this season and see you at the Memorial Day Parade! Thanks for getting VK in town this year too!

VK is very excited to be a part of this show as well. Andrea and her staff have been AMAZING in putting all of this together so everyone that attends will have a great experience.

See you all in July!!!!!