Synthesizers in drum corps

which I found fascinating. Of course, Olds got out of the bugle biz 30 years ago....

There you go! Now I have to frequent the brass forum instead of a synth topic for information. Or I'll throw stuff out there and let you correct it as needed. :laughing:

I know if I were a music store owner at the time, that would be a "No deal!" Who'd want to sit on that inventory? Plus, if corps could deal directly with the manufacturer, they probably got a better price anyway, plus direct shipping.

Garry in Vegas

No offense intended.

One of the things that is good about evolution in this activity is that it has such a rich history, which I will never tire of learning about.

I don't think that anyone could predict the growth pattern of mellophone use that was being discussed in that post. Now, it is very hard to find a FHn, as only mellophones are desired. Hmm... Changes.

1968 slightly predated my drum corps involvement, but I wonder how much of that sales potential was directed at Sr. Corps.

[/digression]

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I do understand that you just don't like electronics.

Clearly there's far more to it than that but if you're not getting it at this point it's time to move on....

Not a problem.

There are people who think "real" drum corps ended in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, and yes, even before that. I'll get by with you not believing it simply because I'm not digging up posts to prove it.

...and people that like synths want woodwinds, laser lights and monster trucks legalized for DCI, but I'm not going to dig up posts to prove that point either. Therefore, both statements are equally valid......

I think DCI will gain fans. I think if it becomes too much like BOA enough of it's fanbase will not erode and will not be in an economic crisis because drum corps is a summer activity unique in that aspect alone. I think that even if I'm wrong on that count and the fanbase doesn't thrive, a unique musical voice will be gained. (Okay, I was just trying to show how your same argument can be used against you.)

What do you call a person who advocates protesting against DCI because he/she is unhappy with the current state of the activity, who then turns and predicts that DCI will lose fans and it's because of electronics? It's like naaa nanny boo boo....I was against electronics in dci, so I protested and now the activity doesn't exist anymore. What will you do then?

yet all the changes since 2004 showed a decrease in attendance in 06 to 07 ( no 08 numbers released...hmmm) and this was pre-recession.

so what with the newest changes do you think will bring the fans in? band kids cant pay what die hard legacy fans can.

So Spirit and Teal suck? Thank you sir, I guess I enjoy suckcess!!!! You don't get to throw up what you use to do if you have abandoned those wonderful things for personally reasons--dci didn't shut you out, you decided against the activity.

actually dci making the changes they did have pushed me away. and many more like me.

The unique musical voice is the electric bass and keyboard featured in SPIRIT's "Live In Concert" this year. :laughing:

unique isnt something already done somewhere else. it's called copying.

The unique musical voice is the electric bass and keyboard featured in SPIRIT's "Live In Concert" this year. :laughing:

I'm sorry, I must have missed the reference to either Spirit or this year's show in

I think DCI will gain fans. I think if it becomes too much like BOA enough of it's fanbase will not erode and will not be in an economic crisis because drum corps is a summer activity unique in that aspect alone. I think that even if I'm wrong on that count and the fanbase doesn't thrive, a unique musical voice will be gained. (Okay, I was just trying to show how your same argument can be used against you.)

the post I was replying to. I thought it was about the uniqueness of drum corps that will be "much like BOA" in general, and how that will grow the fan base.

Clearly there's far more to it than that but if you're not getting it at this point it's time to move on....

Here is where it gets us: If you don't like electronics and they are being used by a few corps then we probably wouldn't have the same opinion when reviewing those corps because I am not anti-electronics. We could still discuss show design without dwelling on the electronics, if you've made it clear that you don't like them--right? So, all the reasons that you've come up with to justify your dislikes really wouldn't mean anything to me, and neither would my justification for the use of electronics mean anything to you. I would hope we could discuss the shows beyond that one difference. Could we?

It's good to hear you're giving it a fair shake. I'm in the same boat, really. If one really hates it, there's absolutely no reason to go. I'm interested in hearing what it sounds like live. If it's any worse than it sounds on the feeds, then my time may be approaching sooner than I thought.

you saw my Chambersburg review and you'll see my Allentown review. really...it's not worthit. it's a waste of money. we keep hearing of all these great ideas, and most arent doing anything but doubling parts from the field and the occasional cute effect

unique isnt something already done somewhere else. it's called copying.

Hm....then I guess marching band and drum corps go way back, and should have been merged long ago.