Carolina Crown Camp Report

i love the green bass heads!! lol crown is definitely gonna be the corps to look out for. this could be their year. theyve only been in finals since like 1990 right? wow, theyre rockin!!

They've actually only been in existence[b][/b] since 1990.

I am interested to see how their "Grass is always Greener" show idea is played out. I did pick up on a few touches of it in the pre-show drill (in addition to the obvious green drum heads), but look forward to seeing how it develops over the summer. By the way, I haven't gotten close enough to see what exactly is on the big bass drum (it''s not solid green like the rest of the bass drums). Does anyone know?

Edited by t-mac

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the new Crown video on the FN.

The one guy said "soda" then commented how he sounded Canadian...Canadians say "pop" :lol:

Went by for about 25 minutes last night. Working second number (I believe). This is the one with the Tuba feature playing in the Euphonium range along with muted trumpets. Lots of interesting/fast drill going on. Very energetic playing and marching. Some really "in your face" Mello licks followed by some huge impact by the rest of the hornline. Was nice to hear some poorly tuned notes corrected on the next run-thru (and they stayed fixed). Really cool to see everyone working for a common goal and making neccesary adjustments. Gonna try to get by for more tonight.

The song with the upper register tuba feature is Sensemaya. Increases in tempo and gets fiercer as it goes on. At the end the hornline is doing geometric drill in 7/4 at 200bpm, playing FFF. And, it's technically the 4th full song. Also, Crown has 122 pages of drill on the field. Expect lots of body movement in this years show.

The song with the upper register tuba feature is Sensemaya. Increases in tempo and gets fiercer as it goes on. At the end the hornline is doing geometric drill in 7/4 at 200bpm, playing FFF. And, it's technically the 4th full song. Also, Crown has 122 pages of drill on the field. Expect lots of body movement in this years show.

Cool. I was wondering how Klesch was going to arrange the tuba solo in Sensemaya. Apparently, he left it in the original register and added a couple more tubas to the part...

Hopefully I'll be able to sneak over to one of their rehearsals next week. (My fingers are crossed)

I went Saturday to watch ensemble block in which they were working on the 2nd piece (I think). As an alum all I can say (from the 2 hours I watched)...........................WOW. Just the one piece they were working was very very exciting. It's early, but the staff have done their homework and came with a show.

I will see them several times next week when they move to Nation Ford HS in Fort Mill before hitting the road.

I went Saturday to watch ensemble block in which they were working on the 2nd piece (I think). As an alum all I can say (from the 2 hours I watched)...........................WOW. Just the one piece they were working was very very exciting. It's early, but the staff have done their homework and came with a show.

I will see them several times next week when they move to Nation Ford HS in Fort Mill before hitting the road.

It is amazing what all is going on body-movement wise during Sensemaya (I know I probably butchered that spelling). Even the Tubas are doing a good bit while playing the Tuba feature. Pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing what they get on the field this week before they head for SC.

Heard their opener recording on fan network. Such a beautiful sound.