Much Love to the Vanguard!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They always seem to have something intriguing. If I remember right, years ago, that had these really neat "bass tubes" made out of 10"(?) PVC pipe that you hit with some sort of soft, oversized paddle. I think they were homemade. Neat stuff.

That was 1995 in their "Not the Nutcracker" show. It's amazing to me how many people (even within the vanguard organization itself) didn't like that show. I LOVED that show!

I have always loved SCV and the entire organization. They really show what it means to be a classy organization. I've said it before and I will say it again. If I grew up in California, I would most DEFINITELY have marched there.

Proud to say I know a handful of those kids. Their show is definitely one of my favorites this year, for the Vanguard has always been one of my favorites growing up--Key Poulan started the music program at my high school and I will forever be thankful for the mark he left there.

Vanguard Tradition. :thumbup:

As another one of the mid-80's Red Team guys, (and I might get flamed for this), I've felt there was something of a rivalry between (then) Garfield and SCV as to who could outdo the other when it came to Copeland. In '83-'85, SCV used volume, power, and gave Copeland a regal, majestic treatment, with the exception of The Red Pony in '85 which IMO did nothing for our show but showcase how loud our hornline could get at high tempo. Two years later GC countered with a completely different Copeland, with different middle-horn voicing, and wild drill.

I have only seen SCV once this year, and that was at the Riverside show. Even thought it was so early in the season, I immediately connected with what the kids were doing, and I was a WRECK; I hadn't sobbed at a show in over a decade. It was 11 minutes of sheer joy for me-- the majesty of it all--- and in my mind SCV has made an emphatic statement about who truly is "The King of Copeland"-- win, lose, or draw. :thumbup:

Edited by TRacer