How exactly are corps using synths, and what equipment are they using?

I don't have much connection with drum corps anymore, but I recently heard about the newfound desire to explore new sounds with synths and other things and I was intrigued. I come back to this board, however, and people seem to be upset about the situation. Can someone let me in on what's going on, can someone who's been to shows with some technical know-how give me the scoop on what keyboards the corps are using and how they're being implemented. I'm hoping no corps is using an $80 Casio or something :-\

I don't have much connection with drum corps anymore, but I recently heard about the newfound desire to explore new sounds with synths and other things and I was intrigued. I come back to this board, however, and people seem to be upset about the situation. Can someone let me in on what's going on, can someone who's been to shows with some technical know-how give me the scoop on what keyboards the corps are using and how they're being implemented. I'm hoping no corps is using an $80 Casio or something :-\

People are upset about the use of electronics because they feel it is taking away from the traditional DCI atmosphere. Most corps are using keyboards through sponsorship. For example, the Blue Devils are endorsing Roland products, so they are using that type of brand synth. How they are being implemented is a different story. You will find discussions here on DCP about that particular issue, so I will not even get into that. Hope this helps. :tongue:

I saw the annapolis show online yesterday and from those groups, in my humble opinion I think the synths are mostly doing what keyboards (marimbas etc.) could be doing. My favorite use of the synth so far is from the corps that use them but have them turned down so you cant hear them haha!

Ok, every time I open a thread to ask this specific set of questions my thread gets closed and I'm pointed to another thread that doesn't answer my questions.

So I'm going to ask it in every thread they pointed me to:

So I read all the posts linked to my closed thread and not a one of them directly answers my question: Are ALL electronic instruments allowed, including string bass, guitar, keyboards, mic'd flutes, and saxes with extention cords tied to them?

Again, I thought the electronics rule was specifically for the use of a synth/keyboard, i.e. a synth playing the sound of an electric bass, not allowing an actual string bass in the pit. If its allowing the use of any powered instrument, is there anything not allowed or can corps contact dynasty/yamaha/pearl and have mics built into a woodwind and now its considered legal?

Ok, every time I open a thread to ask this specific set of questions my thread gets closed and I'm pointed to another thread that doesn't answer my questions.

So I'm going to ask it in every thread they pointed me to:

So I read all the posts linked to my closed thread and not a one of them directly answers my question: Are ALL electronic instruments allowed, including string bass, guitar, keyboards, mic'd flutes, and saxes with extention cords tied to them?

Again, I thought the electronics rule was specifically for the use of a synth/keyboard, i.e. a synth playing the sound of an electric bass, not allowing an actual string bass in the pit. If its allowing the use of any powered instrument, is there anything not allowed or can corps contact dynasty/yamaha/pearl and have mics built into a woodwind and now its considered legal?

I'm still wondering about this myself...

Sorry that nobody's answered your question, but the title does contain the same statement you'd like to see answered. Thusly, it goes here.

As far as I know, electronics are legal with anything that provides a 1 action = 1 tone ratio. Keyboards, guitars and drum pads are good. Sequencers are not.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry that nobody's answered your question, but the title does contain the same statement you'd like to see answered. Thusly, it goes here.

As far as I know, electronics are legal with anything that provides a 1 action = 1 tone ratio. Keyboards, guitars and drum pads are good. Sequencers are not.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Mike

Were acoustic guitars technically legal before? Not that anyone would have used one since you wouldn't be able to hear it past 30 feet (Although I guess in the last few years you could have played an acoustic guitar into a mic ...).

Anyway, my question is -- were acoustic strings (guitars, harp, mandolin, whatever) specifically prohibited before these recent rule changes?

(Honest question -- please, no sniping :tongue: )