Rio Rancho

Anybody catch this show last night and can offer a review? Please share....

Some quick thoughts on the show.

I liked everyone better than I liked them last year, and that's not to say I disliked these corps last year, just that I really, really enjoyed all the shows this year.

Incognito - Good show with room to grow. It didn't seem like it was over their heads, but still tough enough where they have some cleaning to do before they finish. I especially enjoyed the part before the drum major salute.

Academy - A much, much better show than last year. Very enjoyable start to finish with some parts that should be extremly cool when they get them cleaned up. It's a show that should get them back into semis as long as they get some cleaning done. Crowd seemed to really like the show.

Troopers - A fun twist on the West Side Story music. Lots of early season mistakes through the show right now that I expect will be gone before too long. Enjoyable show that should really be good in a few weeks if they get it cleaner.

SCV - Good show, just nothing really too memorable in it until the huge company front push towards the end which was simply amazing. Cleanest corps of the night by far. Company front was probably the loudest crowd moment of the entire night. Can't say enough about the company front.

Bluecoats - WOW!!!! Not sure I really need to say much more. Needs some cleaning quite obviously, but that was one heck of a show. Not sure how I feel about them taking off the jackets and helmets for the closer. It was done tastefully and had a cool effect seeing them march around in all black, kinda reminiscint of how Blast! looks with the all black and no headgear. Just not sure it needed to be there. Easily a crowd favortie show.

Blue Knights - I didn't think I would like this show, but I did. Fairly entertaining from start to finish. Have some parts where you know that they will add movement for the brass that isn't put in yet. Really nice ballad. Don't care so much for the synthsized wind effect, but everyone around me did, so there you go.

I agree with the judges placements, though I would have had the bluecoats winning by a little more and would have had blue knights a little closer to Academy and Troopers. But then, I don't get paid to judge.