Toledo Review

Well of course the staff can and will do as they see fit, but the argument that FFF volume AND quality tone and balance can not be achieved simultaneously is completely bunk IMO, so I guess what I don't understand is why they CHOOSE to play with a limited dynamic range in such a GE driven activity.

Great Review!

The thing about Cavies dynamics...come on guys...

If you hear their horn line, you know it's the Cavies. They have a very distinct sounds, and not too many corps have that any more. I would say that Cavies, Cadets, Crown and BD have the most distinctive sounds in the activity, and the staff all teach in their own ways. I appreciate what every single one of them are putting out there, and am really tired of all the crap they get. They are some amazing players, and they can choose to march anywhere they want. They march at Cavies and know they aren't going to be the loudest line at the show, but they still put out a clean, sharp sound. I LOVE DRUM CORPS!

-Travis

I have very much enjoyed their brass sound in the past (00, 02, 04), but I don't this year. They do have a very distinctive sound and it is very controlled and balanced. This year, however, it just seems too controlled and it is not balanced. In my opinion, if the low sounds are not the loudest, the sound is not balanced. I guess that I feel Francis McBeth's "Pyramid of Balance" is a fairly accepted theory of musical balance, which in this show is not happening up to this point. Also, I very much dislike their repertoire...which reflects in my review of their show.

Edited by TheICON

Let the corps do their thing and judge that. If they don't play loud enough for you or you don't like what they're doing, go get a hot dog of nachos. I truly enjoy sheer volume, so Cavies has become my nacho corps. As an added bonus, the lines are real short.

Drum Corps is about "higher, faster & louder"...controlled sounds? pssstt....belongs in the concert hall. We pay money to be blown out of the stands!!!!

:worthy: