Best head?

ElCajonSalvo

LOL!!!

Speaking in my VERY humble opinion, what i personally have found to work best with those yamaha sfz snares is a black max snare on top and the standard white......falam? heads, I think on bottom. I've also heard the black max on top w/mylar heads on bottom sound pretty all right too. however, I'm not going to say this is the BEST, because I am in no position to make that kind of judgment haha. This is just what i prefer

I agree with what you said!

The low profile collar Ambassador Snare Sides for marching are fine heads, but do require you to tippy toe around tuning. We were blowing them out like crazy regardless of tension. They provide a great wet sound, but Remo must have had some quality issues with a large batch...same with the Suedes...

I prefer the BlackMax over K Falam II Snare Side as well.

Yes, the BlackMax heads are great on the sfz snares, and they're much easier on your hands. The only issue that I've experienced is with the sfz models that include the top gut. Since the guts are metal, they tend to eat away at the bottom side of your top head resulting in more frequent replacement.

Can't recall her name. Seems like it was the summer of '69..........

Would that be Diane?

The low profile collar Ambassador Snare Sides for marching are fine heads, but do require you to tippy toe around tuning. We were blowing them out like crazy regardless of tension. They provide a great wet sound, but Remo must have had some quality issues with a large batch...

I've never had a problem blowing out Mylar bottom heads ...until this year. Our low-profile marching Ambassadors kept ripping right at the edge of the snare bed. Waxing the bearing edge seems to have helped a bit.

As for my favorite (drum) heads:

On top: Premier Marathon. Of course, they're a little hard to find since they've been out of production for years. So with that in mind, I can live with an Evans Hybrid, Remo White or Black Max, or Evans MX White.

On bottom: I like Mylar. Remo Ambassador, Evans MS3, or Ludwig Xtra Thin.

Edited by SkyDog

HA! I LOVE IT! :thumbdown:

As for my favorite (drum) heads:

On top: Premier Marathon.

This.

I still had one from when I marched and I recently put it on an old Ludwig snare that I bought off eBay and it sounds great.

On top: Premier Marathon. Of course, they're a little hard to find since they've been out of production for years. So with that in mind, I can live with an Evans Hybrid, Remo White or Black Max, or Evans MX White.

On bottom: I like Mylar. Remo Ambassador, Evans MS3, or Ludwig Xtra Thin.

I prefer mylar top and bottom.

I currently have an Aquarian Precision Parade on top.

The Aquarian Supreme Snare head ripped along the bearing edge, so I put a Remo Ambassador on the bottom and it's doing fine.

Once we get the cash rounded up for new heads, all our snares will be sporting the Aquarians on batter side and probably the Ambassadors on snare side. (I'll give the Aquarian Supreme Snare another chance by buying another head and seeing how it holds up.)

• 4 weeks later...