Memories of Past Corps

Loudest corps...... EVER! Even corps today with 70 horns can't compete.

Too bad they felt they had to cheat to win. They were one of my favorate corps up until then.

I hear that for finals MANY corps had holes.....hmmmmmmm makes ya wonder...also hear that a cut snare or drummer who went to an unmentioned corps started the process......OOOO well guaess we wont know now... But YES they were the best at that time

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, now! Like they were the only corps doing that?

So you were OK with all the other corps doing it?

Hey, he's doing 'roids, let's do it too?

Nope. Don't buy it.

Nope. Don't buy it.

Overage? Whatever. But steroids? I got no problem. Because I favor legalization anyway.

Overage? Whatever. But steroids? I got no problem. Because I favor legalization anyway.

Only problem with steriods is that kids are influenced and don't know how to properly use them (I was a gym rat for awhile). Bottomline though is that they are illegal. Like weed. Sure, it should be legalized but the fact still remains, it's illegal. You get caught, you pay the price. Same goes for the Muchachos.

I'd never advocate steroids for kids for the same reason I wouldn't advocate booze or sexual activity-their bodies and minds aren't equipped to handle it yet.

Topic? Love me sime Muchachos. I can only imagine how good the Cabs wewre in the mid 70s if the MUCHACHOS were their FEEDER corps. Marrone.

Nope. Don't buy it.

I don't think he was advocating the overage thing, just making a comment that a lot of corps did it back then, that's a fact. I have heard many folk from that era say their corps had a few overage.

I don't think he was advocating the overage thing, just making a comment that a lot of corps did it back then, that's a fact. I have heard many folk from that era say their corps had a few overage.

BITD members stayed with corps unless they folded so it was much easier for someone to stay a year or two longer than they were allowed to. If you marched in the 60s or 70s you probably know of at least one first hand situations. One I personally know of where the corps director told a guy at the corps banquet that he wasn't aging out that the corps needed him to stay another year.

Too bad they felt they had to cheat to win. They were one of my favorate corps up until then.

Who are you referring to? The entire corps? That is bullsh*t. If I had known I was marching with an overage member, I would have led a revolt. I challenge you - "they" - the entire corps - did NOT know they had ringers.

One of my memories is how Hawthorne had glued rubber patches to their snare shells and would flip their drums over and play on the rubber to warm up all the way to the gates of a stadium - while no one else thought of that, our hands were cooling off while theirs were getting warmer.

During a week in August - Hawthorne was getting kicked around. Earlier at DCI East, then World Open. At CYO Nationals they turned the world upside down with their performance. It certainly had people wondering what would happen in Philly.

I have always wondered what the kids in Madison were thinking about after CYO Nationals in 1975?

Who are you referring to? The entire corps? That is bullsh*t. If I had known I was marching with an overage member, I would have led a revolt. I challenge you - "they" - the entire corps - did NOT know they had ringers.

One of my memories is how Hawthorne had glued rubber patches to their snare shells and would flip their drums over and play on the rubber to warm up all the way to the gates of a stadium - while no one else thought of that, our hands were cooling off while theirs were getting warmer.

During a week in August - Hawthorne was getting kicked around. Earlier at DCI East, then World Open. At CYO Nationals they turned the world upside down with their performance. It certainly had people wondering what would happen in Philly.

I have always wondered what the kids in Madison were thinking about after CYO Nationals in 1975?

This is actually a good point above...maybe some of us were just plain naive, but I was 16 years old that year and all I was focused on was performing to the best of my ability. No one in the corps ever talked about any overage allegations all season. No one in the corps ever joked about overage allegations that season.... 1975 was my first opportunity to perform with a national caliber corps, so that's all I cared about. When everything came to a halt after prelims, everyone was devastated of course, but many of us were genuinely surprised that we were even in this situation at all...