Portland Summer Music Games

Nice show. I feel sorry for the kids who thought marching in the Northwest would be a cool affair. It was in the 90's here today.

I left before the scores, but just saw them on DCI.org. Pretty much as expected.

OPEN CLASS

Oregon Crusaders - 65.5

Nice show, good sound for only their 2nd show, I think? Their color guard is in desperate need of some practice. Dont' do dance moves if you can't dance. And geez, learn the routine!

WORLD CLASS

Cascades - 62.5

Welcome back, Cascades. Your hornline blending needs a lot of work. Not to start a discussion about the dreaded use of electronic keyboards, but your use demonstrates all the badness associated with it. If your hornline isn't up to par, the synthesized sound is quite prevelent. It was also very NOT subtle.

Troopers - 73.1

The Troopers are my new favorite corps when it comes to putting on an entertaining show. Great use of the corps legendary frontier motif, "Western Side Story" was a marvelous blend of West Side Story and Cowboys and Indians. Take THAT Cadets! Incredible sound for a relatively small hornline. They were spot on. And hey, not a synthesizer in sight. How refreshing.

Blue Knights - 76.2

The good side of electronic sounds in a drum corps show, it was mostly used for sound effects and an occasional emphasis in a piece. Subtlety is the key word. Thanks for demonsrtrating it. Great use of the material and theme. The ski poles were a great touch.

Vanguard - 81.7

Very entertaining show, beautifully played, very well marched... but not entertaining, in my book. LOUD yes, precise yes. But still left me a little flat. Here the use of synthesizer was used to round out the sound of the corps on the lower end, but it kind of went overboard and was very present rather than blending.

Thanks for the review! This show is comin to my hometown on Monday and I can't wait!!

No synth in the Troopers pit? It was there on June 23.... Hm.

Vanguard - 81.7

Very entertaining show, beautifully played, very well marched... but not entertaining, in my book.

Please explain how it is very entertaining...but not entertaining

:smile::cool::smile::cool::worthy::worthy::smile::cool::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, a contradiction, sorry. Should've 'splained myself better.

I meant to say that it was a very entertaining concept. I love Appalachian Spring.

Yeah, a contradiction, sorry. Should've 'splained myself better.

I meant to say that it was a very entertaining concept. I love Appalachian Spring.

I know what you mean. SCV is well...very SCV this year! Had Crown, Cadets and BD not brought their very best this year, SCV would be the run away favorite to take it all, but the season's far from over. Their company front is a drum corps moment many will refer to for some time, it's impossible to stay in your seat!

Thanks Eddy, I get what you mean now.

Too bad Cascades cook trailer generator was running full throttle during SCV's performance. I especially appreciated that you also parked right next to field for maximum effect. Nice touch. :thumbup:

Next time (if there is a next time) try not to tick-off the people who paid $40 mostly to see the headliner, SCV.

Edited by Strutters '72