Why bash Crown?

AMEN....and I marched Spirit back in the early 80's. I love Crown's show this year!

I'm a FMM, what years did you march? I marched '80, '81' and '82.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For one, the appeal of a drum corps show is much more universal than one would think. It's hard for me in my mind to account for the discrepancy in that what makes me like the show doesn't make him like the show, or anyone else for that matter. I assume he hasn't really given it a chance, or, more likely, is biased against Crown since he's marched Glassmen before. I on the other hand have no allegiance to or against any particular organization since I haven't marched, but I recognize a quality drum corps show when I see it (something that is a lot more objective than you would think).

dude, it's just marching band. you like it or you don't.

You like Crown they are the Drum Corps Gods...

You hate them (like me) they should just fold right now and let DCI be what it should be...

How mature and respectful of you. Why in the hell are you wishing for a corps to ####### fold, for god's sake? Sure, you can not like a certain show a corps puts on, but what in the hell did the organization do to you that makes you want them to fold? That is RIDICULOUS. You should seriously be ashamed.

It's high quality High School marching band Show.

Why is it a high school marching band show? Because it has a theme? Because it plays popular music?

So, is EVERY show that the Cavaliers does considered a high school marching band show? 2004 had a very precise theme. 2006 had a very precise theme. 2007 played popular music. 2008 had a very precise theme.

I'm a FMM, what years did you march? I marched '80, '81' and '82.

Yes that's we need....people wishing corps to fold...Get over it.....Crown's show is just good, whether any of you bashers think so or not.....It is the most original of any of the top 12....We could go climb a mountain, but I saw Columbia Central High School from Columbia, Tn do that show last year at Contest of Champions at MTSU

HEY! It was that halo show haha... hey Im from Siegel, you know the second place people that shoulda got 1st? um I was told by alot of people up in the stands on the way back to the trailer that we got cheated out of winning. I assume you were there and I really didnt think deserved Jhonny O deserved 1st. Whats your view?

I'm amused at how serious crown fans gets.

Thank you for proving my point :D

If crown is going to Hang in the top, the fans need to learn to take criticism.

If crown is going to Hang in the top, the fans need to learn to take criticism.

Criticism is one thing...bring it on!

But wishing the corps would fold? Thats just wrong...come on.

I'm amused at how serious crown fans gets.

Thank you for proving my point :D

It's not the fact that we are "Crown fans", it is the fact that we are fans of this activity. In this day and age, when music and arts are being cut from the educational agenda of virtually every public school district, you have the audacity to say you hope the Carolina Crown organization folds? Great. That is 150 less young adults every year that get to see the rewards of music in their lives. I just find it so funny how you are blithely unaware of what is going on in today's society and utilize your personal opinions about a show a certain corps is doing, to say that you think that corps should be pulled away from DCI. And it's not JUST the 150 members each year that are positively affected- it is the fans, the parents, and the corps staff also.

And if your point was for DCI fans to show how much they love DCI and the corps that are in it, and the fact that the kids from EVERY corps, including Carolina Crown, go out day after day and work their tails off, then guess what? POINT. PROVEN.

You seem to like the Cavaliers. I wonder how proud of you they would be to see you wishing that a corps would fold.

Look folks, the bottom line, and once again to answer the OPs original question, is that we all have personal tastes. There are certain styles that we enjoy in a corps, a type of music, a style of drill or overall show theme, and we know instantly when we like a show.

I did not enjoy Crown when I saw them at Dublin, but my second viewing (on demand at Beverly) was a much better read with many of their new additions. I really like their show now. I still see Cadets beating them come finals, but I would definitely say that Carolina Crown is a top 3 show this year. They are great.

However, bashing a corps and being critical of a corps or show are two different things. Many on DCP have been critical of George Hopkins over the years. Most do not hate him, but they are critical of him. Some of this criticism has shifted down to the Cadets as well, because they often move in the direction GH wants them to (many of the new technologies being employed by the corps these days). Again, most people on DCP do not hate the Cadets, but they are critical of the Cadets. It comes with the territory. If you are top 3 as often as they have been, with 9 world titles and oodles of innovative and amazing shows, you are open to many critical comments when you try things that are out of the mainstream. It's life in the top 3!

This is not to say that there are no haters on DCP. There are, but most just have preferences and prejudices (the good kind, not racial or hate related). These prejudices are what we would call our "fan boy" pride, our favorites. These are the corps for whose colors we bleed, even when they are not so good. Sometimes this can cause us to be critical of those who beat our favorites, and this is only natural in the competitive arena. I can't remember a show in a while (live) where I didn't think the Bluecoats were screwed just a little bit by the judges, either in terms of score or placement, or both. Just me rooting for the home team, even when it might have been clear to all others that corps "B" was better. The "honk" in me has pride, not in a hateful way but in a very prideful way. So I may be critical of another corps, but I certainly do not wish hate on any corps.

Also, someone mentioned that a drum corps show is more universally liked or enjoyed than one would think. Not true! Three reasons for this:

1. Personal taste and a skilled knowledge in what you prefer and like.

2. Competition and the knowledge that another corps might beat your favorite, or perhaps will defeat a style for which you like.

3. A little bit of both #1 and #2

Meaning this: some really don't find Carolina Crown's show all that appealing because it does not meat requirement #1 above. Others do not like it because of #2 above. For some, it's a little of both #1 and #2.