Unfair Fairfield

i agree with the fact that the story hasn't developed fully enough to follow yet on the field.

the premise is (and i'm summarizing from Trueman's Travels) is that the corps enters the field with the guard as if they've just left a party one night. along the way a peddler is hocking his wares to people...just so happens he has the Red Violin. he ends up convincing the two lead characters (a young, poor couple down and out on their luck) to take it.

the power of the red violin takes over and the guy wins fame and glory...while swept up in the attention he's seduced by a temptress who steals him away and then takes the violin for herself. in the end (and will probably be rewritten) his true love gets the violin back for him.

i don't think it's tragic enough. i think he should end it all b/c of the loss of fame, a la death of a salesman or something.

<stupidity clause: i may have possibly misinterpreted or left something out somewhere b/c i'm old and forgetful).

Also, I'm not sure if this is a new addition, but at the very end of Phantom's show, the main guard character throws the red violin away then embraces his girl, as if saying that he doesn't need it for true happiness or something like that. I think this gesture provides a great end to the story and even presents a kind of moral.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

recaps. very interesting.

In what way?

(Asking purely out of curiosity in regards to your opinion)

BS beat cavies in a subcaption

the ending's new Tez, but you know PR...things will change.

interesting to see PR beat Cavs in Viz Per. guard seems to be holding them back in achievement.

not quite liking the drums in 2nd, but there's a lot of new blood this year. Rennick will put them through their paces though.

Edited by chaos001

a visual one at that.

beat phantom in vis ens and cg

To Look for Specifically:

1. Are Cavies increasing their sound volume? At Normal, they were mf at best. I am looking for a lot more dynamics

2. Has PR included any new elements? Their ending seemed a little bit of a letdown and lots of standing last time I saw them.

3. What does Blue Stars new ending look like? Someone said they just added it.

THANKS!

1. If people still complain about the Cavaliers not having enough sound... I think they just need to be patient. Through the first several minutes of their show, it does seem like they are holding back, never really going for that top dynamic. But in the back half, maybe on 2 or 3 chords (like the end of the ballad) I think they do try to really open up. They still don't "go for it" like some other corps do, but you do get the nice ringing vibration that comes from a hornline playing at full volume. Of course, I thought the Cavaliers were really loud in those few spots, quite a bit louder than all the corps prior, but then Phantom Regiment came out and provided the audience a brand new definition of loud.

2. I'm sorry, but I purposely tried to not get too familiar with any of the corps shows tonight beforehand, but now I can go back and watch their early videos and maybe I can answer this better. I mentioned that little ending touch in an above post, but I'm not sure if that was new tonight or not.

3. The new Blue Stars ending is fantastic... I remember a lot of crazy drill then some really loud chords.... sorry not too informative, but it was really entertaining, and definitely felt like an ending.

Well, I noticed that. :thumbup: I figured that perhaps there's more to it than that...

Oh, I do have a question that I hope someone can answer (and it show my ignorance a bit regarding the captions). But how do the Blue Stars get 3rd/4th in the Visual Performance subcaptions, yet score 1st/3rd in Visual Ensemble? I think I have an idea about how that works, but I figured someone on here would be able to explain it completely.

Well, I noticed that. :thumbup: I figured that perhaps there's more to it than that...

Oh, I do have a question that I hope someone can answer (and it show my ignorance a bit regarding the captions). But how do the Blue Stars get 3rd/4th in the Visual Performance subcaptions, yet score 1st/3rd in Visual Ensemble? I think I have an idea about how that works, but I figured someone on here would be able to explain it completely.

Well, the two captions are judged from two completely different areas (perf. on field, ens. from the box)... so that may have a lot to do with it.

Well, the two captions are judged from two completely different areas (perf. on field, ens. from the box)... so that may have a lot to do with it.

Visual Performance is individual marching, right?