Not old enough to know

a marching trumpet

Which reminds me..... olde pharte story alert... :blink:

Back around the mid 80s my sister bought a P/R contra (with case even) for $50 at a flea market near Hershey. PA. Guy had no idea what a contra was but was glad to sell it because he hurt his back trying to move it once. :lol: Sis played with it a few years then asked me to find a buyer. Sold it to the Yanee-Rebel Alumni which were starting up..... <snipping long story> Guy who picked it up recognized the dent pattern in the bell. Turns out it was stolen from the Buccs after the Hershey show.

And not really a surprise as we guessed it was stolen anyway... but nice to find out for sure.... :lol:

HEY!....give it back! :worthy:

That's actually grand theft, not a misdemeanor and receiving stolen property.

Might be a good idea to delete these entries. :tongue:

Edited by Martybucs

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEY!....give it back! :lol:

That's actually grand theft, not a misdemeanor and receiving stolen property.

Might be a good idea to delete these entries. :worthy:

Seriously I appreciate the concern but I've told that story a few times so I'd have to use the old Superman memory erase trick on some folks to cover my tracks. Wonder what the penalty is for finding out it was stolen after selling it to the guy who told you it was stolen? :tongue: Irony was after I sold it, the guy said: "OK, I gave you the check. The horn is now ours... But just have to ask, how did you get this horn?". I told the story and ended with "...far as we know it might be stolen".

He got a smile on his face and said "It was, I marched next to the guy who carried it and recognize the dent pattern". I started smiling and he thought I didn't believe the "dent pattern" ID. Then I said what I played and he realized I DID believe it.

As I remember sis saw it when she was driving on Route 22 between Hershey and Harrisburg and the contra was sitting outside with other "stuff". She drove by at 50+MPH and few seconds later it was: "WTF?..... nah, couldn't be..... #### I'm going back to look again". After she bought it the guy running the place asked "Do you want the case too?". Our parents could have killed her when she came in with the horn. :lol: She had played tuba in the HS MB (at 5' 3") so she knew how to play.

Edit: And in the back of my mind a little voice saying: "If corps were still using P/R this would REALLY be a ####ed up situation."

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Seriously I appreciate the concern but I've told that story a few times so I'd have to use the old Superman memory erase trick on some folks to cover my tracks. Wonder what the penalty is for finding out it was stolen after selling it to the guy who told you it was stolen? :tongue: Irony was after I sold it, the guy said: "OK, I gave you the check. The horn is now ours... But just have to ask, how did you get this horn?". I told the story and ended with "...far as we know it might be stolen".

He got a smile on his face and said "It was, I marched next to the guy who carried it and recognize the dent pattern". I started smiling and he thought I didn't believe the "dent pattern" ID. Then I said what I played and he realized I DID believe it.

As I remember sis saw it when she was driving on Route 22 between Hershey and Harrisburg and the contra was sitting outside with other "stuff". She drove by at 50+MPH and few seconds later it was: "WTF?..... nah, couldn't be..... #### I'm going back to look again". After she bought it the guy running the place asked "Do you want the case too?". Our parents could have killed her when she came in with the horn. :lol: She had played tuba in the HS MB (at 5' 3") so she knew how to play.

Edit: And in the back of my mind a little voice saying: "If corps were still using P/R this would REALLY be a ####ed up situation."

funny story, except when you think of what a contra costs, even BITD.

Can't say that either you or your sister would be liable, other than if you definitely knew, for certain, that it was stolen, which you didn't. Where's Lee Rudnick?

I'm sure the statute of limitations has probably run out on the alleged crime anyhow,

funny story, except when you think of what a contra costs, even BITD.

Yeah I heard that, we checked with Westshore after she got it but none of their stuff was missing. Then again it was after WSM sold their stuff to the California Dons and think that sale was after they had gone 2v. Other legal guess was Hershey Chocolatiers who had been gone for about ten years. We guessed stolen or someone bought/kept theirs after the conversion to 2v then got tired of it. Think she had it about 2-3 years and I sold it in the parking lot of a Mickey Ds just before we bought our house in 1991. Felt good that we found a corps that actually needed a contra then we found out it was stolen and oh ####....

Internet back then would have been great if someone had kept the serial numbers.

Edit cuz I just remembered: Horn almost ended up with Westshoremen and never would have known the history behind it. Asked one of their contras, who I kind of knew, if they could use a horn and he said yes. Then he more or less demanded (in a less than "customer friendly" manner) that I donate the horn because I was an ex-member.

Think I buried myself enough now and the moral is to keep the serial numbers and have them noterized or something so there is a legal record.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Yeah I heard that, we checked with Westshore after she got it but none of their stuff was missing. Then again it was after WSM sold their stuff to the California Dons and think that sale was after they had gone 2v. Other legal guess was Hershey Chocolatiers who had been gone for about ten years. We guessed stolen or someone bought/kept theirs after the conversion to 2v then got tired of it. Think she had it about 2-3 years and I sold it in the parking lot of a Mickey Ds just before we bought our house in 1991. Felt good that we found a corps that actually needed a contra then we found out it was stolen and oh ####....

Internet back then would have been great if someone had kept the serial numbers.

Edit cuz I just remembered: Horn almost ended up with Westshoremen and never would have known the history behind it. Asked one of their contras, who I kind of knew, if they could use a horn and he said yes. Then he more or less demanded (in a less than "customer friendly" manner) that I donate the horn because I was an ex-member.

Think I buried myself enough now and the moral is to keep the serial numbers and have them noterized or something so there is a legal record.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bucs have the serial numbers, but it's after the fact now. The original thief is lucky.

When I lived on State Street in Media, PA, I used to park on the busy street, (just because I loved having my car side-swiped by people trying to squeeze between the trolley and parked cars). I was in Buccaneers and we had gotten a set of 2v Ultratones in the cases that had the herring bone cloth sides. (hated the OLDS 2v's BTW).

Well, I got home late from a show and left the case in the back seat of my 1976 Ford Granada Eurosport Coupe. Sunday morning I come out and the driver's side window is smashed and they took my stereo and the 2v bugle out of the back seat.

I call the Bucs and get the serial number for insurance purposes. I call the insurance company and explain that my car was broken into and they took the stereo. The woman asked, "Is anything else missing, because the stereo isn't covered?"

I said, "Yes, they took my horn."

"Your horn?", she asked slowly.

"Yes, my horn, out of the back seat."

"You're horn was in the back seat?" she asked, again rather slowly.

"Yes, it was in the back seat and I think that's all they got."

"Can I ask you a question please?' 'If the horn was in the back seat, how do you use it?"

I see where this is going now and answer, "Well, you blow into it like a trumpet."

She says, "You have to blow into your car horn, that you keep in the back seat?"

I come clean with, "No, it was a drum and bugle corps, bugle that was in it's case in the back seat. It's like a trumpet, but with only two valves, and the drum corps is...."

She interrupts me with, "Ohhhhhhhhh, I understand now...I will need a description and the serial number if you have it and the approximate value..."

yes that's it. Left hand behind the left ear, right hand far in front. Very awkward. I think I have pictures, somewhere...

You know they are old and crappy when a whole line of that is GIVEN to your corps. Hey we made the best of it and won brass in our class in 95! haha

Was it an Olds Ultratone or Duratone? It might have been a Getzen "pea-shooter". Those puppies were an intonation nightmare! Heck, north of the border it could have easily been a Whaley-Royce Imperial.

Was it an Olds Ultratone or Duratone? It might have been a Getzen "pea-shooter". Those puppies were an intonation nightmare! Heck, north of the border it could have easily been a Whaley-Royce Imperial.

Olds Ultratone, I'm 99% certain. I need to find my picture albums though. They are in a box somewhere...

Olds Ultratone, I'm 99% certain. I need to find my picture albums though. They are in a box somewhere...

Didn't come from the Pennsylvania/Maryland area did it? :worthy:

* Ducking from Marty * :devil::worthy:

Wish I had pictures of the piston/rotor "Baby Contras" Westshore had 1974 and again 1984/1985. They were out of date then but cheap . So small even I had fun playing (around with) them. Think if you rested them on their bell, they only came up to your waist.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari