Not old enough to know

a marching trumpet

Well, this is an "I've been told..." also, but I have a lot of respect for the guy that did the telling. When you look at spec, bear in mind that most manufacturers give bore specs as measured at the valve cluster, and don't often publish flare rates. (at least I've not seen them).

...Brain exploded again............is that possible...? :tongue:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Brain exploded again............is that possible...? :tongue:

Is what possible? Measuring the diameter of the tubing at the point it enters the valve cluster is ideed possible. Of course, it is easier to do before the horn is assembled...

Wow, not this science fair project again! :tongue:

As far as G bugles go, I'm going to be a homer here and say the King K series. The K-90 Contra is still worshiped in some circles and I am yet to see or hear a euphonium as impressive as the K-80s. The K-50 mello was light and agile in feel, yet still capable of a dark sweet tone. For whatever reason the three valve bugles I have played just don't seem to have the same feel or response as the two valve Kings. I might feel different if I spent a season or two on them.

The F mello I play now is far easier to control, though ponderous compared the G mello. From a mello player perspective the switch to Bb/F has been better. We are no longer soprano-lite, and now a true dark middle voice.

Oh who cares about the higher voices. :fight::tongue:

Thanks for the laugh. :tongue:

Wow, not this science fair project again! :tongue:

As far as G bugles go, I'm going to be a homer here and say the King K series. The K-90 Contra is still worshiped in some circles and I am yet to see or hear a euphonium as impressive as the K-80s. The K-50 mello was light and agile in feel, yet still capable of a dark sweet tone. For whatever reason the three valve bugles I have played just don't seem to have the same feel or response as the two valve Kings. I might feel different if I spent a season or two on them.

The F mello I play now is far easier to control, though ponderous compared the G mello. From a mello player perspective the switch to Bb/F has been better. We are no longer soprano-lite, and now a true dark middle voice.

I'm with you. I play a 2 valve King K-20 G soprano.

....my Brain just exploded...........

But if you saw a pile of horns and someone asked you how to weld them together (or cut them apart) bet you'd know the answer. :fight:

Excuse me.... someone asked yinz... :tongue:

LOL times like this I'm glad my musical knowledge is limited to looking at sheet music and knowing what buttons to push down. :tongue:

This has definately been the most positive aspect of the new instrumentation. As a mello player myself, I can appreciate that the F mello with the Bb high and low voices does give drumcorps their first true alto voice.

And really though - Ultratones were the apex.

Here's something that I've always wanted to try. G sopranos, F mellos, G baritones and whatever pitch the tuba is in. (Bb or c i dont really know) I think a hornline like that would have a nice blend of power and tone

Alright, thanks for the response, it sounds like the G wouldve been a nice thing to hear in a corp

Many alumni corps are still using G horns. You can't always go by a recording because the viceral sound of a G line gets lost in most recordings. You have to experience it live to get the best effect.

Renegades have varied in size over the years, but I think the average horn line has been in the 40-50 member range.

I think the first year Renegades came east, they had 76 horns. But remember that the arranging has much to do with the fullness of sound.