Kingsport review

I will apologize to Music City Legend, as we were at Taco Bell talking with a few members of PR. We missed Music City Legend's exhibition as we thought the performance would start at 7:30. Additionally, I am just throwing thoughts out there, if I offend somebody because your child/friend/significant other marches in a corps listed below, please ignore the comments. I am not trying to ensue a war, just giving my thoughts. It was a good night for drum corps.

Memphis Sound--decent numbers in horns and battery, a larger guard would do wonders for visual, but you are doing the best with what you have. Horns were noticeably weaker than drums--lots of bad releases and/or sustain issues in horns during movement. I am sure this will improve dramatically over the course of the season. Front ensemble seemed to be the tightest. Good job!

Legends--I have never seen Legends and was surprised/impressed. The drumline was clearly better than Memphis. Note: guard designers--if the guard outfit was designed to catch attention, you did a great job. It is probably the most interesting guard "uniform" that I have seen a cg wear, perhaps dating back to '97 with the Coachmen wearing the "Daisy Duke" shorts and rolled t-shirts. This was a shame too, musically, the group is doing some difficult stuff very well.

Spirit--holy crowd reaction Batman! The audience was completely into this show. The front ensemble was (for me) the most enjoyable of all corps that night. With this said, designers, please find a way to get rid of a few of the "mic checks" during the show. I get the effect, most of the audience did, but after a few times, it loses effect and looks as though you are doing it just to make sure "all the bases are covered" that are covered in a real concert. It was done so much that I was expecting a mic check at the end (perhaps DCI can come up with a "best mic check" award at Finals). Perhaps the "mic checks" worked, as when the hornline finally got to open up, the audience went crazy (please note: the audience still goes nuts for the all brass hornline. I didn't see/hear a single person scream "Hooray, more mic checks!"). As for the music, very well arranged and well played. Some friends with me really enjoyed the drumline theatrics, and they were neat. Visual execution (particularly facings and horn angles) were quite varied throughout the ensemble and I think this is the primary reason for low execution scores, although I think the pants don't help. I couldn't believe I was saying this after their performance, but this is one of my favorite programs from Spirit in many, many years. Biggest likes: entire corps energy, front ensemble, and drumline theatrics. Biggest disappointments: upper body carriage in the corps proper and the overuse of electronics made it seem more BOA than I'd like--other than those, a great show.

Glassmen--Ok, I am going to hurt some feelings here, but I rarely get into Glassmen shows. I have liked 07, 98, even 94, but for the most part, I find myself mentally waking up during most Glassmen productions. Having said this, and to me, Glassmen had the best designed program last night. It is a wonderful production from the opening snare solo until the very end. The color guard is QUITE good and I might have even scored them 1st. Drums and horns were good, but their GE really helps sell this show. I am not sure if the guard are helping this or whether the GE is helping the guard, but both are very good. The triangles on the pants need to go, as they look like they telegraph prior movement. Biggest likes: design, color guard, and overall production. Biggest disappointments: hornline support, lower uniform design, and upper body carriage. Note: visual cleaners--please make sure that the tubas (contras) hold their head the same way down the line. Its distracting when this isn't happening.

Blue Stars--You want field coverage? They got it. You want a hornline that plays wonderfully and at fff with intensity? They got it. Blue Stars have crafted a fantastic production this year and have pulled out all the stops in order to bring down the house. The props (tables and chairs) at first I thought were distracting, but visually effective. Unlike most props used in shows, they have multiple uses and their presence is really important to the overall production. The ballad is gorgeous, but loses a bit of continuity with air support through movement and I am sure that this will improve as the season continues. The use of the blue/white star flags was striking, really added to the momentum, and helped developed the theme. The drill was fantastic, perhaps not executed well, but the design is there. The horns have a rich sound despite having "only" 10 tubas. At times, I think the trumpets tended to be a little bright but perhaps the horn staff was aiming for this sound for their show. Overall a great product that will be pushing for a top 6 finish when clean. Biggest likes: drill, guard integration, and GE vis. Biggest disappointments: trumpet ensemble sound, member placement at props (tables, which do not make straight diagonals), and the ending--does not fit the energy/intensity of the rest of the show.

Phantom--I didn't march Phantom, but they have always been my number #2 corps. I really enjoyed the new uniform, but oddly enough, think it makes the members look anorexic when facing the endzone. I enjoyed the dance in the guard but thought that the equipment was a weak point for this usually phenomenal guard. Enjoyed the red streamers (reminiscent of '96) and thought the effect was fantastic. What this show needs is field coverage! Performing after Blue Stars didn't help, as Blue Stars (with the help of their props) took up most of the field. When PR came on, they looked "small" by comparison. There were a handful of excellent hornline releases--one that was absolutely amazing. The drumline is smoking (per usual). I can't help but notice that the inside of the Quantum horn bells look slightly yellow. Don't know why. Hornline sound is fantastic. Not crazy about the sound of the Dynasty drums, but the wraps were nice. Feet were cleanest of the night, but not up to the usual standard of Phantom. Overall, I was just really left wanting a drum corps show after watching Phantom. They executed well, its just that the show didn't reach the audience and this was noticeable. The members are doing exactly what they are being asked, I just don't think this show has the design for the top 4. Biggest likes: hornline attacks, releases/balance (great mello section), smoking hot drumline, and body movement. Biggest disappointments: overall design, limited field coverage, and general effect. Perhaps we were all very spoiled with last year's program, and its not fair to judge this year's group by last year's amazing standard. Phantom was clearly the cleanest corps last night, however, this corps could do more.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you so much for this review. I really enjoyed how you break things down. It's obvious that you have quite a bit of experience. Hence the importance of detail.

I have only seen one Blue Stars Performance once this season. The ending you saw is different then the one I saw. You stated that it does not match the energy/intensity of the rest of the show. I am curious how? It is a new ending. So I am wondering if you feel it is not being performed as well? Or is it a design issue?

I have heard a few brief descriptions of the new ending, and am disappointed to hear that it lacks intensity and energy. Could you help me wrap my head around the new ending?

thanks

and well done

thank you so much for this review. I really enjoyed how you break things down. It's obvious that you have quite a bit of experience. Hence the importance of detail.

I have only seen one Blue Stars Performance once this season. The ending you saw is different then the one I saw. You stated that it does not match the energy/intensity of the rest of the show. I am curious how? It is a new ending. So I am wondering if you feel it is not being performed as well? Or is it a design issue?

I have heard a few brief descriptions of the new ending, and am disappointed to hear that it lacks intensity and energy. Could you help me wrap my head around the new ending?

thanks

and well done

Thanks.

A little bit of both.

I do not know if it is a new ending or not. This is my first viewing of the corps this year. They are definitely contending for top 6, but I think the corps energy wasn't there last night at the end of the show. I loved the first half of the show, but after the ballad the show didn't seem to have the energy that the rest of the program did. I am sure that the designers probably have tweaks in mind, but to me, the design of the last section didn't match the first 2/3 of the program. This is my first viewing of Blue Stars live in a couple years and I was absolutely amazed at how much they have improved. Excellent show.

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Even though you missed MCL, I hope you could hear the push in "Clowns" from Taco Bell. My ears hurt from just how loud it was, and I was behind the entire hornline!

Excellent review. Fair and balanced with personal opinions stated as such. Honest thoughts and no slams to any corps. Great job.

About Memphis Sound ..I was wondering how the horn line would sound, they are small, I saw them Weds night at a practice. Wondering...is the drum line carrying this corps?

Anyway, thanks for the review!

Edited by Lancerlady

About Memphis Sound ..I was wondering how the horn line would sound, they are small, I saw them Weds night at a practice. Wondering...is the drum line carrying this corps?

Anyway, thanks for the review!

No, the drumline is not carrying the group. Scores have been fairly consistent in all captions so far for Memphis. Brass actually scored higher than percussion the other night in Kingsport.

No, the drumline is not carrying the group. Scores have been fairly consistent in all captions so far for Memphis. Brass actually scored higher than percussion the other night in Kingsport.

If I recall, there were 14 brass and 16 in the drumline. I think the horns did better than the drums the other night mostly because Legends drumline was that good.