Searching for a Mello in 'G' ....

Tapper7

Hey Chris - I have a good one for you.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not even sure how one might hold that while playing.

I once brought a bugle, a Smith flugel, in to Reynald Schilke. [Yes, THAT Schilke.] I was seeking his opinion of one of the more terrible types of instruments that were being offered to the bugle community. I expected some learned words of wisdom about its acoustics.

Picking up the odd-wrapped instrument, his first comment was " How the hell do you hold this @#$%^& thing ???"

They were much lighter than today's horns and very easy to carry and play actually. Remember back then that was all we knew. It was not easy for us old farts to switch over to a 2 valve and use two fingers to play rather than a thumb and an index finger on different hands. Most everyone were drum corps taught and had no band expierience. In fact band kids were not recruited in the 60s and 70s in most corps, the members were friends or church members.

• 2 weeks later...

Nalls, you been on lately? I really want to get that mello. :) PM me ill send you my email, home address, etc ...

TrooperMello-1.jpg

You could always go Retro :tongue:

Where did you come across that? It's just a whole lot of niceness.

As for kanstul mellos they are sexy, but their price isn't I've played with saving up the money to get one a few times but just can't justify $1200 for a horn right now. I would like to play one once though to see what they are like, I've tried the kanstul sops and like them but never played one of their mellos. But don't knock dynasty, I've played 2 dynasty mellos, one felt really tight, but when i picked up a 2nd one it was nice and open, pumped volume and sound and had a really nice range. Looked like it had seen better days, but still a good horn. Had to use it last practice because my normal mello was at the shop getting some work done to it. I normally play a getzen g mello (yes you read that right), and I love it. So nice sound is awesome, no issues with control on it, you can push the volume to 11 with it and the tone won't get ugly. If you can find one some how get it.

I am in the process of buying a Kanstul G mello, I used it in 2008 for the season and switched near May from a Dynasty to a Kanstul.

IMO, hands down the Kanstul is a better horn. It feels more open and the tuning seems to be pretty good. The balance of the horn also seems to work very well. I noticed a difference right away and fell in love with the sound it produced.

I also own a Kanstul Powerbore soprano, never again will my hands touch a Dynasty Soprano.

I've played 2 dynasty mellos, one felt really tight, but when i picked up a 2nd one it was nice and open, pumped volume and sound and had a really nice range.

Were they even the same model? The 1st-generation Dynasty (with Amado waterkeys) was built at Allied in Elkhorn Wisconsin USA until 1993. The 2nd-generation Dynasty (with conventional waterkeys) has been built at Weril in Sao Paolo Brazil. They are two totally different instruments.