Valdosta - Review brief

Valdosta Show (Senior Only) Review

First Up: The Sun Devils - Very nice looking group on the field. Uniforms look great gives them a real drum corps look. The brass line looks very young for the most part. Percussion may be a bit older and the guard is small but energized.

The show concept is good but the brass book is too hard for the young members however once the hose comes out I think this will help the young brass players make it to the end. Low brass mostly. Sops are the strong point for now. Great sop solo, excellent job!

Percussion line is a nice size, lots of dirt when moving. Book is good and will get much cleaner as the season goes. Front ensemble needs to contribute more this will help the brass line. Color guard has great energy but is very small 6 I think. Being smaller, less is more, staging is everything.

Drill is good for this size corps, they keep everything in the pocket and by the end of the summer this will help all sections be stronger. Overall good job for 1st show. Now you have that under your belt start working on your performance, timing, sound and the results will come.

C+

Next Up: Corps Vets: Smaller then expected but great look and sound. The show is a good old southern concept that works very well. Brass line - Some holes I think but overall good job. Soloists (Hunter) great job and the strength of the show. Some over playing at times and a few people sticking out of the ensemble but the brass line will be very good by DCA.

Percussion Line - Its not about the book but about how clean you play! They got it right. The book is not over the heads of the members and they do a great job performing the show. They look and sound very good, one of the best drumlines I think CV has ever had. Mature, nice. Clean the inner beats and feet and you will do fine.

Color Guard - WOW!!!!!! Very good group. They do a really nice job of covering the field and staging for them is excellent. Some cleaning to do but this guard is very good.

Drill - Fair job, nothing that stands out. Staging is good but feet are a mess. That will get better as go along. Good job overall, I think this has the potential to be the best placing year for CV - IMO - 9th Place at DCA

B

??? - Not sure why they other DCA corps from GA was not at this show or Carolina Gold. From a travel standpoint this would have be very affordable and adding two more DCA corps would have made a big difference. Maybe next year this show could be a split show. 5 DCA and 5 DCI cotrps.

This would be a great lineup for 2010:

DCA - Corps Vets, Carolina Gold, Sun Devils, Alliance, Music City Legends

DCI - Cadets, Crown, Boston, Teal Sound and Spirit

Valdosta Show (Senior Only) Review

First Up: The Sun Devils - Very nice looking group on the field. Uniforms look great gives them a real drum corps look. The brass line looks very young for the most part. Percussion may be a bit older and the guard is small but energized.

The show concept is good but the brass book is too hard for the young members however once the hose comes out I think this will help the young brass players make it to the end. Low brass mostly. Sops are the strong point for now. Great sop solo, excellent job!

Percussion line is a nice size, lots of dirt when moving. Book is good and will get much cleaner as the season goes. Front ensemble needs to contribute more this will help the brass line. Color guard has great energy but is very small 6 I think. Being smaller, less is more, staging is everything.

Drill is good for this size corps, they keep everything in the pocket and by the end of the summer this will help all sections be stronger. Overall good job for 1st show. Now you have that under your belt start working on your performance, timing, sound and the results will come.

9th place has been the placement for the corps the last 3 or 4 years.

C+

Next Up: Corps Vets: Smaller then expected but great look and sound. The show is a good old southern concept that works very well. Brass line - Some holes I think but overall good job. Soloists (Hunter) great job and the strength of the show. Some over playing at times and a few people sticking out of the ensemble but the brass line will be very good by DCA.

Percussion Line - Its not about the book but about how clean you play! They got it right. The book is not over the heads of the members and they do a great job performing the show. They look and sound very good, one of the best drumlines I think CV has ever had. Mature, nice. Clean the inner beats and feet and you will do fine.

Color Guard - WOW!!!!!! Very good group. They do a really nice job of covering the field and staging for them is excellent. Some cleaning to do but this guard is very good.

Drill - Fair job, nothing that stands out. Staging is good but feet are a mess. That will get better as go along. Good job overall, I think this has the potential to be the best placing year for CV - IMO - 9th Place at DCA

B

??? - Not sure why they other DCA corps from GA was not at this show or Carolina Gold. From a travel standpoint this would have be very affordable and adding two more DCA corps would have made a big difference. Maybe next year this show could be a split show. 5 DCA and 5 DCI cotrps.

9th place has been the placement for the corps the last 3 or 4 years.

Edited by tpt43

??? - Not sure why they other DCA corps from GA was not at this show or Carolina Gold.

Carolina Gold is a North East corps!

Thank you very much for the review. As far as the other corps... I know that Alliance was at the Columbia show the night before (which is actually closer, it looks like, than Valdosta), so that probably has a lot to do with why they did not go to the show. All of the other groups are VERY far from Valdosta. I don't think people realize how big Georgia is... after all, it is the largest (land area) state east of the Mississippi.

Thanks again for the review! Glad to hear DCA is representing well in the south!

There is only one Music City Legend and it is not Plural.

Solid review, observations and opinion. Thanks for taking the time to post.

ok camel lips.....chill

No worries mate. :tongue: