Ultimate Guide to the Atlanta Regional - Part Two

Georgia DOT Travel Information Services (Free)

By Phone: Call 511 from any phone in Georgia for real-time travel information. Press “1” or “9” to reach a live 511 Operator 24 hours a day.

On the Internet: Visit www.georgia-navigator.com for real-time traffic and road construction information.

Live Atlanta traffic map: http://www.georgia-navigator.com/maps/atlanta

Via PDA / Cell Phone / E-mail: Get customized traffic information with our free subscriber service, MyNaviGAtor.

Learn more at Georgia 511 for Travel Information

Metro Atlanta Weekend Weather Outlook:

Friday, July 24th SUNNY Hi 89 Lo 66 Precip 0%

Saturday, July 25th PARTLY CLOUDY Hi 91 Lo 69 Precip 20%

Sunday, July 26th ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS Hi 85 Lo 60 Precip 30%

*Grass pollen is currently in the high range.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say it isn't so!!! Okay, so I thought we wouldn't have to deal with any traffic issues like last year, but apparently they have decided to close a large portion of the Connector (I-85/I-75 north) for more construction, starting this weekend. If you are coming from the south, you may want to exit I-285 and go west and go to I-20. Follow the directions on the first post of this topic from the west and follow I-20 west into the city. I gurantee you that even though the construction area is north of the exit you will take for the Dome, traffic will be backed up for miles.

More Traffic Issues

Edited by LanceGrail

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that Atlanta traffic and weather tweets now too!

Traffic Twitter:

http://twitter.com/AtlantaNow

http://twitter.com/atlantatraffic

http://twitter.com/Atlanta_Traffic

Weather Twitter:

http://twitter.com/Atlanta_Alerts

--------------------------------------

Georgia DOT Travel Information Services (Free)

By Phone: Call 511 from any phone in Georgia for real-time travel information. Press “1” or “9” to reach a live 511 Operator 24 hours a day.

On the Internet: Visit www.georgia-navigator.com for real-time traffic and road construction information.

Live Atlanta traffic map: http://www.georgia-navigator.com/maps/atlanta

Via PDA / Cell Phone / E-mail: Get customized traffic information with our free subscriber service, MyNaviGAtor.

Learn more at Georgia 511 for Travel Information

Metro Atlanta Weekend Weather Outlook:

Friday, July 24th SUNNY Hi 89 Lo 66 Precip 0%

Saturday, July 25th PARTLY CLOUDY Hi 91 Lo 69 Precip 20%

Sunday, July 26th ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS Hi 85 Lo 60 Precip 30%

*Grass pollen is currently in the high range.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by LanceGrail

You didn't recommend the Varsity for eating? For shame.

Yay frozen oranges.

There is also an event going on at Centennial Olympic Park starting at noon. Hopefully people will be leaving by the time the show rolls around.

Also going on around Atlanta this weekend:

FRIDAY:

See if those beer signs are worth anything at the Brewery Collectibles Show.

3 p.m. July 24-25. $2 for adults; ages 12 and under free. Atlanta Motor Speedway, 1500 Highway 19-41, Hampton. 770-946-4211, www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.

“42nd Street” comes to Peachtree Street as the nostalgic, dance-centric hit Broadway musical returns.

July 24-Aug. 2. $20-$67.50. Fox Theatre, 660 Peachtree St. N.E., Atlanta. 404-881-2100, www.foxtheatre.org.

R&B combo Maze featuring Frankie Beverly is a perennial favorite in Atlanta. Beverly has been the master of seductive crooning for as long as many young neo-soulsters have been alive. If you haven’t heard stone soul classics such as “Joy & Pain” and “Lady of Magic,” you’re missing some great music.

7:30 p.m. July 24. $38-$78. Chastain Park Amphitheater, 4469 Stella Drive N.W. 404-233-2227, www.livenation.com.

Piano man and in-demand sideman Bruce Hornsby headlines his own show at the Atlanta Botanical Garden.

8 p.m. July 24. $50. Atlanta Botanical Garden, 1345 Piedmont Ave. N.E., Atlanta. 404-876-5859, www.atlantabotanicalgarden.org.

See the spectrum of Atlanta’s art scene at the monthly Castleberry Hill Fourth Friday Art Stroll.

7 p.m. July 24. Free. Gallery Stokes, 261 Walker St., Atlanta. 678-770-7812, www.gallerystokes.com.

Jennifer Coolidge, best known for her roles as Stifler’s mom in ”American Pie” and a ditzy dog owner in “Best in Show,” brings her one-woman show to the Laughing Skull Lounge.

8 and 10 p.m. July 23-25; 7 and 9 p.m. July 26. $28-$33. 878 Peachtree St. N.E., Atlanta. 877- 523-3288, www.vortexcomedy.com.

The recent remake of “Star Trek” plays at the 2009 Coca-Cola Summer Film Festival at the Fox Theatre.

7:30 p.m. July 24. Pre-screening wine tasting begins at 5:30 p.m. $8 for the movie; $12 for the wine tasting. 660 Peachtree St. N.E., Atlanta. 404-881-2100, www.foxtheatre.org.

SATURDAY

Feel the beat at the Drum Corps International Southeastern Championship.

4 p.m. July 25. $30-$55. Georgia Dome, One Georgia Dome Dr. N.W., Atlanta. 404-223-9200, www.gadome.com.

Blues-rock will never get stale as long as Allman Brothers/Gov’t Mule guitarist Warren Haynes is around to give it a fresh jolt of energy. Gov’t Mule headlines at the Masquerade Music park, with support from JJ Grey and Mofro and Outformation.

5 p.m. July 25. $30. Masquerade Music Park, 695 North Ave., Atlanta. 404-577-8178, www.masq.com.

The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra pulls out the big guns with “Beethoven Blockbusters.” The program includes the composer’s Symphony No. 7 and the Piano Concerto No. 3 with young Finnish pianist Juho Pohjonen.

8 p.m. July 25. $21-$59. Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park, 2200 Encore Parkway, Alpharetta. 404-733-5010, www.vzwamp.com.

The pioneering folk outfit the Kingston Trio plays a benefit concert for the We Will Not Forget Foundation.

8 p.m. July 25. $30, $40 and $100. Roswell Cultural Arts Center, 950 Forrest St., Roswell. 770-594-6232, www.roswellgov.com.

Brooding crooner and part-time actor Chris Isaak has become a summertime favorite at Chastain Park Amphitheater.

8 p.m. July 25. $25-$75. Chastain Park Amphitheater, 4469 Stella Dr. NW, Atlanta. 404-733-5012. www.classicchastain.com.

Known as the People’s Poet, Mexican singer, songwriter and actor Joan Sebastian has composed hundreds of pop songs, been a staple on the Top 40 charts in Mexico, won the Grammy for best Mexican/Mexican American album in 2002 and 2003 and starred in the telenovela “Tu Y Yo.”

7 p.m. July 25. $40-$140. Arena at Gwinnett Center, 6400 Sugarloaf Pkwy., Duluth. 770-813-7500, www.gwinnettcenter.com.

SUNDAY

While much of her music leans toward alt-country, Neko Case never stays pinned down to one genre for very long. Whatever she does, it sounds amazing because of her stunning voice, a sweet and powerful thing with just the right mixture of honey and vinegar.

8 p.m. July 26. $23-$33. Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, 2800 Cobb Galleria Pkwy., Atlanta. 770-916-2800, www.cobbenergycentre.com.

Texas quartet Old 97s has a rootsy exuberance and melodic sensibility that make for a killer love show.

8 p.m. July 26. Variety Playhouse, 1099 Euclid Ave., Atlanta. 404-524-7354, www.variety-playhouse.com.

Blue Stars housing:

East Coweta HS

400 McCollum Sharpsburg Road

Sharpsburg, GA 30277

You didn't recommend the Varsity for eating? For shame.

I was trying to think of places within walking distance of the Dome, but I guess I should have included this one. But, when you include the Varsity, you may need to include directions to Grady Hospital for the heart attack you'll experience following all the grease you'll ingest :sad:

With as close to Atlanta as I live, and with the many times I have bee there, I have never been to the Varsity. Missing much?

IMO, no...very greasy food. But, I have friends that LOVE their onion rings and hot dogs. The only thing I like is the Orange freeze thing.