Dallas Show, Part 1

As usual I took a nice large group of friends & co-workers to the first night of the Dallas Drum Corps show. As usual, all had a great time, despite the heat, which was pretty intense.

Unfortunately, I missed Memphis Sound & Cascades. Sorry guys!

Pioneer came up next after we got to our seats (which were great! Row 26, between the 45 & 50!). Pioneer has a more solid program this year, though they will likely spend the rest of the season trying to stay in front of Cascades & out of last. The guard is noticeably stronger than the past few years, and have some potential as they continue to clean. The horn line has a nice strong sound when standing still, but body control issues cause lots of sound issues when on the move. When watching a smaller corps like this who struggles against the majority of the world class corps, I tend to watch the drum line more (not sure why that is). Pioneer's battery did a nice job selling their show, and you can tell they enjoyed performing, which is great!

Troopers raised the bar considerably, coming on next. Really impressive line up tonight with 9 corps that are either in finals or a good threat or at least a chance to make it. This is my 3rd viewing of Troop in the past week. I noticed 2 key things tonight - 1, the hornline started the show more raggedly, but recovered nicely. 2 - the guard has made incredible improvement in just a week's time. This is such a well crafted show. I can't wait to see it from up high in SA on Saturday! The music book sells very well. The visual design is creative, fast paced, and features some terrific integration of the guard into the corps. I think the biggest threats for troopers are in their hornline being able to continue to improve with both marching and playing as fast as the corps around them are able to do. I didn't see much progression since last Saturday in that area. Troop will also need to pump up the volume if they want to make Finals, but they certainly have the potential to still make that elite top 12 in Indy if they keep working!

Academy has come a long ways since Las Vegas a week and a half ago! I actually prefer their "mountains" themed music book to Cavaliers, I think. The hornline has improved dramatically in just 11 days which is a great sign. Lots of strength and power tonight where appropriate. Visually, the corps has some very nice moments that I'm looking forward to seeing from the upper deck tomorrow night. The guard program is a nice step up for Academy this year too, though I think a few of the climbing aspects are pretty cheesy or simplistic (like trying to climb a small ladder, falling, off, climbing it, etc). I don't know that they have the depth of content in this show to threaten to make finals, but you know, it's possible - they are not that far away.

Colts continue to impress me a ton with their progress & the strength of their program. The show is powerful, with some great brass charts & high points. The guard adds a tremendous effect to the show with some great ensemble flag statements in the opener and closer of the show (and a few other places). Just a terrific guard when they are spinning flags. I think they lack a bit of variety in their equipment book, though, which could hurt them later. Also, I think the Colts run a real risk of maxing out this show. It's a bit more simplistic, musically, and visually, than say Troopers and Scouts are, for example. We'll see if their execution, precision & power can keep them in front & hold on to 12th. I really like this show, though!

Scouts started us off after the intermission. Unfortunately, couldn't make it all the way to my seats, so had to watch from the 3rd row, on the 20. What I noticed from this unique vantage point is that Scouts are moving a TON in this show - very fast marching, even in parts of the ballad. They as a result, have a ton of dirt still to clean - which can be either good or bad news. The guard is more solid than I've expected from Scouts, and the show actually sells pretty well. As a whole, this corps is better than last year, but so is everyone around them. On the second veiwing, I liked the music book more. Can't wait to see this show Saturday from up high, either.

Blue Knights' Shiver program continues to grow rapidly. The hornline sound is getting better by the day it seems, having seen them last Saturday, Tuesday, and now Thursday in the same week. A nice rich dark sound from the corps, and lots of power. The white plumes really work well for BK, and give them a bit more visual pop on the field. They use them very effectively in a few moments in the show, and also make their "rolling snowball" moment possible. I'd like to see them tighten up that "snowball" further - more density would increase the effect. Blue Knights have an outstanding color guard this summer. Very impressive performance last night, with strong command of each piece of equipment. They unveiled new "tails" on the big white closer flags, which will look very nice when the work is cleaned further. It will be very interesting to see how close BK really is to Boston tomorrow.

Vanguard announced the arrival of the 4 certain top 8 level corps with authority tonight. The show seems to be leaving the audience in 2 camps, which was evident in my group last night. One camp is not too wowed, wishing there was "more" to their show. The other camp - including myself & my partner - absolutely love this show. To me, it is classic, understated, elegant, and flat out gorgeous. The long build up of the show is SO worth it when the final push comes. I will say I was maybe slightly less wowed tonight than I was on first viewing in Denver. I hope that is not a sign that the show won't hold up well to repeated viewings. I don't know that there is enough demand in this show to give them a top 3 finish in Indy, but they will have a large chunk of the crowd solidly in their pocket. Easily their best show since 2006 -and much better than 2006 in the quality of their music performance.

Blue Devils seem to be having a similar effect on audiences as does Vanguard this year. Some love what they are doing. Others feel like the show is way too cluttered, despite being very clean, and just are lefting wanting. Count me in that second camp. I love the opening & closing 1/3s of the show musically. Visually, it just feels like I'm watching a Winter Guard show on a football field. Way too much down time time in the show visually (from a marching & movement perspective) for my taste. The overwhelming yellow in the guard can also start to wear on you. Those are all design points or quibbles. From a PERfORMANCE perspective, this is an incredible corps. Far ahead of Cavaliers in visual execution - including marching by the horn line, surprisingly. The horn line sounds stellar when playing as well. This will be one of those years like 2007 I think where BD will execute the snot out of the show & it will depend on if another corps or 2 catches fire to surpass them in Indy. I don't see Cavaliers having the depth of music to catch them. Will be veryinterested to see how Crown & Cadets compare with BD side by side tomorrow, for sure!

Cavaliers are always popular in Texas, and this show as no exception. I have to give the staff some kudos here for realy cranking up the volume for Cavaliers. Great to hear them holding their own with the rest of the top 8 with volume (still with great quality). Unfortunately, I just don't think there is enough music in this music book for them to win a title. The do still have considerable room to grow, however. Lots of visual dirt still to clean in the drill. Clearly, (or hopefully?) they don't have their real ending in yet either, which hopefully will sell the show. Most of the group I take to this local show thought Cavaliers are missing the "wow" or "it" factor they've had in other shows like Machine or Sammurai that they have seen. I think the jury is still out - but Cavaliers have an uphill climb if they want to stay in top 3. A funny side note - one of my friends thought the guard outfits were basically Laura Croft's Tomb Raider outfit made for guys.

Bluecoats had the honor of going on last tonight here in their "second home" state. They held up their end of the bargain quite nicely. Bluecoats' show is coming along nicely. I really didn't like this show on first viewing, and now on a 3rd viewing, there are still parts I don't care for (the middle section is just not very entertaining), but the opening & closing pieces of the show, plus the ballad, are really coming along. The closing chart is just terrific. Had that opening tuba phrase from the closer in my head most of the night. Bluecoats again have a stellar horn line and drum line. I think they have a real shot at top 3 in percussion again. Bluecoats unveiled a new ending last night, which felt extremely anti-climatic. After a terrific throw down with the last number, they now end singing "Imagine" You couldn't hear the first half due to the crowd cheer from the throw-down, and the rest just seemed to put a damper on the enthusiasm the end of their show otherwise generates. We'll see if they keep it!

That's it for now. Off to the 2nd half of the Dallas show tonight!

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan

Great stuff as always H. This block of shows almost makes me want to visit Texas during the summer...almost. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Seriously? Bluecoats sing "Imagine"??? Man, that'd kill the mood for me after the swing section....

I think it IS Imagine. I don't personally know the tune, but a couple of friends that that's what it was. Yes, it's a real disconnect - without a transition - with what they just finished playing in their closer.

Harvey