Thank you from MYSTIKAL

Sometimes it is better to not reply, and not air your dirty laundry in these forums.

Now that I have read this there is no way I would ever send my kids to this program.

Actually "justanothermell", in my day of marching junior corps (8 years in the 70's/80's) ALL corps had stories similar to this. The best run corps had emergency funds to cover surprises that no one can expect and that always seem to happen.

In fact I remember having buses (not 1, but 2) breakdown and members having to be ferried between different locations a couple of hundred miles apart. Also remember crowding 128 people on 2 buses and a couple of support vehicles because the 3rd bus had lost AC in the middle of the desert somewhere in the Southwest.

Corps is a reflection of life . . it doesn't go smooth and you just need to deal with the stuff as it happens. It sounds like this group did and taught a great lesson to the members on how to overcome the stuff when it happens.

I have 3 kids that will be or are eligible to march junior corps. I would not have a problem with them being involved in this organization especially after seeing that they can handle the challenges.

Joe

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact I remember having buses (not 1, but 2) breakdown and members having to be ferried between different locations a couple of hundred miles apart. Also remember crowding 128 people on 2 buses and a couple of support vehicles because the 3rd bus had lost AC in the middle of the desert somewhere in the Southwest.

Hey, at least your buses had AC.... The corps that I toured with back in the 80's used school buses. And these were old school buses that the corps had purchased; some were over 20 years old. And no, they did not have AC. We went the entire tour without air conditioning. Imagine how those school buses must have smelled after Finals! :satisfied: The stench was unbearable.

That was one of many trials and tribulations we had to endure. If you have been involved with DBC for any period of time, you likely have similar experiences or stories.

The point is this: Mystikal deserve a lot of credit for reacting to a bad situation, and responding to it appropriately.

They made it home quite ok. The EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (totally different form the Corps Director) was unable to manage a few things very well, however we were able to pull funds from a reserve that myself and my staff had set aside for financial emergencies as well as a few donations. Thank you for your concern and I am glad that there were folks in tune with our well-being.

Jake, you have such a great memory. :)We took the train to California however the train cancelled our return trip on us at the last minute which is what caused a bit of panic. We were able to fly them home, which is a much better way to travel. I wish drum corps could fly everywhere! :)

Chris Magonigal

Corps Director

Mystikal DBC

Then I stand corrected Chris, it was Rob Lowery. Good to hear they are back home, and PROPS to you and your staff in making it happen for the kids, and yes, flying is way better, wish we did that in my days, but shoot, there were no planes back then, hehehehe...