Dr. Beat/ Metronome

That wouldn't work. It would be the same as every person on the field playing to the drum major's hands - sound from the back of the field would be late...Unless every member was also outfitted with a front sideline proximity sensor, and the click from the met could be advanced or delayed individually depending on position... :bleah:

:tongue: A little over the top, but very cool :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and it can backfire. and it can like nothing else
I really don't see any downside at all to using the metronome. One thing you will NEVER hear a musician say is, "I just can't seem to get on top of the tempo tonight. Must be all that time practicing with the metronome beginning to backfire on my ###". Edited by VOReason

I really don't see any downside at all to using the metronome. One thing you will NEVER hear a musician say is, "I just can't seem to get on top of the tempo tonight. Must be all that time practicing with the metronome beginning to backfire on my ###".

it can backfire if the staff doesnt have a clue about how to use it....the performers get hooked and dont know how to handle performing without it

it can backfire if the staff doesnt have a clue about how to use it....the performers get hooked and dont know how to handle performing without it
Actually then, it's the staff that's backfiring!!

Turn it on, get a tempo, turn it off. Done.

Well, without it, the drumline typically rushes. Especially if standing still. If they have a cool part, they like to play it as fast as possible to make it sound cooler. Without consideration to the corps marching out to retreat with whatever tempo they're playing while standing still. Or the long several hour parade ahead of them where 180bpm means playing the same tune 50 times instead of 30. And loosing half of the corps before the end. Starting with the drumline.

In all age corps, I don't really see a need to play anything faster than 160bpm. And I prefer to march at about 110bpm. It's not like most of our popular music runs at 208bpm these days. And if you're adhereing to the military standard of a 30" stride, you aint going to be marching troops out to pasture at 180bpm. At least not without some commander showing you his pasture shortly there after. Gotta love mandatory fun.

And other factors. A lot of conductors don't adjust their arm speed whem making a larger motion to prep 1 after 4, thus introducing a slight delay between beat 4 and 1. Dr. Beat helps there, but doesn't really make someone listen to it. Leaving some groups to just take the tempo they're used to without any conformity to the conductor / drum major. Or to average out the tempo so at least 1 lines up almost right. And other issues like the colorguard rehearsing to the midi of the music at tempo, and the hornline never taking it even close to that tempo. Dr. Beat helps, but it's not a cure.

As far as metronome usage. Not something I use regularly during practice. If I'm trying to polish something to perfection, maybe. If I'm doing a daily exercise to guage my progress, yes, just to have a number to compare / chart over time. But in general not much use IMO. If you're trying to memorize, it doesn't teach you the notes and fingerings, it gets in the way, more than it helps when practicing at home. At least from a brass players perspective. And from a volunteer / amatuer activity perspective it can be quite annoying to have good relative / perfect pitch and time in a group that lacks either. It's legit, not jazz. Jazz, not swing. Swing, not waltz / polka. Is anyone paying any attention to the written rhythms? As opposed to going with the flow, that's good enough, better than last time at least.

the slower the piece...the more likely a drumline is to rush.

the faster..the more likely they are to speed the hell out of the thing :bigsmile: