Open Class Judges

I have a made a point of seeing BDB, SCVC, Tealsound, Citation, Cap Regiment, Revo and I have to say I am very disappointed in the Open Class Judges. I have taught D1 to D2 and D3. I feel that once again the open classes judges are missing the boat. BDB,Tealsound and SCVC have shows that are far more superior than the rest of open class. Nothing againt the other teams, they all are working hard. Yet, the judges dont know how to judge or are so lost that they don't know what to judge. I hope that DCI would stop looking down on the little guys and start giving them a far read.

:cool:

Dude. you say you have taught DIV 1-3????? :tongue: and you still call a drum corps a "team" tsk tsk This thread will top 15 pages just for that comment and that comment alone will be the topic.

Can you give examples of your findings or theory?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at the recaps for this past show...

In captions judged from the box which can be influenced by a corps' size (I am considering this both GE captions, Visual Ensemble, and Music Ensemble) Teal Sound got 2nd in all captions.

In all other captions, (visual performance, guard, brass, and percussion) Teal Sound got 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th, respectively. Now, I haven't seen Teal's show in a while so I honestly can't speak to how legitimate these scores are, but the on field captions/individual performance captions are telling a different story than the other captions. Bottom line, Teal Sound seems to be having issues that are hard to notice from the stands. This is all IMO of course as again I haven't seen Teal in a while (and only once, at that).

I have a made a point of seeing BDB, SCVC, Tealsound, Citation, Cap Regiment, Revo and I have to say I am very disappointed in the Open Class Judges. I have taught D1 to D2 and D3. I feel that once again the open classes judges are missing the boat. BDB,Tealsound and SCVC have shows that are far more superior than the rest of open class. Nothing againt the other teams, they all are working hard. Yet, the judges dont know how to judge or are so lost that they don't know what to judge. I hope that DCI would stop looking down on the little guys and start giving them a far read.

:tongue:

This statement makes absolutely no sense. You say that the bigger corps have shows that are far superior to the smaller corps, but then say that the smaller corps aren't getting a fair read. What exactly are you trying to say here?

I NOW WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE!.............

Teal Sound is simply MISUNDERSTOOD. Those darn judges.

:drool:

I thought they were pretty hip last night in Greendale. Show is fun to watch and fun for the kids to perform, unlike some of their competition. Crowd really loves them too...they got lots of ahs and oohs last night, but no full out booing at the score that I heard. If that was a regular drum corps crowd, that score would have been booed big time. :thumbup:

I NOW WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE!.............

Teal Sound is simply MISUNDERSTOOD. Those darn judges.

:thumbup:

I make no secret that I am the ultimate Teal Sound apologist- But what does Treadstone have against the corps? Were you fired by Teal? Were you previously on staff and didn't get retained? Why do you dislike them so much? In almost every post you make there is some sort of dig against Teal Sound. Just wondering?

D

I make no secret that I am the ultimate Teal Sound apologist- But what does Treadstone have against the corps? Were you fired by Teal? Were you previously on staff and didn't get retained? Why do you dislike them so much? In almost every post you make there is some sort of dig against Teal Sound. Just wondering?

D

I personally do not know how anyone could not love them! I am not sure if I like a rock band in the pit for drum corps, but it does not really matter. It is cool, the corps is hyping and they are a crowd favorite! I am sure they would like to win, but being so entertaining and having fun doing it has a place too, doesn't it? I almost feel sorry for some of their competitors, who are working so hard and scoring so well, but don't have the affect of entertainment on the field.

Perhaps the judges are missing the best part of the "team's" performance because the "team" is usually in the locker room during halftime.

:drool:

Great Post; I agree.

I personally do not know how anyone could not love them! I am not sure if I like a rock band in the pit for drum corps, but it does not really matter. It is cool, the corps is hyping and they are a crowd favorite! I am sure they would like to win, but being so entertaining and having fun doing it has a place too, doesn't it? I almost feel sorry for some of their competitors, who are working so hard and scoring so well, but don't have the affect of entertainment on the field.

Spoken like a true VK alumni. :thumbup::drool::mad:

Take a look at caps from last night:

http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?e...2e-19bcc80ef795

At this point, Teal knows what they need to do. Percussion is clearly the difficult area - they finished 6th overall. That is why they finished 4th in music.

In visual, it is individual performance and color guard where the improvements need to be made. Ensemble performance is excellent. Maybe they should spend more time on block drills, to clean up issues with individual performance.

And Teal continues to score well in GE. If they can continue to gain in that area, then they have a shot at reeling in the rest of the OC contenders.

If a show has really great GE, it is always going to get solid crowd reaction. Most members of the crowd - if they are not DBC experts - are not going to catch errors in percussion or individual visual. They aren't going to spot problems in footwork, carriage, phasing, etc. Most folks in the stands really aren't there to judge - they are to be entertained, which is their perogative.

p.s., I am a Revo apologist. However, I do not have a grudge any Teal, or any other OC corps. I do want your corps to do well, and I do agree with you, that OC judging can always be improved. I have my own concerns about the Revo scoresheets, and some of the inconsistencies I see there. But that does not mean that there is a bias against Teal.

Teal will be fine. They should make the top half of Finals, barring any significant problems between now and next Friday.

Edited by oldschooldbc