Marketing Perspective

I don't know, it doesn't seem to hurt the marketability and the revenue generating potential of WWE "professional wrestling".

Just saying. As long as we are only dealing in hypotheticals. :thumbup:

OK, let's continue to deal in hypotheticals.

How many 18-19 year-old kids, would give up their entire summers, and spend 12 hours a day on the practice field, in burning heat, and sweltering humidity, with a marching tech screaming down your throat - if the contest was rigged?

How many parents would fork over 2-3 grand, plus spend a summer volunteering on tour - if the contest was rigged?

How many sponsors would continue to be associated with this organization - if the contest was rigged?

The answer the the preceeding 3 questions is not zero. But if the contests were rigged, you would see a dramatic decrease in the number of youth, parents, and sponsors, who would be willing to support this activity. I guarantee it.

So for God's sake, let's do everything within our power, to ensure that the contests are fair. If that means that the same corps X wins finals for the next 20 years, so be it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many 18-19 year-old kids, would give up their entire summers, and spend 12 hours a day on the practice field, in burning heat, and sweltering humidity, with a marching tech screaming down your throat - if the contest was rigged?

How many parents would fork over 2-3 grand, plus spend a summer volunteering on tour - if the contest was rigged?

How many sponsors would continue to be associated with this organization - if the contest was rigged?

The answer the the preceeding 3 questions is not zero. But if the contests were rigged, you would see a dramatic decrease in the number of youth, parents, and sponsors, who would be willing to support this activity. I guarantee it.

So for God's sake, let's do everything within our power, to ensure that the contests are fair. If that means that the same corps X wins finals for the next 20 years, so be it.

Very well said.

Holy crap, you people need to stop getting so up in arms about all of this... the TC was proposing this hypothetically, just to talk about in good fun. It seems like some of you are just reacting so violently to someone (very indirectly) suggesting that, get this, the judges are, in fact, human beings and therefore neve quite objective. Heck, he wasn't even saying that much, really...

But I'll bite and contribute. I think, market wise, HNC in first and CC in second would be the best combination. Crown winning would be a little too far-fetched to swallow just yet, and so even the people that want it would feel a little weird about it. Cadets, however, were everyone's pre-season choice, and the whole no-narration thing this year would be successful in the New Coke/Classic Coke type of way. That being said, Crown in second would be plausible, I think.

I agree with the Troopers thing, though.

Holy crap, you people need to stop getting so up in arms about all of this... the TC was proposing this hypothetically, just to talk about in good fun. It seems like some of you are just reacting so violently to someone (very indirectly) suggesting that, get this, the judges are, in fact, human beings and therefore neve quite objective. Heck, he wasn't even saying that much, really...

But I'll bite and contribute. I think, market wise, HNC in first and CC in second would be the best combination. Crown winning would be a little too far-fetched to swallow just yet, and so even the people that want it would feel a little weird about it. Cadets, however, were everyone's pre-season choice, and the whole no-narration thing this year would be successful in the New Coke/Classic Coke type of way. That being said, Crown in second would be plausible, I think.

I agree with the Troopers thing, though.

Well see thats what's funny, I know I'm not upset and I don't think anyone responding really is....Ok I'll just speak for myself. It's not a matter of being upset it's a matter of addressing the very premise of the question itself, which in and of itself is flawed even as a hypothetical. No offense meant.

Edited by bmroth1

I think the first thing for popularity is to generate a radio or television audience. We need live drum corps on the radio most nights during the summer. Also as a weekly television program, DCI could sponsor something along the lines of "This Week in Drum Corps" or "Drum Corps Digest" -- letting fans know whats been going on for that week during the summer.

ESPN2 has Sumo Wrestling on at night... we can't get a TV show.... all the hundreds of cable channels with worthless advertising and we can't get a show on TV? What's up w/ that?

ESPN2 has Sumo Wrestling on at night... we can't get a TV show.... all the hundreds of cable channels with worthless advertising and we can't get a show on TV? What's up w/ that?

Bad marketing.

And some of y'all need to stop assuming that the 12 best corps make it to the night show every year. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's just not the case.

I think the first thing for popularity is to generate a radio or television audience. We need live drum corps on the radio most nights during the summer. Also as a weekly television program, DCI could sponsor something along the lines of "This Week in Drum Corps" or "Drum Corps Digest" -- letting fans know whats been going on for that week during the summer.

Again, this was discussed in detail in the "Open Class corps should have a shot at SemiFinals" thread.

Both DCI and ESPN lost money, hand over fist, from their arrangement. That is why it was terminated, to all of our chagrin. And no other broadcaster is willing to take on this activity. Supposedly, the marketing folks in Indianapolis have tried, and no one is interested.

So either DCI absorbs the losses from these broadcasts indefinitely, or it goes down the route of alternate media - web broadcasts, primarily.

Paying a broadcaster to broadcasts these events would bleed DCI dry. That is why we need to pay for Fan Network, and the Fathom broadcasts of QF. So this tool for marketing and publicity is out.

=====================================================

Marketing is more than advertising and promotion, folks. There also a) product placement, i.e., developing the right product for the market and environment; b) pricing, i.e., setting a price for the product that the customer will pay; and c) product location, i.e., putting the product in a location where you customer will buy it. (Marketing honks will sometimes describe this as the 4 P's. I nearly became one back in MBA school. But I remember what they taught me.)

Although DCI is sadly lacking in promotion, I would also argue that it is lacking in placement, pricing, and location.

If our shows are not accessible to the general public, and are too complex to understand, do we have incorrect product placement? Do we need to go back to some of the simpler show designs of the 60's and 70's?

If the price of tickets is simply too high for some to attend, do we have the wrong pricing strategy? If we are marketing to young people, who have less disposable income, should our price points be set lower?

If finals will be held in the same location indefinitely, do we have the wrong location strategy? Or should we expand the base, by moving the event to a different location each year?

Edited by oldschooldbc

Can you not detect sarcasm in a post? :thumbup::worthy: :worthy: He was screwing around. :thumbup:Jeez...

Again, this was discussed in detail in the "Open Class corps should have a shot at SemiFinals" thread.

Both DCI and ESPN lost money, hand over fist, from their arrangement. That is why it was terminated, to all of our chagrin. And no other broadcaster is willing to take on this activity. Supposedly, the marketing folks in Indianapolis have tried, and no one is interested.

So either DCI absorbs the losses from these broadcasts indefinitely, or it goes down the route of alternate media - web broadcasts, primarily.

Paying a broadcaster to broadcasts these events would bleed DCI dry. That is why we need to pay for Fan Network, and the Fathom broadcasts of QF. So this tool for marketing and publicity is out.

A live radio show costs 1 microphone and 2 guys sitting there to chat between corps. It costs nothing to produce live radio, as far as paying for broadcasting-- web hosting is almost free for internet radio-- you make the program and try to get it syndicated.-- the public radio station pays for the program not the other way around.

People make money at radio, it just needs to be done correctly.

Just because ESPN and DCI lost money making a television show doesn't mean we should give up on the idea--as far as I know, no television show ever aired (am I mistaken?). There may be more than 1 way to skin a cat on this one-- I need to know more details about why the project failed before I give up on the idea. If Thomas Edison would have had your attitude, we'd still be reading by candle light. What if NFL films had given up on televising pro football before "the greatest game ever played" aired in '56? I'm sure they took some losses and some expense to make it happen- but they ended up with a huge cash cow.

Edited by luvah

Not completely. You're assuming that marketing DCI is completely aimed at the general, uninvolved public. While it does to some extent, it also addresses discouraged fans, alumni, and others who opt out of live events.

True, but as you said only "To some extent".

The people you describe know exactly what drum corps is and have consciously made the decision to not participate.

Thats like Sprite marketing to people who have already tried Sprite and said they hate it. You dont set up the booth and give it to people who have already tasted it and hate the taste. Give it to the people who have never tried it who MIGHT like it.

Focus the resources and energy to where it will do more

good.