Greendale review

This is just the review of a fan, so take it for what it's worth.

First off Greendale HS seems it was made to host small corps, awesome seating, the consessions wern't insanly over priced (and lets face it, they usually are), and the weather held out to make it a beautiful night to watch drum corps.

As usual for an open class show there was a fairly small but extreamly supportive crowd. I urge all of you that wait for the World class shows to get off of your collective butts and go to an open class show. These were all quality groups, and more entertaining then the norm of what world class is these days. So that being said off we go.

First to play were Blue Saints. and welcome back to the world of drum corps. A very young group as is the norm. No contras (tubas whatever), but a decent hornline never the less. They played like a young group would, a little flat, but the kids loved it and the show was fun. Again welcome back, and always more then glad to go see a show.

Next came one of the bigger suprises of the night in Memphis Sound. Small compact corps, but it goes to show that good things come in small packages. Absolutly loved the show, loved the music, big sound form such a small corps. Drumline....amazing. the bass line is one of the best in open class, they split everything, and whoever tunes them needs to win a medal. Geat line, wonderfull balance, and a decent guard. All around I thought they should be beating corps much bigger then them.

VK. What can I say about VK, always fun, always entertaining, and more then a little cheesy, but in a good way. Drumline seemed a little on the tame side from years past. Not bad, and the drum breaks were many, and awesome, just a little more laid back. It's a good thing, they played very well together. Loved the Tuba soloist. Again a very gimmicky show, but as they always do VK left everyone wanting more. Oh....and there's a shark. for that reason alone you should go see them.

Colt Cadets. Yet another small corps taking huge leaps and bounds in the right direction. Cute show, Horns were a bit out of tune, but the weather was changing (getting colder as it always does in WI). I think that had alot to do with it, not a big distraction, just came through in solos. The guard performed very well, and the drumline had some great writing. Pee Wee's theme song, and Hall of the mountan king were amazing. They did have some phazing issues as the drill was a bit spreadbetween the hornline, and drums. Buy a quick recovery left everyone enjoying the show. Kudos to a huge jump.

SCVC. I'll say this and probably get flammed for it, but oh well. SCV needs to take a class from their little brothers and sisters. Their presance was palpable. You could tell as soon as they walked out of the gate exactly who was on the field. The show was great. Very controlled sound, very interesting show. See you can play an entertaining show, and get credit for it. Drums, guard, and horns all out did themselves. The corps is a tad on the small side for what I expected, but it wasn't a dissapointment to say the least.

Oregon Crusaders. I've been a fan of this corps since I saw them in 03 and they rocked my socks off. There show was...different. I just wasn't a huge fan of the music. however to give credit where it's due, the corps played very well. They've always seemed to have very good musicians, and this year is no different.

Teal sound. By far my favorite group of the night. I will admitt when I saw that they had a rock band with them, I was a bit leary. I though for sure it was going to distract from the show. I'm not a fan of narration, or the rest of it, but I figured I'd give it a chance. Playing a show called "The velvet ropes" they had a bunch of velvet ropes, like a lot of them that formed an arc for a good portion of the field. Befre the corps started the band played while the corps was setting up. Different, but pretty cool. After the corps started playing you forgot that the band shouldn't be there. They fit in with the corps seamlessly. And sheer power from the rather large hornline. I know Teal has always been accused of playing loud noise. In my opinion this year they are playing loud music. Rock shows have been tried before, and they've failed miserably. this was different. "I feel love" probably peeled the paint off of houses in Milwaukee. Just afun overall show, and I thought they should have scored a bit higher.

Revolution. I've always been a fan of revo's drumline, and this year they don't dissapoint. Their show ElementALL did an ok job of bringing the theme across, the hornline was good, the guard was better and their drumline was awesome. just wasn't a fan of the material. Left me a bit flat. But they played and marched the heck out of it.

Racine Scouts. By far the biggest suprise of the night. I'll be honest and say I marched with Racine in the 90's. And we were bad lol. I wouldn't trade my experiance there for the world, but we wern't exactly competitive. So I am a bit biased. However I wasn't expecting much as revo had just played. I was wrong. This group is making leaps and bounds in the right direction. Gone are the cheesy gimmicks that never came across, gone is the easy music, and easier drill. This is a group that deserves to be right in the race for semi's. the show "New York" is well written, and directed. The corps only fielded 12-13 horns, but sounded like 30. There is real talent in their soloists, and for the first time since 00 they've fielded a real battery, and a faily good one. Sporting brand new Yamaha drums (put shell protectors on the bottom of the tenors!!!!!! you'll thank me later) the battery played very well together for such a young line. there were no real phazing issues, and the show was done without the typical "stop a song start a song" feel that they've had in the past. Great drill, and faily difficult at that. The guard was pretty much dead on, and the pit definatly stood out as a strong spot for the group. The only issues were tone quality in the hornline, might have been the weather, but I think it might have just a bit of nerves. All around a very entertaining show that brough a new quality to the group. It left the crowd happily shocked.

Overall it was a great night of drum corps. Racine did a great job of putting together a quality line up, and the orginization from a fan stand point was great! and Greendale HS did a great job of hosting. Thanks again for a great night!

Edited by pvt_cairns

First off Greendale HS seems it was made to host small corps, awesome seating, the consessions wern't insanly over priced (and lets face it, they usually are), and the weather held out to make it a beautiful night to watch drum corps.

As usual for an open class show there was a fairly small but extreamly supportive crowd. I urge all of you that wait for the World class shows to get off of your collective butts and go to an open class show. These were all quality groups, and more entertaining then the norm of what world class is these days. So that being said off we go.

Overall it was a great night of drum corps. Racine did a great job of putting together a quality line up, and the orginization from a fan stand point was great! and Greendale HS did a great job of hosting. Thanks again for a great night!

My wife and I live only a few blocks from the stadium in Greendale. We spent a good deal of time in the afternoon watching two of the corps rehearse. Many people from the surrounding neighborhoods heard the music and showed up out of curiosity. We gladly took the time to explain what was going on and answer questions. The most common comment was, " I wish we would have known about this sooner. We already made plans tonight." I agree that the Racine Scouts organization and Greendale HS did a great job putting on the show.

I do not feel qualified comment on the performances or the review directly. I couldn't carry a tune in a dump truck. I will say that I was thoroughly entertained and after all, isn't that what it's all about?

This reply was for the review of the show. See my other topic thread for further discussion. :thumbup:

I live just down the street, too. For some reason I never noticed the show on the schedule until the day before. I was really bummed because had I known sooner, I definitely would have arranged my work schedule so I could have been there. It's not every day there is a drum corps show just down the street :)

It's great to hear Racine Scouts are doing well. I'm always pulling for them. This is the first summer I haven't gotten to see them at all. I'm glad there was a nice supportive crowd for this show.

I live just down the street, too. For some reason I never noticed the show on the schedule until the day before. I was really bummed because had I known sooner, I definitely would have arranged my work schedule so I could have been there. It's not every day there is a drum corps show just down the street :)

I had some auld Kiltie friends from the 90's who could hear the drums from their house in Greendale and made it to the show. That stadium could have been packed had they just put up posters in the local businesses. Hopefully next year the band boosters can promote the show and really pack that stadium. They did a great job hosting the corps! Greendale is a very nice, old fashioned type of community. Kudos!

It was nice to see VK in the Milwaukee metro area! A first in the corps' history! Hopefully Ray and Dot's has recovered by now too! :thumbup:

SCVC. I'll say this and probably get flammed for it, but oh well. SCV needs to take a class from their little brothers and sisters. Their presance was palpable. You could tell as soon as they walked out of the gate exactly who was on the field. The show was great. Very controlled sound, very interesting show. See you can play an entertaining show, and get credit for it. Drums, guard, and horns all out did themselves. The corps is a tad on the small side for what I expected, but it wasn't a dissapointment to say the least.

Have you even seen SCV this season? They do not need to take a class from anyone. They know who they are and they represent as soon as they walk out of the gate.

It was nice to see VK in the Milwaukee metro area! A first in the corps' history! Hopefully Ray and Dot's has recovered by now too! :thumbup:

Are you sure about that? I know we stayed in River Hill for Whitewater finals in 1973, and marched at West Allis the next day.

Sunday August 19, 1973

West Allis WI Wisconsin State Fair

Position Corps Score

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 91.300

2 Troopers 88.250

3 Madison Scouts 88.050

4 Blue Stars 86.550

5 Kilties 86.450

6 Anaheim Kingsmen 83.900

7 Phantom Regiment 78.750

8 The Thing 75.850

9 Commodores 74.850

10 Velvet Knights 64.000

The problem was that the 80's and 90's shows in the Milwaukee and Racine areas usually occurred earlier in the season when VK was still home in CA. Still glad you got to see the corps, Dale!

Garry in Vegas

PS I'd sure like to know what happened to Commodores that day. Regiment and The Thing didn't even make finals, and Commodores were 12th.

Edited by CrunchyTenor

This is just the review of a fan, so take it for what it's worth.

Any review is worth its weight in gold for a fan like me who can't be there....so thank you.