Fan Network Request

Again, for those that missed it in the other 5,346 threads....

The contract with ESPN runs through this season. The 2009 DCI Finals are still under contract with ESPN. Nothing cab be broadcast, on TV or over the internet, live or recorded, including the scores announcements, without permission from ESPN.

*side note: ESPN will still own the rights to the 2006-2009 DCI seasons, so unless someone purchases the rights from ESPN or Disney have a change of heart, you will not be seeing finals from any of these years online anytime in the near future.

But how does ESPN own the rights to them if they did not pay for them? I'm not trying to argue with... I really would like to know.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But how does ESPN own the rights to them if they did not pay for them? I'm not trying to argue with... I really would like to know.

ESPN has "exclusivity rights" to broadcast finals for these years. In other words, DCI cannot sell to or pay any other network to broadcast finals for 2006-2009. Ownership implies possession not payment. In the contract DCI signed over the broadcast rights probably without receiving any compensation from ESPN/Disney. Exclusive broadcast rights are standard in the TV industry.

ESPN has "exclusivity rights" to broadcast finals for these years. In other words, DCI cannot sell to or pay any other network to broadcast finals for 2006-2009. Ownership implies possession not payment. In the contract DCI signed over the broadcast rights probably without receiving any compensation from ESPN/Disney. Exclusive broadcast rights are standard in the TV industry.

Thank you.

ESPN paid for 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

I was under the impression that DCI paid ESPN to broadcast finals in 2006 and 2007. The reason DCI gave for not having the ESPN broadcast last year was to save money. In fact, I believe DCI tried to get out of the ESPN contract but Disney wouldn't let them.

I was under the impression that DCI paid ESPN to broadcast finals in 2006 and 2007. The reason DCI gave for not having the ESPN broadcast last year was to save money. In fact, I believe DCI tried to get out of the ESPN contract but Disney wouldn't let them.

You are correct, I was wrong above. Now I'm getting myself confused. I should really learn to turn and walk away from these threads.

Edited by Newseditor44

Different request to DCI on VOD. Please put the percussion warm up area a bit further away from where it was last night at Allentown.

The sounds were very disturbing over the corps on the field. During ballads, the outside noise was louder than the corps on the field.

Nevermind,....just saw this in another topic.

Edited by Appleknocker