Star United's website

Hey, the rolling equipment Star traveled on was all used in 85; just the recipient of a nifty paint job. Hope that makes somebody a little less angry! :thumbup:

The busses? Really? What a surprise...give that they were intended for other use to raise funds when not is use for the corps, I would've thought Bill would've bought new...better bang for the buck.

How old WERE they when they were bought?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The busses? Really? What a surprise...give that they were intended for other use to raise funds when not is use for the corps, I would've thought Bill would've bought new...better bang for the buck.

Good question. I wish I remembered all the particulars. Bob Lendman (yeah, that one) was the point man on this project and scoured the country specifically looking for vehicles with some mileage on them so that he could get a good deal. Truck was used too, and then re-fitted under Eric Lund's excellent direction. That's much more in line with the "Cook way" than buying all new, but you are correct that all the instruments were brand spanking new that year. Same set of two valve horns, btw, that they were still using in 1993. Taking care of your equipment was a mantra that was beaten into the marching members from day one.

Good question. I wish I remembered all the particulars. Bob Lendman (yeah, that one) was the point man on this project and scoured the country specifically looking for vehicles with some mileage on them so that he could get a good deal. Truck was used too, and then re-fitted under Eric Lund's excellent direction. That's much more in line with the "Cook way" than buying all new

Ah.....of course...a good, well-done overhaul could do as much for vehicle lifespan as buying new. Good point.

but you are correct that all the instruments were brand spanking new that year. Same set of two valve horns, btw, that they were still using in 1993. Taking care of your equipment was a mantra that was beaten into the marching members from day one.

Yeah...i remember that you were the only corps to not switch any horn over to 3 valve. (I mean....the King line....WHY would you want to??). Granted, the Kanstuls are really the successor to King....same as King was successor to Olds Ultratone....thank you Ziggy!

And man, did I love what you guys did with them! i knew when I saw you at a late season show in 85 that you'd make finals.

PLEASE consider a full on-the-field Sr corps at some time in the future....PLEASE!

the Minicorps is awesome (when they hit Praise Ye a few years back, I could've died happy!), but to see a full corps on the field?? ddrrrooolllllllllllllllllll.....

BTW...someone said they were glad of the switch from the aussies to shakos between 85 and 86....I rather liked the aussies (my only complaint with the original uni was the snare and tenor harnesses were the old white Star carriers....a can of black paint would've hurt so much??)...any idea why the switch?

Ah.....of course...a good, well-done overhaul could do as much for vehicle lifespan as buying new. Good point.

Yeah...i remember that you were the only corps to not switch any horn over to 3 valve. (I mean....the King line....WHY would you want to??). Granted, the Kanstuls are really the successor to King....same as King was successor to Olds Ultratone....thank you Ziggy!

And man, did I love what you guys did with them! i knew when I saw you at a late season show in 85 that you'd make finals.

PLEASE consider a full on-the-field Sr corps at some time in the future....PLEASE!

the Minicorps is awesome (when they hit Praise Ye a few years back, I could've died happy!), but to see a full corps on the field?? ddrrrooolllllllllllllllllll.....

BTW...someone said they were glad of the switch from the aussies to shakos between 85 and 86....I rather liked the aussies (my only complaint with the original uni was the snare and tenor harnesses were the old white Star carriers....a can of black paint would've hurt so much??)...any idea why the switch?

Well, many of us thought the aussies made the corps look short and squat. Not a good thing, especially because it took many years for the corps to become "proficient" marchers. The rumor at the time (and honestly, that's all it was) was that Mason insisted on the aussies, because of his fondness for them during his years in Madison. As the bloom wore off the Mason rose and the hostility starting coming at the corps by the Midwest competitors, there were more and more grumbles about the choice of head gear.

I remember being on the Cook plane (yes, I know how goofy THAT sounds) with Mike Cessario when he first unveiled the drawings of the uniform, and I couldn't get past the color. "Pink? You're going to ask this bunch of newbies to saunter onto the field in PINK FREAKIN UNIFORMS?" (Frankly, the discussion probably had a few more unprintable words in it.) Mr. Smug Larry Kerschner took that moment to inform me we would also be playing an all Disney show, and if there had been a parachute in sight I might have been out the door. I still think I remember there being shakos on that particular picture...but there was a fair amount of drinking going on, and I might be mistaken.

Personally, I thought the shakos made an immediate, positive impact on the overall look of the corps...and I grew very fond of the pink...eventually.

[quote name='84BDsop' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:37 PM' post='2620407'

As best I can remember, the original buses were either 80' or 81' model MCIs from Badger Tour Lines in WI. Not terribly old, but not new either. They were sold on to the Bluecoats after the 89' season I believe. The last I heard I believe the Cascades had the original equipment trailer, now affectionately known as the "brASS thEATER". Named by the way the open door covered the br and th in the name during the Brass Theater years. Not sure of the wearabouts of the kitchen trailer. It was still sporting Star paint in the late nineties when I saw it in use by the Cavies after theirs had a fire.

Busy month for the SU crew, with Finals in our backyard and a Star Alumni Corps camp in B-town the weekend after. Then it is minicorps time. Dress rehearsal the Saturday afternoon before DCA week at Carmel HS, Carmel IN for those in the area.

Edited by mchromik

This thread got me thinkin- I've never looked around at other DCA corps / mini corps sites.... I found some good ones - but one in particular really perked me up.

This sucker is awesome!!!!

http://www.renegades.org/blog/index.php

Awesome site guys/gals - can't wait to see your show!!!!!!