The Future of Drum Corps?

Disclaimer: This post is offered as an opportunity to stimulate an important discussion, NOT to criticize.

In these troubled times, DCI and DCA need to look very carefully at what their roles in the future of the OVERALL activity will be. There is undoubtedly a steady decline in participation. While there is a natural tendency to focus on the blame for this decline, focus should instead be on what to do to reverse the decline. The participants of this activity should be able to look to the collective experience of the officials in both DCI and DCA to provide enough leadership to guide this activity through the inevitable changes ahead. At the same time these same officials should be leading in the effort to INCREASE the number of opportunities for young people to enjoy the positive experiences that drum corps provides.

I invite DCI and DCA officials especially, but also the corps organizations and drum corps fans everywhere to answer the following questions:

1) What SPECIFICALLY are you doing to INCREASE the oportunities in drum corps for young people everywhere?

2) What SPECIFICALLY are you doing to promote the drum corps activity, ESPECIALLY AT THE BEGINNER LEVEL?

3) Does a 12,13,14,15,16,etc. year-old with no money and no prior musical experience but a strong desire to learn, have a future in drum corps?

It is my opinion that if these issues are not addressed with open minds and soon, the drum corps activity will be reduced to a small, elitist tour of well connected and/or wealthy performers interested in little more than their egos and/or their wallets. One last thing. It would show some integrity if those of you wishing to respond would use your real names.

Rick Melcher

Here goes my soapbox (for what it's worth) :sad:

1) What SPECIFICALLY are you doing to INCREASE the oportunities in drum corps for young people everywhere?

I talk it up on my facebook profile...DCI should really utilize the social networks. There are hoards of folks facebooking, tweeting, using my space ect. and the media knows this. That is why you can now tweet or see it on facebook for most major new casts and other shows out there.

I teach music every day as a music educator in our public schools and whenever I have a conversation about the need to keep music education in the schools (from elementary to high school), even as they are currently being cut due to budget constraints. I even show drum corps videos to my orchestra classes for musical evaluation lessons...long story and/or to joke about why at times it is nicer to be a string player :lol: Finally, I write to my local news agencies to do stories on kids who march Drum Corps in the summer and I send my young daughter out on tour because she loves the activity and I go to shows, both OC and WC and talk up her experience in corps with the folks around me (such a nosy, social butterfly I am)

2) What SPECIFICALLY are you doing to promote the drum corps activity, ESPECIALLY AT THE BEGINNER LEVEL?

Again, I talk to elementary kids about joining their school music programs. There is no local drumcorps where I am from, so we use the young corps from Mexico as examples. I have talked to some of my middle and high school students and parents about groups like BDC. I wish DCI or my fine city of El Paso, had done better. This year, I had noticed Drums Along the Border did not happen. It is sad because that was probably the one chance Drum Corps fans in my area actually got to see a show live. Don't know why, but IMO, it probably had to do with the low attendance in a huge stadium. No hype for the show stated from someone who would attend with friends but that is because I would look at the tour schedule at the beginning of the season and mark my calenders...not necessarily from all the press it would receive (sarcasm intended).

3) Does a 12,13,14,15,16,etc. year-old with no money and no prior musical experience but a strong desire to learn, have a future in drum corps?

Again, this is where Open Corps is a viable necessity for DCI. Groups like BDC, BDB, SCVC and others are, for some, their only chance at getting music education because their schools don't have band. choir or orchestra programs. This should be one of DCI's biggest investment because (and I love a WC show also) WC needs kids who have marching and playing experience to be able to continue to compete at the amazing levels of artistry they are marching at and the way you achieve this is to have more mature, experienced musicians on the field. Because of what is happening in the public schools, I see this pool of performers to become extremely limited very soon.

I already feel this in my program because in Texas, middle and high school orchestra and band programs are competitive. Each year (and this has nothing to do with talent), the kids I get from my elementary feeder patterns are performing at a lower level because they go into orchestra at 5th grade with no prior musical knowledge (my district has very few schools who offer music classes in grades PK-4). For most, orchestra is the first chance they get at music class. This is a double edged sword because the elementary orchestra teacher ends up with orchestras of 50 or more kids, but then they get to middle school and drop to go to band (which is great for the band teacher because he gets kids who already read).

On my end, I work hard to recruit, bring in good numbers, but the kids have only one year of music experience and I have to have them competition ready by April after TAKS testing to be able to compete at UIL standards. It is a marathon of madness.

One suggestion that could perhaps count as a community service item for all those college members within the WC class corps would be to do school visits in their neighborhoods and perform their IE piece, bring in a video clip and talk up corps. It is alot more meaningful from a member than the teacher to most kids. When the El Paso Symphony was reinstating their youth orchestra programs, Ben Loeb and his small staff took alot of time to come out and talk to the kids about the group. When the group got off the ground and they would get a guest performer, he would put out (first come first serve for this) an all call via email to have that young soloist come out to the schools and perform a bit and talk up the concert and the orchestra. He gave all the kids who got first divisions on their solos for their IE a coupon for a free ticket, which of course made at least one parent have to attend. They also made alot of noise in local news, community events ect. Again for the sake of recruitment and ticket sales.

It is five years down the road and now El Paso has four youth orchestra programs, two symphony and two string (to help feed into the big groups as kids age out). The program has also spawned a wind ensemble, a couple of small brass ensembles, and a couple of woodwind ensembles (again, like Open Corps, not a talent issue, an educational oppotunity that also sustains the program). The kids pay to participate. They have a financial assistance program for kids with financial issues (by application) and a scholarship program for some of their college members.

Drum Corps may become a sweet memory if they don't start doing something to get the word out their to a more diverse public and not just old drum corps fans and/or music ed people like myself and get it to the layman and their kids. Also they need to work on getting those Open Class corps more press so those "entry" level kids understand there is a place for them also in the drum corps activity.

Diane

Some afterthoughts as insane as they me be:

Get some of the corps to volunteer for the annual pledge drives for their local PBS station. Someone has to be watching because PBS keeps going. Maybe DCI will give up a few videos during those pledge breaks to show clips of the kids marching. Helps up PBS cash because crazy parents like me will call in to pledge $5 to see their kid on TV or to talk to them on the phone during the drive. Helps drum corps because it gives them some televised exposure.

Speaking of PBS, they have a show called from the top that features the best and brightest of up and coming young classical muscians from all walks of life. Is there some type of educational promo DCI could possible produce to feature some of their standouts from the different corps, World and Open that can be shown on educational TV stations offered on cable. Here is the website for From the Top: From the Top

Maybe get some of the corps to play on an episode of Sesame Street. I mean, my kid is too old for that stuff but when she was little she watched Justin Timberlake on Sesame Street and was an instant fan...

Maybe just get back in league with PBS altogether....

Edited by txorchdork013

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: This post is offered as an opportunity to stimulate an important discussion, NOT to criticize.

I don't know what qualifies someone as knowledgeable enough to make observations or offer opinions that will be taken seriously within this activity. I offer my observations as someone who has never marched or instructed, but as someone who has observed both admirable and reprehensible conduct of not only individuals but organizations within the drum corps activity. While this is naturally true about nearly any kind of activity you can think of, the reason I write this post is because I truly believe that the tremendous amount of good that this activity offers young people far outweighs the selfishness and pettiness that, in my opinion, is steadily on the rise.

In these troubled times, DCI and DCA need to look very carefully at what their roles in the future of the OVERALL activity will be. There is undoubtedly a steady decline in participation. While there is a natural tendency to focus on the blame for this decline, focus should instead be on what to do to reverse the decline. The participants of this activity should be able to look to the collective experience of the officials in both DCI and DCA to provide enough leadership to guide this activity through the inevitable changes ahead. At the same time these same officials should be leading in the effort to INCREASE the number of opportunities for young people to enjoy the positive experiences that drum corps provides.

I invite DCI and DCA officials especially, but also the corps organizations and drum corps fans everywhere to answer the following questions:

It is my opinion that if these issues are not addressed with open minds and soon, the drum corps activity will be reduced to a small, elitist tour of well connected and/or wealthy performers interested in little more than their egos and/or their wallets. One last thing. It would show some integrity if those of you wishing to respond would use your real names.

Rick Melcher

I am not the head of any drum corps, however I have been around most levels of the activity, so I’ll attempt to provide some insight as far as DCI (I am not too familiar with DCA corps to be honest)

1) The short answer to all of your questions is money. To my knowledge, there is nothing that DCI can do specifically to create a drum corps aside from offering the new corps’ directors guidance. Obviously the activity is non-profit based, and as a result, substantial amounts of money are necessary in order for a corps to operate during a season. Frankly operating DCI is like operating/marketing a drum corps. For a more competitive corps, you’re easily looking at $1,000,000+ in expenses. Unfortunately, because there is such a huge demand for these corps’ to be seen, they have to travel larger distances to expose themselves to a greater audience. And there are more expenses that go into it when you consider food, housing, fuel, staffing, and several other factors. It used to be that neighborhoods would sponsor an area drum corps, and maybe on occasion they’d go out of town and compete/perform with other area corps. For a long time drum corps was a very regionalized activity, so you didn’t see as many corps travel across the country like you see today; this was mainly pre-DCI whenever the VFW, American Legion, and other similar championships were the things to do until their demise in the early 70’s. Back then drum corps were paid more the higher that they placed, so corps’ who would travel cross-country and place last often lost money, which was a serious problem if you didn’t have any to begin with. There was a need for change. So when DCI was created, drum corps went mainstream, or so to say. As the years progressed, corps needed more money to travel and compete with the demands of a DCI tour, and as a result more groups folded. So unless some of your closest friends are millionaires, I would be implored to tell you that creating a drum corps in these times is near impossible. We can talk about bailouts and whatnot, but that would be nothing more than wishful thinking. That and I don’t want to bring up a heated political discussion about something that Washington shouldn’t have to subsidize. :lol: I might be going out on a limb here, but since the creation of DCI, there has actually been a decrease in opportunity being that there are drastically fewer corps when compared to 30 years ago. The reality is that you either have the money to do it or you don’t, and this activity isn’t cheap...I’m sure you are very aware of this if you are a father of someone who has marched.

2) DCI doesn’t bring in enough profit to have the marketing strategies of other larger non-profit companies because a generous part of their proceeds go towards offsetting the cost of school uses, stadiums, marketing, operations, financial compensation, and to help aid the competing corps’...and to make sure all of the judges get to all of the shows and they have nice comfortable rocks to sleep on...well, that or they pay good money to have them run around the field with sticks up their a**es. I think if they did more publications like issuing press releases for their shows (especially for the open-class corps) that they would be best off utilizing local media to do their job for them. I used to march for a Div. III corps, so I know what it’s like to be neglected by DCI. The music world is very small, so I would imagine that exposure is obtained through conventions and general hype by educators, fans, parents, and members. Broadcasting Quarter Finals live in the theaters, but I highly doubt they profit anything after operational costs. I know I do what I can. The sad truth is that when people are introduced to the activity, they’re shown a show from one of the “big boys.” I mean, you’re not going to show them a video of the Cherrychoke Brigadiers from 1982, you’re going to show them Madison ’95, Cadets ’00, Star ’93, Phantom ’96, Blue Devils ’99, Cavaliers ’02, etc.

3) Going off of my previous statements...40 years ago, yes. This day and age with the current trend in competition, I’m afraid not. I do believe that those who participate in the activity will enjoy a life-changing experience that cannot be duplicated by any other activity. But the sad truth is that, as with most other things, drum corps is fueled by money. If there is a will, I am sure there is a way. I know that most of the people in the activity are middle-class Americans and that a good number of them sacrifice things like relationships, work, and college in order to participate. After having done this activity for multiple years, it gets to a point where being in a corps is not so much vanity, but rather an obligation. For some people, life gets put on hold. That’s the sacrifice that we make. That being said, anyone can learn how to march, much the same that anyone can learn how to spin, though there has to be the fundamental ability to play an instrument or dance with a modern drum corps. I know Cavaliers who had never spin before they auditioned, and while I was at Revolution there was a tenor player, who had only been playing drums for a year, could out-play most guys in DCI.

I know that I am not one to speak for other people, but I understand that you want the activity to be more accessible for young people. It is a wonderful activity. I just wish money wasn’t as big of a factor as it is. Hope my insight helps out!

Sincerely,

Travis Fisk

I am not the head of any drum corps, however I have been around most levels of the activity, so I’ll attempt to provide some insight as far as DCI (I am not too familiar with DCA corps to be honest)

1) The short answer to all of your questions is money. To my knowledge, there is nothing that DCI can do specifically to create a drum corps aside from offering the new corps’ directors guidance. Obviously the activity is non-profit based, and as a result, substantial amounts of money are necessary in order for a corps to operate during a season. Frankly operating DCI is like operating/marketing a drum corps. For a more competitive corps, you’re easily looking at $1,000,000+ in expenses. Unfortunately, because there is such a huge demand for these corps’ to be seen, they have to travel larger distances to expose themselves to a greater audience. And there are more expenses that go into it when you consider food, housing, fuel, staffing, and several other factors. It used to be that neighborhoods would sponsor an area drum corps, and maybe on occasion they’d go out of town and compete/perform with other area corps. For a long time drum corps was a very regionalized activity, so you didn’t see as many corps travel across the country like you see today; this was mainly pre-DCI whenever the VFW, American Legion, and other similar championships were the things to do until their demise in the early 70’s. Back then drum corps were paid more the higher that they placed, so corps’ who would travel cross-country and place last often lost money, which was a serious problem if you didn’t have any to begin with. There was a need for change. So when DCI was created, drum corps went mainstream, or so to say. As the years progressed, corps needed more money to travel and compete with the demands of a DCI tour, and as a result more groups folded. So unless some of your closest friends are millionaires, I would be implored to tell you that creating a drum corps in these times is near impossible. We can talk about bailouts and whatnot, but that would be nothing more than wishful thinking. That and I don’t want to bring up a heated political discussion about something that Washington shouldn’t have to subsidize. :thumbup: I might be going out on a limb here, but since the creation of DCI, there has actually been a decrease in opportunity being that there are drastically fewer corps when compared to 30 years ago. The reality is that you either have the money to do it or you don’t, and this activity isn’t cheap...I’m sure you are very aware of this if you are a father of someone who has marched.

Travis ... Hammer. Nail. Head. Hit.

You've nailed it Travis. To quote a line in the movie "The Right Stuff" ... "No Bucks, No Buck Rogers. It's not rockets that get us into space, it's funding".

You can have the most talented kids in the world, with the most entertaining show, but if you can't get them in safe busses, feed them on tour, and oh yes, buy equipment and pay staff ... your corps is destined to fail.

In "the good old days" of the '70s, DCI did hold regional seminars, where experts from the stronger corps would give training on all subjects: "How to score a song for drum corps voices", "How to feed a corps on tour", "How to do souvies", etc. And the smaller corps (such as the Blue Devils at that time) could learn from the "masters". I don't remember when these seminars stopped, but I think it was sometime in the late '70s, early '80s.

One of the main things that I have found in my time in corps management is that most corps treat their business like a "non-profit" not like a "business". By this, I mean there are a number of dedicated passionate individuals who spend a lot of personal time and personal money in getting the corps going and doing whatever it takes. They eventually get burned out, and someone else comes in and the cycle continues. Operational things get done because they become fires that need to be put out ... not necessarily because of lack of planning, but because of lack of volunteers, lack of time, etc. The board spends time worrying about thinks like "who's going to sew flags", or "where do we find a place to rehearse", rather than "how can we raise money", "how do we manage our finances", etc.

A few corps have made the transition from a "Parents Club" to a "business". By this I mean that there is a Board of Directors that are passionate about the activity, but ALSO have strong, and diverse, business skills: Accounting, Legal, Property Management, Entrepreneur, Technical, Finance, who, by there nature, are good at strategic (long term) thinking and planning, along with the experience to do tactical (day-to-day) management as needed. One other key factor to these "business governance" models, is that the board members are not paid staff (which presents a conflict of interest) or have a majority of active parents (to get away from the "you should give our kids more breaks" problem). The Board of Directors hires an Executive Director / CEO to take care of the budgeting and the day-to-day running of the organization, who then is accountable to the board.

Businesses manage their assets (i.e., money, people) to give them the best "Return".

2) DCI doesn’t bring in enough profit to have the marketing strategies of other larger non-profit companies because a generous part of their proceeds go towards offsetting the cost of school uses, stadiums, marketing, operations, financial compensation, and to help aid the competing corps’...and to make sure all of the judges get to all of the shows and they have nice comfortable rocks to sleep on...well, that or they pay good money to have them run around the field with sticks up their a**es. I think if they did more publications like issuing press releases for their shows (especially for the open-class corps) that they would be best off utilizing local media to do their job for them. I used to march for a Div. III corps, so I know what it’s like to be neglected by DCI. The music world is very small, so I would imagine that exposure is obtained through conventions and general hype by educators, fans, parents, and members. Broadcasting Quarter Finals live in the theaters, but I highly doubt they profit anything after operational costs. I know I do what I can. The sad truth is that when people are introduced to the activity, they’re shown a show from one of the “big boys.” I mean, you’re not going to show them a video of the Cherrychoke Brigadiers from 1982, you’re going to show them Madison ’95, Cadets ’00, Star ’93, Phantom ’96, Blue Devils ’99, Cavaliers ’02, etc.

You make some good points. DCI's first priority is to set up a tour schedule, and to manage / promote it's own shows. And, their priority is set by the DCI Board of Directors, who are themselves (mostly) corps directors.

Again, money comes into play ... how much money should DCI invest in promotions of shows (that aren't DCI sponsored regional shows)? They don't have alot of money right now to spend. HOWEVER, I do believe that they should be providing guidance to local show sponsors on HOW to promote their shows (i.e., sample press releases, videos to give to TV stations, etc.). Putting together a "reusable package" that show sponsors can use to guide them through the show management process would be of immense help.

Also, as a separate issue, I think that DCI should (as they did in the '70s), teach new corps directors / staff on how to run their corps (i.e., transportation, food, music, logistics, etc.). Again, the training for new corps would be invaluable to many small corps (as it was to us).

And finally, I think that DCI should be fostering a business interchange between the Board of Directors of corps. All corps Boards have the exact same problems of finance, legal, and other issues. The competition should be by the kids on the field, not between boards of directors. The Boards should be putting their talents on 1) making sure their organization is financially viable, and 2) making sure the activity is viable so there will be place for their corps to perform in the future!

3) Going off of my previous statements...40 years ago, yes. This day and age with the current trend in competition, I’m afraid not. I do believe that those who participate in the activity will enjoy a life-changing experience that cannot be duplicated by any other activity. But the sad truth is that, as with most other things, drum corps is fueled by money. If there is a will, I am sure there is a way. I know that most of the people in the activity are middle-class Americans and that a good number of them sacrifice things like relationships, work, and college in order to participate. After having done this activity for multiple years, it gets to a point where being in a corps is not so much vanity, but rather an obligation. For some people, life gets put on hold. That’s the sacrifice that we make. That being said, anyone can learn how to march, much the same that anyone can learn how to spin, though there has to be the fundamental ability to play an instrument or dance with a modern drum corps. I know Cavaliers who had never spin before they auditioned, and while I was at Revolution there was a tenor player, who had only been playing drums for a year, could out-play most guys in DCI.

I know that I am not one to speak for other people, but I understand that you want the activity to be more accessible for young people. It is a wonderful activity. I just wish money wasn’t as big of a factor as it is. Hope my insight helps out!

Excellent statements, Travis. The primary goal of every corps should be a positive, live enriching experience through their performances and interrelationships with their peers and staff. It was for me. The only thing I played before I was in BD was the accordion! Jim Ott, Wayne Downey, and Mel Canales taught me how to play the bari from scratch and I was a lead after one year, and gave me the confidence to become section leader, which led to many successes in my life. I wish everyone that opportunity.

The thing that makes Drum Crops "relevant" to todays society is this unique life enriching experience. It's not the big tours and the big shows, it's the life experience. I got this experience through Jerry Seawright right from the start. And I got this experience mainly, not as a "DCI Winner", but through the process of getting there. Jerry set the tone of the organization in "the good old days" when we were still loosing to the Audobon Bon-Bon Girls!

It does require sacrifice ... but not only that, it requires leadership to provide the strategic business planning, and the tactical follow-through, at all levels: DCI, Regionally, Board of Directors, Executive Director, and Staff.

Sorry for rambling ... my 2 centavos!

Successful models for new drum corps are out there.

I would suggest three examples to look at.

1. Troopers - look at what they've done this decade.

2. Blue Stars - wow...same idea...this decade.

3. Academy - from scratch to WC 13th place...mainly local and heavy involvement by parents.

So, as someone else said...this is not DCI's problem...this is your and my problem. I support the Academy here in Tempe and feel fortunate I landed here with a great drum corps organization in my city.

So, as far as kids with no money??? DCP should set up a scholarship fund, perhaps. It would be something...more than just a bunch of second guessers bantering around about falling skies.

Sounds like we have some passionate people who might just be spurred to action. What if DCP could raise enough annually to sponsor one member for each of the Open Class corps? What if we could expand that....to each of the World Class corps? What if there was a DCP endowed membership in each DCI corps? Could happen. Who's going to start it?

Sincerely,

Travis Fisk

Rather than loose my temper about the "generous part of their (DCI) proceeds", I will simply say this. I invite DCI to publically display their financial report (in a fashion where the average person can read it) and show the entire drum corps world EXACTLY what their $10,000,000 annual budget pays for and how it helps the individual corps. This is the amount Dan Acheson stated in his interview with Inside Indiana Business.

When we were "required" to host a show, we were "required" to paid for the housing of the corps and the judges, marketing and advertising, and the stadium. We were NEVER given any compensation from DCI, but we were always "required" to pay our membership dues.

Sincerely,

Travis Fisk

Rather than loose my temper about the "generous part of their (DCI) proceeds", I will simply say this. I invite DCI to publically display their financial report (in a fashion where the average person can read it) and show the entire drum corps world EXACTLY what their $10,000,000 annual budget pays for and how it helps the individual corps. This is the amount Dan Acheson stated in his interview with Inside Indiana Business.

When we were "required" to host a show, we were "required" to paid for the housing of the corps and the judges, marketing and advertising, and the stadium. We were NEVER given any compensation from DCI, but we were always "required" to pay our membership dues.

Successful models for new drum corps are out there.

I would suggest three examples to look at.

1. Troopers - look at what they've done this decade.

2. Blue Stars - wow...same idea...this decade.

3. Academy - from scratch to WC 13th place...mainly local and heavy involvement by parents.

So, as someone else said...this is not DCI's problem...this is your and my problem. I support the Academy here in Tempe and feel fortunate I landed here with a great drum corps organization in my city.

So, as far as kids with no money??? DCP should set up a scholarship fund, perhaps. It would be something...more than just a bunch of second guessers bantering around about falling skies.

Sounds like we have some passionate people who might just be spurred to action. What if DCP could raise enough annually to sponsor one member for each of the Open Class corps? What if we could expand that....to each of the World Class corps? What if there was a DCP endowed membership in each DCI corps? Could happen. Who's going to start it?

How bout a DCP sponsored corps or organization or government. Hey, but which forum will it be run out of? :thumbup:

Not if you were a big boy corps!

:thumbup::worthy::worthy:

Write the check for the week at Indy. I'm sure it has many zeros after the $.

By the way, if you are bringing this anti-DCI thread...you better have more on the table than an investigation of the DCI budget.

Ten million sounds like a lot of cash right? Not very much at all actually. And guidestar will show you the bottom line on the net. I would wager it being around $250,000.00 or less at the end of the year...and last year (2008), I have a source who told me DCI did not break even.

So, it's not like DCI has $10,000,000.00 lining someone's pocket. Again, bring something better to the table about what DCI does or doesn't do.