Will a 2009 Blue Devils Title win signal a change ?

Brasso...you make some interesting observations which I tend to agree with. I believe that once again BD is on the cutting edge (as they were last year)

and the other Corps not so much. I decided to do a little research to see how the "elite" stacked up with BD. Everyone seems to think that the Cadets and Cavies and (now) Crown are right there with the Blue Devils. Here is what the stats say:

Over the past two years ('08 and '09) the Blue Devils are 48-2 to this point. Think about that...think about what an amazing acomplishment that is.

Competing against the elites, they have only lost twice in the past two years...(Allentown -.35 vs. the Cavies last year...and of course -.025 vs the Amazing

Phantom Spartacus show at Bloomington last year).

over the past two years: Crown is 0-11...Cadets are 0-11...and the Cavies are 1-17 heads up vs. BD....The Blue Devils are 39-1 vs the elites.

So you would think the Blue Devils had won the respect of DCI fans everywhere, but not so...these forums are full of complaints of Chair usage, and easyness of show, and West Coast Inflation. Its difficult for me to understand how people cannot appreciate the hardwork and talent that BD consistantly rolls out onto the field and give them (at least) some credit. As much as I love "my" Corps, I always have room to praise others that are doing well. For example Phantom last year. Spartacus, The Machine, and the Zone are some of my all-time favs.

I dunno...perhaps some people are just incapable of praise no matter how worthy the Corps.

Brasso, Hope I didn't hijack your thread...I believe these stats dovetail nicely with your thoughts about BD's cutting edge style.

Cali.

Even though you don't march Blue Devils, I'll cut you some slack and " let you blow your own horn " re. the Blue Devils success on my thread. I recall the Blue Devils doing those high velocity BACKWARD marching moves and thought, man, if one of those marchers slips and falls down, all the ones marching backward and playing at the same time are going to all go down in a very nasty heap of humanity ( haha). I have no dog in this hunt anymore. So I'll grant you as an observer that the Blue Devils on DCP seem to get little hype, nor much acknlowledgement for their many successes.

the Duke Blue Devils and the Concord Blue Devils are joined at the hip in this regard, Calistar.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT'S NOT ABOUT 'DEMAND' IT'S ABOUT EFFECT!!!

Blue Devils are doing some demanding stuff in their show, and it is obviously very effective for them. Corps will continue to design shows in ways that they feel are effective, and Blue Devil's show this year will not change anything.

What MIGHT change things is SCV's show design. They are taking a somewhat old-school approach to their design this year, placing ALL emphasis on music and not putting one count of visual on the field unless it is 100% complimentary to the music. While it has become trendy to play lots of notes while creating a crazy amount of velocity via drill, SCV is doing EXACTLY what the music calls for, and they are getting rewarded for it to an extent. If they come out at Finals and score higher than 5th, I think it's possible that they may slightly change the trends in design.

But IMO Blue Devils are doing nothing they haven't been doing for most of this decade: designing effective shows and executing the snot out of 'em.

Only problem with this for me is I still think Devils arrangements sound choppy this year.

I will acknowlege this. But this is the Blue Devils musical style of late. If ( say ) Crown came out next year with the use of more stationary props useage ( and less high velocity drill ), I could see them doing so with less choppiness in their brass chart arangements.

If the Blue Devils win this year, I doubt very much that we'll see the Cadets not come out with props that they'll use prominently, and in a stationary position, on the field next year. Same with SC Vanguard. Guess we'll have to see if these Corps still believe the high velocity drills can still win a title when those with the MOST high velocity moves in their shows have not won a title for awhile now with this stylistic visual approach.

Edited by BRASSO

This year:

BD is being BD

Cavies are being the Cavies

Cadets are being the Cadets (er, HNC rather)

SCV is being SCV

Bluecoats are being the Bluecoats

Phantom is being Phantom and

and Crown is still developing their style (and doing a good job of it)

The days of everyone trying to be the same in order to win is over.

I think the Cavaliers visual drill moves for 2009 are not a departure from them at all. By contrast, the 2009 Blue Devils visual show is a departure from their 2008 visual show. ( again, I 'm not talking which stylistic approach is " better " ). The visual show design from this year's HN Cadets is vastly different than last year's Cadets show ( as one would expect as it is an anniversary celebration production ). 2009 Crown's visual designed show is also vastly different in design from their 2008 visual as well. There is more velocity in their drill than we have seen from them in the past. Most of the Corps have much of their movements done with high verlocity. 2009 Blue Devils have some moments of high velocity in their drill this year, but it's show is more striking to the degree such high velocity movements are absent for much of it's 2009 visual show.

Edited by BRASSO

No. In no way will other corps try to emulate BD.

I think the issues people have with BD's show is that it's such a different style. My favorite moments in drum corps are usually influenced by the drill at the time. I want to see a Cadets psycho ending. I want to see Crown form the crown and then spiral-scatter into the ending. I want to see Cavaliers do fast geometric movement that takes my breath away.

I like obviously hard drill, just like other people prefer screaming sops or old-school guard.

BD do great shows, and as I said last year "they're finally starting to march some drill", but they're never going to give me what I really really want visually. And if others were to start emulating them then I would be a Sad Panda.

Great question Brasso. I think a lot of us have been suggesting just this very thing in terms of trends for some months now. In fact, it has already begun....both BD and Crown (the two top ranked corps) are doing out of box things this year. True, Crown is a little closer to the traditional but they are definately using some of BD's tricks from last year. So...I think if your design team is creative enough and can absorb new ideas without offending the traditions of drum corps and keep up your captions (guard, brass, percussion) you will be a contender in the future. IMO, those corps that continue to do rapid, kaleidoscopic drill in the future will do well but will not contend for a ring. The signal has been sent and two years in a row BD has gone practically undefeated, what more do the other corps need to see to know that THIS is the direction of design.

Great question Brasso. I think a lot of us have been suggesting just this very thing in terms of trends for some months now. In fact, it has already begun....both BD and Crown (the two top ranked corps) are doing out of box things this year. True, Crown is a little closer to the traditional but they are definately using some of BD's tricks from last year. So...I think if your design team is creative enough and can absorb new ideas without offending the traditions of drum corps and keep up your captions (guard, brass, percussion) you will be a contender in the future. IMO, those corps that continue to do rapid, kaleidoscopic drill in the future will do well but will not contend for a ring. The signal has been sent and two years in a row BD has gone practically undefeated, what more do the other corps need to see to know that THIS is the direction of design.

In my opinion, the Blue Devils won't be doing any high velocity drills next year should they win this year. The Cavaliers in my opinion should be credited with much of the creativity that ushered in the Visual Age that won them a few titles not that long ago. Maybe this high velocity style will win a title again. I say it won't. But that's just my opinion. And I could be wrong.

I'm not saying that ALL Corps will abandon this high velocity marching style next year. Nor that it is even preferable that they or others do so. But I am saying that we'll see more stationary props used next year and SOME Corps toning down some of this high velocity drill moves we've come to see of late. Otherwise, BD will go out with a similar show next year and these contenders will simply repeat what has made them top contenders of late, but not title winners. I can see a few Corps rethinking this high velocity drill approach in pursuit of a title at the end of this season. I'll even go out on a limb and predict which will be one of Corps that will alter their drill approach and props consideration should the Blue Devils win this year...... the Cadets. But who knows. This is just my personal prediction and speculation afterall. Time will tell.

Edited by BRASSO

Any Corps that changes it's style to emulate what BD is doing will once again be behind the curve. Its better to be

proactive rather than reactive...Corps need to think of new and fresh ideas. Frantic kaleidoscope is cool to watch

but hardly the cutting edge.

Cali.

Edited by Calistar

Any Corps that changes it's style to emulate what BD is doing will once again be behind the curve. Its better to be

proactive rather than reactive...Corps need to think of new and fresh ideas. Frantic kaleidoscope is cool to watch

but hardly the cutting edge.

Cali.

As the saying goes, immitation is the greatest form of flattery. Corps that win a DCI title have a profound effect on future show productions stylistically. I'm not suggesting that Corps emulate the Blue Devils. They won't. But a Corps could easily use stationary props next year in a creative way and it will be of their own unique design and creativity.

Lets not forget that the Blue Devils were the LAST Corps to come into the Visual Age back in the late 80's and early 90's. They relunctantly recognized that simply playing great jazz accompanied by a killer drum line was no longer their ticket to a DCI Title. So THEY changed. For all their great accomplishments the Blue Devils did not usher in the Visual Age of Drum Corps .The Cadets and The Cavaliers did. The Blue Devils were brought into the Visual Age kicking and screaming. But once there, they adapted quite nicely indeed.

I can envision other Corps evaluating the landscape and adjusting accordingly as well. And high velocity drills.... where some marchers are running to position..... and out of step I might add... just to complete the visual move..... those days I believe we are about to turn the page on. And the Blue Devils 2009 production is just the beginning of thev end for The Visual Age as the activity continues to evolve over time. That's how I see it anyway. ( and the synth, a guitar, etc is NOT used to ehance a VISUAL move Drum Corps fans )

Edited by BRASSO