Will a 2009 Blue Devils Title win signal a change ?

Ok, I didn't even read any of this thread because I know I would just get angry.

But for the record, BD's show isn't easy this year. They're just ####### GOOD.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I didn't even read any of this thread because I know I would just get angry.

But for the record, BD's show isn't easy this year. They're just ####### GOOD.

While I completely agree, prepare for some 3rd degree burns.

I like the OP's hypothesis and theory. Very well done. This is the kind of thread that can spark great discussion.

I see this 3 ways:

1. On one level I agree with Brasso that the Blue Devils are going to help affect change with this year's show, perhaps more than others. Whether they win or not, we are going to have corps wondering why their demanding, "throw the Kitchen sync at them" shows are not beating perhaps a less demanding show (in their opinion). I see BD's show as very demanding, but more importantly a show that is seamless in design and super well performed. BD, I have always felt, tries to put the emphasis on music, with the guard and visual book enhancing that music. To me, this is where the activity should be, but we also need for individual styles to blossom.

2. I agree with Pinwiz that we don't want everyone looking the same. This was one of my biggest criticisms in the 80s and 90s. When Garfield changed the outlook of show design, they did so for themselves, not because they wanted everyone to copy them. But many, many corps did just that...copied them. Most were not ready for it, most had no understanding of it, and some couldn't find an identity if Jesus himself offered to share one with them. In addition to Garfield, the two other successful corps of the 80s were BD and SCV. Why? They never lost their identity. BD didn't care if you were running around and playing runs galore. Good for you. That was your style. But BD had their style, and they managed to make it work as well. SCV has theirs, and it worked also. Phantom, for a while, lost their way. Madison would eventually lose their way (much later), Spirit of Atlanta and many others would also lose their way. The Cavaliers, however, found geometry and pioneered a style they could call their own. It worked. So if it feels as though BD is trying to pull us back to some sense of sanity, perhaps they are, but I truly believe they have been like that for years. We are just NOW noticing, because they keep winning in the face of all this INSANITY!

So yes, I want to see Cadets do some craziness, Cavaliers do geometry, SCV do straight-up drum corps, BD perform like Gods, and Phantom do classical. Those corps have a STYLE. The problem is not those corps, it's the many others that have no style but try to copy speed, demand, and then copy ideas to see if they can make them their own. I could care less how hard your show is, if it is poorly constructed, you will not score well, and the audience could care less.

3. IF the era that BD is ushering in is one focussed on good music and musical arranging, then I am buying. I do think the choppiness, popcorn, donut style arranged shows are slowing becoming a thing of the past, but many still exist. All the corps have been guilty. Visual certainly got in the way. Not because visual is bad, but because visual is demanding, difficult to conceptualize, and it requires mucho amount of time in rehearsals. I still see music as the primary focus of this activity, largely because what you hear affects you more than what you see in this activity. Nothing indicates this more than a person's willingness to listen to a stand still. How many would be OK with corps doing visual only and no music after a show has been cancelled. I realize they wouldn't, but what if they could. Wouldn't you want sound?

Edited by jwillis35

over the past two years: Crown is 0-11...Cadets are 0-11...and the Cavies are 1-17 heads up vs. BD....The Blue Devils are 39-1 vs the elites.

Wait, why is Crown and elite and not Phantom? Phantom has been in the Top 5 for way longer than Crown, and while Phantom is pretty inconsistent, I see holding a high spot for years to come.

Ignorance is bliss!

The 90's and today represented the birth of the Visual Age in the Drum Corps era.

OK. I haven't finished reading your entire post But this sentence stopped me from going any further. (I'm not finished reading, so I'm sure that you're making a valid point, which I may comment on later. )

To say that the "birth" of the visual age was the 90's is just factually incorrect. Two of the biggest influences on visual design were Steve Brubaker and George Zingali and both of them were writing pieces that were helping to reframe the whole art of visual design prior to to 1990.

Ok. Gonna keep reading now...

I'm actually looking for someone to prove me wrong with this comment, because I don't like my opinion on it. I just feel like it's heading too much in to BOA land. With the voice, the synths, and the extended use of props, I just don't like the way we're moving.

Can someone give me evidence of otherwise (nicely, please)?

I flip flop back and forth between accepting synths and wanting them removed.

Two years ago I thought I would never be able to tolerate the introduction of synths in a DCI show. Then I started to watch a lot more of what BOA bands have done with them. Some of what I see in BOA is not bad at all. Yes there are those groups that don't quite have them integrated as well as others, but then there are groups like L.D. Bell who have impressed me more than once with their musical shows and supporting instrumentation.

As this is the first year for synths in DCI, it's interesting to listen to what corps had in the way of synth parts at the beginning of the season vs. now. It's as though they suddenly have to fill silence with synth sounds which is not the point. Yes we know you can use them but please don't bash us over the head with them.

By the way, I think Devil's have one of the best integration of synth's out of all the corps.

Wait, why is Crown and elite and not Phantom? Phantom has been in the Top 5 for way longer than Crown, and while Phantom is pretty inconsistent, I see holding a high spot for years to come.

Yes...Phantom is an elite.

So is SCV, etc...<sigh>

Cali.

Edited by Calistar

As for the question of Blue Devils and velocity: I watched them in Allentown with that in mind. I can truthfully state that in my opinion, there is a lot of velocity in their show. They are so good at how they do it style-wise that it looks easy. It isn't.

As for the chairs; I'm quite taken by how even though I'm specifically watching to see how the chairs move, their body positions are such that you don't see the chairs until they show up in a new location. It's almost as if the corps teleports the chairs to the next form.

Years ago, I was one who wrongly felt Blue Devils didn't move that much. In watching the DVDs with more seasoned eyes (and hopefully more intelligence than I possessed years ago), I have to admit I was wrong.

Blue Devils have a style of movement that is unique, and as such, often people don't know how to compare it to how other corps move.

The answer is simple: You DON'T compare it to other corps. You compare it to Blue Devils.

And then you just enjoy.

Speaking of PROPS....let us not forget what the Blue Stars are putting out on the field. Last time I checked they have the biggest props of all. Blue Stars are doing well again this year and BD is probably going to win. It is NOT because of the use of props. If corps start to think "props will help us score more" then they are not thinking very well. I should hope most corps have common sense about that. Just like using synths won't give you and extra edge over the competition.

If you are a corps that makes top 12, or even wins, and you are presenting your show with something different, in this case chairs, then someone else is going to think its a good idea and try something like it the next year. Its the beg borrow and steal method....almost.

That being said, we will probably see more props next year and most of them WILLLL SUUUCCCKKK (echo echo echo).

I think 80% of props, if used, on the field are dumb.....The other 20% consist of the color guard equipment :thumbdown:

I don’t really agree with the OP premise

What we are seeing from BD this year is more of what we saw last year –a show designed around visual effect. It works if you have a good guard (as they do) and is the biggest caption one can own…with all that bleed into other captions

It’s really more of a WGI show in its arranging

I’m surprised other corps haven’t followed suit as much – it screams to me writing to the sheets to max out scores

Not my style of show at all so I hope its not the trend

brass has been moved to a background for guard and drums

We agree. :thumbdown: