Undefeated or Underdog

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but you were coming off as slightly condescending towards any group that has passed up BD at the end of the season. After last year, that really sets me off.

No, you interpreted what I said to be condescending. I had no malicious intentions in that message. In fact, I never mentioned Blue Devils in my original message.

Would you have been set off if I was anonymous?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you interpreted what I said to be condescending. I had no malicious intentions in that message. In fact, I never mentioned Blue Devils in my original message.

Would you have been set off if I was anonymous?

But you weren't anonymous, so I found your opinion regarding consistency to be strangely convenient (in that it favors your corps).

EDIT: Also, is it merely coincidental that the only other person who shares your point of view is another BD vet?

Edited by I play the baritone good

Consistency has always been more impressive to me than one-shot wonders. Anyone can win something once. The rules of probability and chance dictate that it can be done.

Consistently high achievement is completely against everything the random order dictates. Statistics say that, when averaged over time, everything will be average. Being above average consistently is the hardest thing you can ever do, because you're basically fighting the laws of nature. To appeal to the drum guys... which are you more impressed with. The line that plays cleanest roll you've ever heard once or the line that plays their rolls pretty clean every single time. This entire activity is designed around developing consistency.

I think underdog victories tend to appeal to people's pathos and undefeated champions tend to appeal more to people's logos.

EDIT: Also, is it merely coincidental that the only other person who shares your point of view is another BD vet?

This kind of stuff is really starting to irritate me. You're like the little kid poking at a hornets nest wondering how long it will take before the whole thing gets ######.

Edited by MagicBobert

But you weren't anonymous, so I found your opinion regarding consistency to be strangely convenient (in that it favors your corps).

You proved my point. That is why I asked people to stop their preconceived notions of me before I speak.

What are you trying to prove by attacking me?

Edited by hboyce

The consistent winner is more impressive, but at the end of the day, everyone loves the underdog.

This kind of stuff is really starting to irritate me. You're like the little kid poking at a hornets nest wondering how long it will take before the whole thing gets ######.

The whole thing already did get ######, look at the thread from last year about BD's reaction to finals.

Contrary to whatever you might think about ME, I'm actually a huge BD fan, and besides my alma mater they are easily my favorite corps of the past decade. But I'm sorry, I don't care which corps you marched in or root for now, this activity is about where you get to, not where you've been all along. Consistency IS impressive, and I would agree that BD is without a doubt the most consistent corps of the DCI era. But I do NOT like when things are said like "Winning 25-30 shows is more impressive than winning 1, no matter how important it is." To me, that's taking a stab at any corps that might come from behind to beat BD this year.

You can't be the super-bowl champion unless you win the Super Bowl, it doesn't matter how many games you have won leading up to that game! Same should apply to drum corps.

I think it makes it less than interesting when everything is so predictable. I would love to see a corps who has never won actually win, however that is very unlikely. That is the one thing I do not like about this activity, in sports there is a clear winner, in this it comes down to a few opinions or taste. That is why I try to incourage anyone who is a part of drum corps to not focus so much on winning and losing but on the experience itself and on feeling good about your performance. If you do well in scoring that is just icing on the cake.

I like the underdog. When your always on top there is only one way to go!!!!!

The whole thing already did get ######, look at the thread from last year about BD's reaction to finals.

Contrary to whatever you might think about ME, I'm actually a huge BD fan, and besides my alma mater they are easily my favorite corps of the past decade. But I'm sorry, I don't care which corps you marched in or root for now, this activity is about where you get to, not where you've been all along. Consistency IS impressive, and I would agree that BD is without a doubt the most consistent corps of the DCI era. But I do NOT like when things are said like "Winning 25-30 shows is more impressive than winning 1, no matter how important it is." To me, that's taking a stab at any corps that might come from behind to beat BD this year.

I took a concept I believe in (consistency) and applied it to drum corps. You can apply it to anything. I didn't apply it to BD directly. I didn't apply it to any other corps.

For the third time; stop assuming things about me.

The consistent winner is more impressive, but at the end of the day, everyone loves the underdog.

Except for the fans of the consistent winner. Hence my original point. We are fans, with opinions, not just disinterested bystanders. If we were, then I completely agree with you. Everyone would love the underdog.

Except for the fans of the consistent winner. Hence my original point. We are fans, with opinions, not just disinterested bystanders. If we were, then I completely agree with you. Everyone would love the underdog.

Yup, that's assumed. I mean when the Red Sox made that run against the Yankees in 04, most of the country was behind the Red Sox. Except of course New York. Same with the drum corps world, especially last year.