Undefeated or Underdog

I guess I understood the question differently. I understood the context of the question to be within a season.

ie..Is it more impressive for someone to win all the shows in a season, or to only win the last one?

Being an underdog can only really apply for up to one season as a maximum. So if we're taking into account anything of more than that it's not really a good argument.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being an underdog can only really apply for up to one season as a maximum. So if we're taking into account anything of more than that it's not really a good argument.

Exactly! So, why are we talking about stats going back to 1974?

Exactly! So, why are we talking about stats going back to 1974?

Over the course of the existence of the activity, consistent victory/high placement is most impressive.

Over the course of a season, an underdog victory is most impressive.

I think that's true in just about every sport.

I guess I understood the question differently. I understood the context of the question to be within a season.

ie..Is it more impressive for someone to win all the shows in a season, or to only win the last one?

Of course it's impressive if an organization has a history of winning championships....but what are you comparing it to...an organization that hasn't?

I think it's a far more interesting question if you stick to within a season.

In that case, if we're sticking to just one season, than it's no question: the corps that wins in the end, no matter how they win, is the most impressive.

But I think that all depends on which corps/team/athlete you're a fan of

In 2004 Boston Red Sox fans thought it was the greatest feat in the world to be down in the ALCS and go on to win the World Series. Yankees fans thought "who cares: call us when you break 25 total Championships." As a Cleveland and San Diego fan, when one of those teams wins a Championship, it will be the greatest sporting moment of my life; if the Cleveland Cavaliers win next year, in my mind it will be one of the best Championships in the history of sports. But Lakers fans (of which I'm one) will think "what's one year?"

So I guess it depends on who the under dog is, and who the loser is: whichever is 'your' team will make you the happiest and be most impressive.

Over the course of the existence of the activity, consistent victory/high placement is most impressive.

Over the course of a season, an underdog victory is most impressive.

I think that's true in just about every sport.

I agree, though it's also a defense mechanism: a BD fan might look at last year and go "whatever. Phantom beat us by the smallest margin ever, and with another percussion judge we might've still won. They can have their ONE non-shared Championship." Fans of the underdog and/or of Phantom might look at last year and think "true. But we beat you. Period. No matter what happens we came into Finals and stole a Championship, and the crowd, from you. That's all that matters!"

I agree, though it's also a defense mechanism: a BD fan might look at last year and go "whatever. Phantom beat us by the smallest margin ever, and with another percussion judge we might've still won. They can have their ONE non-shared Championship." Fans of the underdog and/or of Phantom might look at last year and think "true. But we beat you. Period. No matter what happens we came into Finals and stole a Championship, and the crowd, from you. That's all that matters!"

True, but I believe what any fan that says what your example BD fan said would just be having "sour grapes".

When does an underdog stop being an underdog and start being considered a contender?

I remember a nobody football team making it to the Super Bowl going up against the BEST football team in the NFL and they had NO CHANCE of winning it. The underdog New England Patriots beat St. Louis by the narrowest of margins......

Then went on to win 2 more Super Bowls and lost another by another "underdog" .....

Most people consider that first season the start of a dynasty now.

I think its comparable to what Cavies did in 2000. Nobody knew that when they unpredictably tied Cadets that year, that it would be the start of one of the greatest runs in the history of DCI. They've had an incredible decade.

I don't think anybody could have predicted BD coming from NOWHERE to 9th, to 3rd, to Championship!

I mean 3 years before BD won a championship they got beat by the ######## AUDUBON BON BON'S!!!!! HOLY CRAP!

Everybody starts out as an underdog, and you never know when you might be witnessing the start of something great. Which is why if DCI ever "CROWNS" a new champion, who knows how many more we might see!

Exactly...each person will change the argument to make there fact better than the other.

I do it all the time with my friends that are Yankees' fans :)

In that case, if we're sticking to just one season, than it's no question: the corps that wins in the end, no matter how they win, is the most impressive.

But I think that all depends on which corps/team/athlete you're a fan of

In 2004 Boston Red Sox fans thought it was the greatest feat in the world to be down in the ALCS and go on to win the World Series. Yankees fans thought "who cares: call us when you break 25 total Championships." As a Cleveland and San Diego fan, when one of those teams wins a Championship, it will be the greatest sporting moment of my life; if the Cleveland Cavaliers win next year, in my mind it will be one of the best Championships in the history of sports. But Lakers fans (of which I'm one) will think "what's one year?"

So I guess it depends on who the under dog is, and who the loser is: whichever is 'your' team will make you the happiest and be most impressive.

From conversations here on DCP......that analogy might not hold true in drum corps. I could be wrong, I wasn't there and don't know any 2008 BD members or active fans (know meaning in real life...not just on DCP)....but that doesn't seem to be their attitude (on DCP) from last year?

I wish it did hold true honestly. I wish that members could walk away from the season basing the value of their summer on everything they've learned, experienced and accomplished instead of the opinions of some folks in green shirts and that fans could appreciate the performances without getting bent out of shape about who was hundredths of a point away from who....but that doesn't happen as much as it could.

So, yeah we're a competitive activity and all....but maybe we should all take pointers from Yankee fans :laughing:

Edited by CuriousMe

Exactly...each person will change the argument to make there fact better than the other.

I do it all the time with my friends that are Yankees' fans :)

And that's how we get off topic! I personally think the topics that 'get off' so to speak, are the more enjoyable ones.