Drum Corps in TIME Mag Online

Time's readership isn't the drum corps public....it's the general public. A noob doesn't know 88 Madison from 92 Glassmen....they put some good, generally representative clips up....even a couple of complete shows!

Give 'em a break.

A reporter would research the history of his subject before releasing an article. Obviously this article was written by someone who didn't do his research completely or does not have a knowledge of the early years of DCI. Again, I complemented on the exposure this article gives DCI or Drum Band International.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time's readership isn't the drum corps public....it's the general public. A noob doesn't know 88 Madison from 92 Glassmen....they put some good, generally representative clips up....even a couple of complete shows!

Give 'em a break.

It does not matter if it the general public or DCI Fans. Accuracy, Fair and balanced reporting are key to proper reporting.

Why?

And I'm not being flip.

I'm not sure how to answer this. Why do I want more people to be drum corps fans? Is that really what you're asking me?

Butts in seats, money at souvie trucks, I guess would be the bottom line. The more fans this activity has, the better off it is. I don't care if the fan is there because they loved 2005 BD and 2007 Cadets or because they loved 1979 Spirit and 1976 BD.

It does not matter if it the general public or DCI Fans. Accuracy, Fair and balanced reporting are key to proper reporting.

Accuracy, fair, and balanced reporting died with Walter Cronkite.

They haven't been seen since sometime in the '70s.

It's still great exposure, imo, for an activity that the majority of folks in this country don't even know exists.

I Just watched the shows from that link... geeeezzus.... phantom regiment last year still gives me chills. My fav out of those gotta be PR 08 & Scouts 95...

This is pretty cool, but the omissions are glaring: no 83/84/87 Garfield, no 95 Cavies, no 06 Cadets. Also, Time couldn't get the appropriate clips directly from DCI and had to resort to the site-that-will-not-be-named (STWNBN)? Really? Call me a conspiracy theorist, but almost seems as if Time relied on what drum corps clips were available on the STWNBN...

Cadets 06, eh?... Did you mean 05?

A reporter would research the history of his subject before releasing an article. Obviously this article was written by someone who didn't do his research completely or does not have a knowledge of the early years of DCI. Again, I complemented on the exposure this article gives DCI or Drum Band International.

Did you just say Drum Band International? Did I miss something?

Anyway, I do agree with you Flip. I think it's funny too, that Time would go on Youtube and break copyright laws. The writer must not a whole lot about our activity, or else it would have been much more well written.

And yes, of course I'm happy about the media coverage! I guess I'm just interested in information being presented accurately, whether it's TIME magazine or Joe Shmo's blog.

Get it drum and bungle band!

I'm not sure how to answer this. Why do I want more people to be drum corps fans? Is that really what you're asking me?

Butts in seats, money at souvie trucks, I guess would be the bottom line. The more fans this activity has, the better off it is. I don't care if the fan is there because they loved 2005 BD and 2007 Cadets or because they loved 1979 Spirit and 1976 BD.

I, for one, feel drum corps has more than enough fans. And butts in seats doth not souvie money make, necessarily. Exposure can be a treacherous thing. I guess I just don't believe the "any publicity is good publicity'theory. But thanks, A) for your opinion, and B) for being the first person in four years to give me a straight answer to a question I've been posing for a long time.