Surprises and Disappointment

Oh, and did they run out of things to talk about at the end? It felt like one big propaganda clip from the City of Indy.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

how are the troopers beating the colts by over a point?

Troop's show is a cohesive production that oozes the concept at every moment. Colts don't give anything new after the ballad. And even with that, Troop only barely won GE.

Troop also won Field Visual, Vis Ensemble, Brass, and Drums.

Troop just executes better.

My biggest surprise was how much I enjoyed Blue Stars. I hadn't seen them yet this year and was concerned with all the talk of so many tables on the field, but they really used them well.

My biggest disappointment was SCV's horn book. I loved the rest of their show, but ALL the moving pieces of the music were in the pit, not just the licks in Simple Gifts, but all the tasty moving parts were in the pit. Very disappointing.

My only serious pet peeve / complaint....who wears championship rings on the outside of their gloves at QUARTERFINALS. I understand the tradition for finals...I guess....but quarters??....SERIOUSLY??? and they wonder why people think they're cocky and care too much about winning.

The Blue Devils do, and have just about as far back as DCI has awarded rings (which started around '80, I think.) It's their hype, their tradition, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

1) BD has a great show! Their transitions from number to number are much better. Don't really get the ending but I have a feeling that'll change for finals.

2) SCV has an amazing show. It's matured so much over the course of the tour. I still don't get the ferocity that Martha Graham embodies from the guard.

3) Everytime I see Crown, I feel like I'm watching another corps. Things seem oddly familiar. Still see a lot of visual dirt. The guard resembling Disney characters still weird me out.

4) HNC - "A boy like that" feels flat after the intro all the way to the big hit. It just kinda coasts. I enjoyed the 1994 version better but this show is still phenomenal. Loved the logos in the end. We were yelling each time they formed one.

5) Cavies - This show's awesome visually and musically. The design team's intentions were really evident. It's seems like it's not going to improve past 4th. I see SCV passing them.

6) Blue Stars were so good. Loved their show.

7) Boston - the guard feels like they are forced to be sexy. Whoever choreographed their movement vocabulary needs to rethink their ideas.

8) Glassmen - I just don't get it. The guard's costume feels a bit Mad Max meets RuPaul.

9) Go Troopers!

I never even thought of that... ties for 2nd AND ties for 12th.... YOWSA!

OMG you said YOWSA! oh the memories of 2005 :smile:

YOWSA, YOWSA, YOWSA - this years show about the first half of the 20th century is going a little better for them it seems.

Great Surprises

1.The Cadets... wow, that is great intensity. While I am not a fan of their program this year, the energy comes through even in the theater. It is absolutely amazing! I think Crown may even place better not going right after the Cadets.

2. Phantom Regiment... they music is so symphonic and has the usual phantom magic in them. I found myself singing to Pagnini on the subway after the show.

3. Boston Crusaders... I think the producers did a fantastic job in showcasing their production. Their percussion sounds really sharp tonight.

4. Blue Devils.... okay, we all knew that BD would take away the win tonight but no body in the theater is thinking of that margin.... great job, BD

Great Disappointment

1. Santa Clara Vanguard.... I am a Vanguard fan and I am glad that they placed really good tonight and is on the hunt for the medal. But I am disappointed in the drum performance tonight.

2. The Cavaliers... in my theater, people were cheering after their score was announced. I think Cavies is in trouble. Can't see them medal this year.

3. The Bluecoats.... the ending still felt flat and guard works was sloppy tonight. No doubt that would do a better job and close that gap with SCV.

4. The Colts... I am just disappointed at the spread between the Colts and the Troopers.

cavaliers were cheered for losing because those cheering probably don't know quality of sound if it hit them in the face.

Was surprised to see myself on the screen! Go 1979 Blue Stars!

I was blown away by that clip, and how the tymp players carried plates too strapped to their hips-- talk about tough! :smile:

cavaliers were cheered for losing because those cheering probably don't know quality of sound if it hit them in the face.

I wasn't in your theater but I would be willing to bet money that they were cheering for Crown beating them rather than Cavaliers losing. I really don't hear too much animosity directed toward Cavies. This is actually surprising given human nature and their recent successes. You probably don't want to get into a quality of sound argument with Crown this year. They will win.

OMG you said YOWSA! oh the memories of 2005 :smile:

YOWSA, YOWSA, YOWSA - this years show about the first half of the 20th century is going a little better for them it seems.

I had YOWSA flashback when the clip of Sprit had the vocal in it.