So let me get this straight...BD scored a 19.8 in drums tonight

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause they were dirty as **** from where I was!

SCV number is low....Cavies had the cleanest battery night.

MIKE

No I have not forgotten the pit. Hence the reason I would have had Cavies up. BD also had the perfect storm of Dynasty and Evans.

MIKE

It's all relative, and you can't reasonably compare scores from year to year, or even night to night. It's easy for a judge to evaluate things by the given criteria and then find himself in a hole and thus, gives very high scores. Likewise, it can be the case that a judge overly prepares for such a scenario and gives lower scores throughout. I can assure you that judges are firstly concerned with providing an appropriate placement and order for each group. This is also primarily determined by the specific criteria of the sheets that are provided to them as a reference for their critique. Beyond that, when a number of groups meet a criteria that affords them a certain score (via the sheets), it make the successive scores rise by default, as there is no place left to go in order to accurately place each group.

In personal experience, I can tell you that, as a member of Star of Indiana....we actually scored higher in drums in '92 than we did in '93......however, (although '92 was great, we really didn't have a good show at finals) I doubt anyone would dispute that '93 was superior to '92.

ALL Hail 93!

Give my best to Clark!

It's all relative, and you can't reasonably compare scores from year to year, or even night to night. It's easy for a judge to evaluate things by the given criteria and then find himself in a hole and thus, gives very high scores. Likewise, it can be the case that a judge overly prepares for such a scenario and gives lower scores throughout. I can assure you that judges are firstly concerned with providing an appropriate placement and order for each group. This is also primarily determined by the specific criteria of the sheets that are provided to them as a reference for their critique. Beyond that, when a number of groups meet a criteria that affords them a certain score (via the sheets), it make the successive scores rise by default, as there is no place left to go in order to accurately place each group.

In personal experience, I can tell you that, as a member of Star of Indiana....we actually scored higher in drums in '92 than we did in '93......however, (although '92 was great, we really didn't have a good show at finals) I doubt anyone would dispute that '93 was superior to '92.

Thanks for the reply. It does make sense that a lot of times, a judge would place himself in a hole like that, it kinda sucks. But what I'm trying to say is, in my opinion, Blue Devils percussion section isn't .2 away from perfection.

Especially when something like Phantom 08 was .2 away from perfection last year.

It's just frustrating to see =]

But what I'm trying to say is, in my opinion, Blue Devils percussion section isn't .2 away from perfection.

It's got little to do with being .2 away from perfection and more to do with the fact that the scores below them were high so that's where the spreads put them. The Blue Devils have gotten a 20.0 in brass before (wasn't even finals) but that hardly means their performance was perfect. It means the judges didn't manage their numbers carefully and ended up with nowhere to go.

Numbers management....Steve has been around