Is there any point for drums and bugles anymore?

I think you are more than welcome to enjoy whatever shows you want and have fun at it! The American way. But let me ask--if you went to the opera (and dropped $250 on tickets) to watch Joan Sutherland do Madame Butterfly--and the Blue Devils showed up blaring some sad-### warmed over Chuck Mangione arrangement on the stage next to the opera performers, would you consider it opera? Would you even consider going? Some might, but the patrons and benefactors of opera would cut it to ribbons. That's what's happening here with DCI. How many people would stop going to shows if DC decided to drop dancing and smiling and electronics? Would you stop going? Or would more people go?

ummm. DCI hasn't been hiding this under any bushel basket.

You don't like it, move on. I'm ok as a current fan of drum corps with your decision.

And I think DCI is as well. An entity cannot succeed by being all things to all people. You have alternatives to DCI. Don't try to force your will on them.

You have made a decision. You don't like it. Noted. We thank you for your comments. The Management.

What else do you expect...DCI Board of Directors telling all corps to melt their Bb and immediately order G horns?

What is it you want besides a way back machine? Because there are more than a few of us that are extremely tired of the one note some folks continue to play.

It ain't changing because DCI is not and has never been a democracy.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it you want besides a way back machine? Because there are more than a few of us that are extremely tired of the one note some folks continue to play.

So you don't see it as DCI ignoring their core audience? Or are all these people complaining part of a vast right-wing conspiracy?

You know what I thought was disgusting about last night's Quarterfinals performance? I was watching 3 different corps, and the contrabass sound was just overwhelming.....then I noticed the contrabasses, tubas, whatever you want to call them, WERE SITTING ON THE GROUND while the players relaxed, danced, played with props, etc. I honestly could not decipher the sound of the tubas against the synthesizers. When I marched drum corps, I had to hyperventilate to help my contra section fill a stadium with sound, and we did! Now the corps have grown so large that they march 16 tubas!!!!! So, why is it that with each tuba costing, lets say, $5000 each...thats $80,000 worth of tubas, does a $1000 synthesizer make more sound, and have more featured moments than the tubas....or the rest of the hornline for that matter?

I can honestly say that I WAS NOT ENTERTAINED by any group last night. The music was so abstract, so overwhelming with chaos and maniacal madness that the actual concepts were only enjoyed by the overpaid design teams, sipping Starbucks on the front sideline as their students ran around making fools of themselves. Santa Clara Vanguard was the only corps that had a legitimate performance, in my opinion. But, the music they played was about as burnt out as Stars and Stripes Forever at a 4th of July parade, and the whole "restraint" system they were displaying was only restraining my enjoyment of their countless hours of hard work. Then they do a huge push at the end....ok? Sooooo, what about the rest of the show?

I was disappointed by the switch to Bb horns. I was disappointed by the expansion to 150 people. I was saddened by the addition of electronics, amplification, and synthesizers. But what sealed the nail in the coffin for me being proud of modern drum corps is all of these concepts, coming together to create something blasphemous...a frankenstein of every idea someone thought would be nice for drum corps to have, but couldnt because of imposed restrictions at the time. I can't say that I will walk away from drum corps forever, because I am an avid supporter of senior corps, and local upstarts geared towards helping disadvantaged youth in their communities. But, I can honestly say that my time, money, and energy for mainstream junior drum and bugle corps will be diverted elsewhere from now on.

I know that your topic title is facetious, because it's obviously absurd to think that DCI does not need brass instruments anymore (haven't been actual 'bugles' in a LONG time). Synths & Electronics have been in DCI in some way since 1985 when BAC used a synth for Axel F (and received HUGE ovations, from what I understand). It's taken the rest of DCI until this year to catch up to them, I guess :smile:

You don't like it, move on. I'm ok as a current fan of drum corps with your decision.

And I think DCI is as well. An entity cannot succeed by being all things to all people. You have alternatives to DCI. Don't try to force your will on them.

You have made a decision. You don't like it. Noted. We thank you for your comments. The Management.

What else do you expect...DCI Board of Directors telling all corps to melt their Bb and immediately order G horns?

It ain't changing because DCI is not and has never been a democracy.

No, it's not changing becasue DCI IS and always has been a democracy ... Except the electorate is comprised of corps directors. The public is just here to foot the bills.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

I for one can say I have ZERO interest in drum corps of the 70's and early 80's...and it's not just because I would have had to carry my instrument. The shows were flat, stale, and too structured. No art, no subtlety, no expression, no pageantry, just loud horns and symmetrical drill. One big snoozefest IMHO. If drum corps were like this nowadays I never would have gotten involved.

:smile:

So you don't see it as DCI ignoring their core audience? Or are all these people complaining part of a vast right-wing conspiracy?

I see it as DCI ignoring a part of the audience, and responding to another part of their audience AND it's membership.

I for one can say I have ZERO interest in drum corps of the 70's and early 80's...and it's not just because I would have had to carry my instrument. The shows were flat, stale, and too structured. No art, no subtlety, no expression, no pageantry, just loud horns and symmetrical drill. One big snoozefest IMHO. If drum corps were like this nowadays I never would have gotten involved.

Well, I'll disagree on just about every part of that statement ... and, as far as I'm concerned, the word pageantry is anathema to drum corps and should be considered a 4-lettered word for something that falls within the purview of marching bands.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

You don't like it, move on.

Yay - and there it is....again.. I wish I had $1 for everytime I read that line over the years. I have one - If you don't like it, nobody's making you read it.

This get us nowhere, of course. Make an argument, that's great. But the "neener neener neener" stuff doesn't take this discourse anywhere but into the gutter.