It's not raining so why is the roof closed at Lucas Oil Stadium?

Those pesky flies...

It's not raining so why is the roof closed at Lucas Oil Stadium?

Because it's an indoor facility with a moonroof, not a true indoor/outdoor stadium. No drainage system means that they can't afford to have any rain hit the field, so they won't take a chance of getting caught by a fast moving storm system.

Edited by mobrien

Because it's an indoor facility with a moonroof, not a true indoor/outdoor stadium. No drainage system means that they can't afford to have any rain hit the field, so they won't take a chance of getting caught by a fast moving storm system.

Then why in the heck did they spend the money on a roof like that if they're not going to open it? There's always the chance of some random fast-moving storm... so I guess that means the roof will never be opened.

The no drainage system thing just sounds like bad planning, or else they were trying to cut corners.

As for the curtains ... I suspect that without the curtains there for damping, the reverb in that sardine can would probably be intolerable with an empty backfield.

The no drainage system thing just sounds like bad planning, or else they were trying to cut corners.

As for the curtains ... I suspect that without the curtains there for damping, the reverb in that sardine can would probably be intolerable with an empty backfield.

Yes and yes. The cost of adding a drainage system would have been about $500k, which wasn't a lot of extra money in the grand scheme of things. BUT from Indy's standpoint, they were looking at the facility primarily as a convention/concert venue in addition to the Colts games, all events for which an open air setting is either a non-factor or downright undesirable.

I kinda wonder if they led DCI down the garden path re: the roof, because I recall DCI talking about the venue as being an open air stadium that could be closed up if necessary - and now we're hearing "well, it's gonna be closed all week just in case."

Edited by mobrien

They said yesterday on the broadcast that the big black curtain in the back would be blowing around and for fan comfort.

In my opinion, if opening the roof is going to make it sound better (from the reports I read), lose the black curtain and open the #### roof.

i did kind of laugh when the black curtain in the back was used as an excuse for keeping the roof closed.

they also said that they want to keep the scoring and sound as consistent as possible, so since they chose to keep the roof closed last night it would be unfair to change the sound settings from night to night by opening the roof for one of the performance days and not the others

i did kind of laugh when the black curtain in the back was used as an excuse for keeping the roof closed.

I hate the Black Curtain of Doom. In our broadcast viewing it absorbed all light and color whenever it was in the shot. Prediction: look for a dramatic increase in the number of corps with white pants/lighter uniforms in the very near future. People with too much black on were nearly invisible.

Even the CAVALIERS flags looked dark, and they are bright and full of vibrant color.