Point Jumps

I've never really paid attention to the numbers, other than "this is what we got tonight, ok". But BD jumped .45 from quarters, and crowned jumped 1.45 from quarters. If this repeats itself tonight, Crown wins.

It seems that everyone is pretty sure that BD is gonna take it all, though. Do I think DCI will allow what happened to BD last year to happen again this year? Highly doubt it. But just as far as numbers go (because like I said, I'm not well versed in that area), is it really such a longshot?

(just want to mention that I have absolutely no bias or preference between those two corps. I'm still rooting for the green machine!)

*edited for grammar*

Edited by tizzizzailslf04

for DCI to not allow Crown to win would involve a conspiracy between DCI executive staff and the judges. Do you really have that little faith in the legitimacy of the activity that you think this would happen? This isn't a Mexican wrestling competition, well, except for Madison.

The thing to remember is that score jumps inherently slow down the higher you get. They have to, because you can't go over 100.0. You start putting in the same amount of work for less and less payoff (point-wise). So, Crown jumping 1.45 and BD jumping 0.45? Not really all that unexpected. Crown may even jump more than BD tonight, but they would have to work twice as hard today to get another 1.45 point bump.

for DCI to not allow Crown to win would involve a conspiracy between DCI executive staff and the judges. Do you really have that little faith in the legitimacy of the activity that you think this would happen? This isn't a Mexican wrestling competition, well, except for Madison.

Not so much "not allowing Crown to win", but not allowing BD to lose the way they did year.

But in this case, I'm just talking numbers.

The thing to remember is that score jumps inherently slow down the higher you get. They have to, because you can't go over 100.0. You start putting in the same amount of work for less and less payoff (point-wise). So, Crown jumping 1.45 and BD jumping 0.45? Not really all that unexpected. Crown may even jump more than BD tonight, but they would have to work twice as hard today to get another 1.45 point bump.

Makes sense

I've never really paid attention to the numbers, other than "this is what we got tonight, ok". But BD jumped .45 from quarters, and crowned jumped 1.45 from quarters. If this repeats itself tonight, Crown wins.

It seems that everyone is pretty sure that BD is gonna take it all, though. Do I think DCI will allow what happened to BD last year to happen again this year? Highly doubt it. But just as far as numbers go (because like I said, I'm not well versed in that area), is it really such a longshot?

(just want to mention that I have absolutely no bias or preference between those two corps. I'm still rooting for the green machine!)

*edited for grammar*

Vanguard has a long trail of second places, anything can happen.

Who would have thought that "DCI" would do to the Devils in 95 what they did to them in 88 ??

Anything can happen, I feel that BD is too strong and Crown has to watch behind them before moving forward, but anything can happen

Geoffrey

Plus, as I said in another thread, look at the semifinal caption ranks, tizzi. That's been the key to the Blue Devils undefeated season so far and very likely their victory tonight, unless they have a very uncharacteristically bad show.

Who was first in most all captions after semifinals? Blue Devils. Nearly all the shows they've been in this year: Blue Devils. When BD misses, they miss close, finishing 2nd in a caption (or 3rd in one caption last night.) If you don't beat them in a bunch of captions and stay close (not 5th like Crown has been in one key caption) in the others, it doesn't matter whether you're closing the gap and second by a tenth or two in most every caption. You will lose and it will not be close.

Remember that GE is critical because of the way captions get weighted. BD has been in control of GE judges' hearts this year. The total package and their seeming effortlessness has been key to that.

An upset is not impossible, but it's very unlikely.

Edited by Peel Paint

Plus, as I said in another thread, look at the semifinal caption ranks, tizzi. That's been the key to the Blue Devils undefeated season so far and very likely their victory tonight, unless they have a very uncharacteristically bad show.

Who was first in most all captions after semifinals? Blue Devils. Nearly all the shows they've been in this year: Blue Devils. When BD misses, they miss close, finishing 2nd in a caption (or 3rd in one caption last night.) If you don't beat them in a bunch of captions and stay close (not 5th like Crown has been in one key caption) in the others, it doesn't matter whether you're closing the gap and second by a tenth or two in most every caption. You will lose and it will not be close.

Remember that GE is critical because of the way captions get weighted. BD has been in control of GE judges' hearts this year. The total package and their seeming effortlessness has been key to that.

An upset is not impossible, but it's very unlikely.

agreed. Almost like 2002 Cavaliers, in regards to caption management. As "close" as it seems, in reality, it just might not be so.

Geoffrey

Anything can happen, I feel that BD is too strong and Crown has to watch behind them before moving forward, but anything can happen

This is absolutely true!!!!!!! I think people need to stop justifying why they wont win tonight and just hope they can remain in second. Im tellin you HNC/Cavies/SCV aren't goin down without a fight. And with a different panel of judges tonight (usually tougher) 2nd place is up for grabs

Crown can't worry about what BD will do or any of the corps behind them will do. All they can control is how they perform their show in front of all those people tonight. I know they will give the performance that will be remembered for a VERY long time.

After that....the numbers are out of their hands. I think they will have the crowd tonight as soon as they step foot into the stadium.