Who's going World

Patriot you don't have to be so harsh there. I almost completely agree with oldschool on this point. I liked Teal before this season as far as shows go but thats just because I am not a fan of narration and electronics. But I am just a youngin' and ignorant and probably not know what I am talking about.

Teal in my opinion is just playing the game following the path that drum corps in general is taking. Slowly getting absorbed into BOA esq form of entertainment which many people are not minding in the least bit.

Just my two cents

I don't think I was necessarily being harsh; one thing I just really hate about this board is the people who automatically hate a show because it uses electronics, or focuses more on the visual aspect than the music, or because it doesn't have symmetric drill, or whatever. If you don't like it, don't watch it. No need to take a holier-than-thou approach to it and feel the need to rip it apart on a public forum... what exactly does that accomplish, anyway? And FWIW I don't really like electronics or narration either -- but regardless of what I think about corps adding them, Teal put on a heck of a show and I salute them for that.

But regardless, we are getting way off topic here. I would love to see Teal in World Class next year; they're a class organization and I think they'd be a quality World Class corps. DCI needs to reward more corps that are taking steps forward (Teal, Academy, Surf) and do more to prevent corps from taking decidedly bigger steps backwards (Magic, Spartans). As long as Teal's finances are in order (which, from this outsider's perspective, it looks like they are), they deserve to be able to make the jump.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your opinion. I'm so glad DCP has posters like you to tell us what is right and wrong in the drum corps world today. For the record, I saw Teal a few times this season and absolutely loved them. They weren't as old-school-magical as an SCV or Holy Name, but they were a lot of fun and definitely got the crowd excited and were tons of fun. But you certainly have a right to your opinion. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Yes, their show was "fun". So was riding the ferris wheel, at the Hamilton County Fair, back in 1973, when I was only 8 years old.

Just because something is "fun" does not mean it should be permitted at a drum corps show. This activity is guided by rules, and those rules need to be obeyed properly - and set properly.

If the rules are not set properly, then you end up with the equivalent of the designated hitter rule in baseball. That rule is destroying traditional baseball in the American League. That has turned baseball in that league into a glorified home-run contest. I would rather watch an NL game anyday.

Today, the rules are far too lose and permissive. This was done to promote "innovation". And innovation can be a good thing. I fully admit that.

But instead of innovation, we simply have incorporation. There is really a big difference. Rather than create new forms of marching music, many DBC show designers are simply borrowing ideas from marching band, winter guard, and other sources. They are incorporating things that have already been done in other mediums - and that is not fun.

What I saw in that Teal show was not innovative. Guitars in a drum corps? Sorry, I know of marching bands that have been doing that for decades.

Now, you mentioned SCV. Think back to the legendary bottle dance show from 1978. That was both innovative, fun - and inspiring.

To a random look at how drum corps has come Teal just seems to be following a trend that has been set by the big boys in the past.

This activity has changed from what it was way back in the day. As much as it pains me to say this but it will never go back to how it used to be. Its slowly gonna get changed from what we know to be DCI and Teal is just jumping on the ship early on and in a way carve their own path and make a name for themselves which there are very few corps today which still have that.

Any teal person gets on and corrects me I wouldn't mind in the least bit. This is just my observation of what has been happening in the activity.

Yes, their show was "fun". So was riding the ferris wheel, at the Hamilton County Fair, back in 1973, when I was only 8 years old.

Just because something is "fun" does not mean it should be permitted at a drum corps show. This activity is guided by rules, and those rules need to be obeyed properly - and set properly.

If the rules are not set properly, then you end up with the equivalent of the designated hitter rule in baseball. That rule is destroying traditional baseball in the American League. That has turned baseball in that league into a glorified home-run contest. I would rather watch an NL game anyday.

Today, the rules are far too lose and permissive. This was done to promote "innovation". And innovation can be a good thing. I fully admit that.

But instead of innovation, we simply have incorporation. There is really a big difference. Rather than create new forms of marching music, many DBC show designers are simply borrowing ideas from marching band, winter guard, and other sources. They are incorporating things that have already been done in other mediums - and that is not fun.

What I saw in that Teal show was not innovative. Guitars in a drum corps? Sorry, I know of marching bands that have been doing that for decades.

Now, you mentioned SCV. Think back to the legendary bottle dance show from 1978. That was both innovative, fun - and inspiring.

Thanks for the lecture... but I can't recall ever saying anything about Teal being innovative instead of just incorporating. I just said they had a fun show, which, like that incredible ferris wheel experience, can touch a whole lot of people and make them enjoy the show, and would probably make a lot more people want to march Teal than this year's Blue Devils, which were innovative (love those $1 words), but really rather boring, to be honest.

Some corps try to be innovative, some corps try to be fun. I don't know the staff at Teal, but I guarantee you they didn't care nearly as much about their place in the annuals of drum corps history as they were about getting their name out as a fun, exciting corps that gets people off their feet and clapping as opposed to being just another corps that puts on a piece of holy art and allows people to admire and golf-clap at it.

Edited by Patriot

I can't wait for VK to go World Class. They probably are not ready yet but you wold think kids would be beating down their doors to join up if they went to world class.

Thanks for the lecture... but I can't recall ever saying anything about Teal being innovative instead of just incorporating. I just said they had a fun show, which, like that incredible ferris wheel experience, can touch a whole lot of people and make them enjoy the show, and would probably make a lot more people want to march Teal than this year's Blue Devils, which were innovative (love those $1 words), but really rather boring, to be honest.

Some corps try to be innovative, some corps try to be fun. I don't know the staff at Teal, but I guarantee you they didn't care nearly as much about their place in the annuals of drum corps history as they were about getting their name out as a fun, exciting corps that gets people off their feet and clapping as opposed to being just another corps that puts on a piece of holy art and allows people to admire and golf-clap at it.

I agree with this statement completely and can back it up. I went to OC finals and I couldn't tell you who did what show or what it was even about except for Teal Sounds. I remember how much I enjoyed it, electronics or not. I remember being bored out of my mind with some of the shows and I felt as though their show was a bit of refreshing energy. Sure, it's not traditional (god forbid!), but it's something I'd watch again and it's something I'll remember.

Patriot,

Why bring your Blue Devils hate/envy into this thread? Totally unnecessary. It gets quite tedious to read that crap in the world thread, and should not have any place in an open class thread discussing whether teal or any other core is going to world.

Patriot,

Why bring your Blue Devils hate/envy into this thread? Totally unnecessary. It gets quite tedious to read that crap in the world thread, and should not have any place in an open class thread discussing whether teal or any other core is going to world.

It was just an example, and not really "hate" anyway... just wasn't my cup o' tea. Considering the Teal hate already in this thread, I thought a little counter example would be appropriate. Apologies if I offended anyone, wasn't my intent.

Never saw the show this year, but from what I remember, Teal has always been the "rock band" of division 2/3 (open class). From what people are describing, the show this year seems to fit their image fine. If they move up to World Class, then Open Class will lose a unique identity and a great organization. If not, then World Class doesn't know what they're missing.

Either way, I say GO TEAL!!