DCI v. BOA (WGI, et all)

DCI vs BOA? Um...there's a difference?

DCI shouldn't take too much consideration into other activities in order to "model" themselves toward. DCI is and will always be the best of the marching circuits. If anything, WGI and BOA should be copying DCI! Not the other way around. If you're going to say you're the best of the best...then act like the best of the best!

DCI vs BOA? Um...there's a difference?

There should be, and the line is thinning.

What was once cool, bad-###, beautiful, and artistic, is now seen as just another marching band thing by those outside of our activity.

Drum corps was viewed as "just another marching band thing by those outside of our activity" back when I marched/taught/judged in the 60's and 70's.

Drum corps was viewed as "just another marching band thing by those outside of our activity" back when I marched/taught/judged in the 60's and 70's.

True. Yet, and this may seem contradictory, the self-innovation of DCI's forerunners in choreography and musical presentation in the 70s and 80s, coupled with the military traditions of drum corps, makes those outside the activity take another look. Few have ever seen the bands that have followed in the footsteps of modern drum corps, "corps-style" (bs title if there ever was one) bands. With drum corps the precision is still there, and the excellence is even better...

Drum corps is still drum corps in execution, but the soul of the corps themselves (the traditions of them, the uniqueness) has seemed to die-out.

Now, the 90s were my favorite DC era. I saw a perfect balance of tradition and innovation. Yet, I think the DCI directors are missing the point here. Drum Corps is, and if you want to make the argument that it is more and more like an artform, this applies to an even greater degree, an ensemble consisting of brass, percussion, and a group of dancers/actors. Great. Now, how about adding in Woodwinds... ok. So, what is the genre?

A brass ensemble is a brass ensemble.

A wind ensemble is a wind ensemble.

A drum & bugle corps is a d&bc.

A fife & drum corps is a fife & drum.

How would a University of Wisconsin professor feel if I said I wanted to play bassoon in a jazz band? How about some interpretive dance during Crown Imperial?

NO!!!

It is not, to a cultured and certain degree, acceptable in the orchestra, choral, and band world to do such things, and neither should it be for drum corps.

Innovation is a great thing. Hogwash that is called innovation and spattered all over the field is bs. George Zingali would be turning over in his grave if he saw how many drum corps shows' mystique and emotional power have been ruined by misuse of things which take away from the group and give to the individual- the use of synths to cover brass impact points, the use of solo amplified narration to destroy the creativity of the individuals acting as a group- these things defile corps because they take away from the kids.

The kids work hard all Summer and they deserve it, #### it!

They deserve not to be brought out onto the field like some ###### dance party effects and Miley Cirus and the Jonus Brothers singing Disney lyrics over a PA system.

Drum Corps is the art of the many individuals working collectively to create images of emotion value, musically and visually. Its genre is brass and percussion, with choreographed dance. It utilizes military precision and virtues, while using stagework to create a mood.

This is Drum Corps as an artform.

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade