DCI v. BOA (WGI, et all)

Let's put aside fanhood for a moment to take a non-biased look at the problems between DCI assimilating aspects of programming from WGI and BOA.

An argument for the copying of BOA or WGI-like methods of show style, retreat, etc. has been on the number of people who attend shows. A decade ago, when the number of corps fans were starting to decline and DCI was running down the path of financial ruin, DCI began to ponder how to prevent its own demise. And, like Lord Voldemort, has broken its soul into multiple pieces as a result of its own fear of death. What was once cool, bad-###, beautiful, and artistic, is now seen as just another marching band thing by those outside of our activity.

There is a reason for this, which is, marching band is not popular. Yes, there are a lot of bands out there, but it is a poisoned product. Of course drum corps will appeal to band kids, I was one of them, a woodwind player that learned a brass instrument, but dc always has since DCI's inception appealed to that audience. But, making drum corps look closer or even become an independent band association will not solve your problems and the national viewpoint that band is full of big braced, 4 eyed geeks. The issue with your product is not the product quality, but the marketing behind it.

Take a look at Blast! That production was very much drum corps. It attracted a large following, an audience largely not affiliated with drum corps or band, and won a tony award. Its success was not only dependent on entertainment value, finance, and performance quality, but also on its high level marketing and promotion of tour.

When you take an outdoor event and stick it in the Warehouse Dome because you thought it might attract a BOA-like audience, you were wrong. Unlike BOA, the primary audience is not band parents, but fans of the activity of drum corps. Those band parents are there to see their kids perform, not to look at the drill, see the visuals and listen to the sounds of the hornline and battery. Drum corps fans love the art, watch it in their spare time. It is their sport, their superbowl and world series. So, when a product's quality is hampered by the choice of venues by horrible reverb, it will mean a problem for audience attendance in the future, a sense that you do not listen, and loss of revenue.

I can not say I feel bad for you. I will say that I hope someday that DCI has gone the way of the dinosaur and a better circuit which cares about drum corps, its fans, and the impact of its decisions will replace you.

I'll buy most of that, but I don't think DCI ever thought it would draw better from the BOA audience -- That audience is not sitting in Indy waiting to go to a marching show -- they are parents/family/friends of all the BOA kids and most probably have never heard of drum corps. Really.

Indy was/is on a mission to become the center of the pageantry arts. The tourism people there are all over that. You LNOW sweet deals were made to BOA and DCI to move their offices there and commit, long term, to the stadium. Mr. DCI executive director was spending "most" of his time every year working on the negotiations for the next venue. A huge amount of staff resources (Ed told me all about this) went into securing the next venue.

So, from DCI's point of view, life is SOOOO much easier if you know, for the next "n" years where you will be and who you can rely on as vendors and contacts. You don't re-invent the wheel every year.

Just trying to negotiate a better price for DeKalb in 2005 - where DCM had been for many years - was a pain in the ###. I can't imagine doing DCI championships.

That said, I think the Lucas Oil stadium was a bad idea. I can't imagine committing the future of DCI to an un-built stadium (which bit them last year and they had to move to the university) and not knowing for sure the acoustics.

When it was announced, the pitch was that the stadium was being designed with thought to using it for music (marching) events. Right.

Edited by dannyboy

What was once cool, bad-###, beautiful, and artistic, is now seen as just another marching band thing by those outside of our activity.

How many people "outside the activity" do you think ever really knew the difference?

When you take an outdoor event and stick it in the Warehouse Dome because you thought it might attract a BOA-like audience, you were wrong.

Where do you get the idea that the move to the dome was to attract a BOA audience?

How many people "outside the activity" do you think ever really knew the difference?

Where do you get the idea that the move to the dome was to attract a BOA audience?

because everything they do is marketed towards the band kids in their own words.

great job OP

There is a reason for this, which is, marching band is not popular. Yes, there are a lot of bands out there, but it is a poisoned product. Of course drum corps will appeal to band kids, I was one of them, a woodwind player that learned a brass instrument, but dc always has since DCI's inception appealed to that audience. But, making drum corps look closer or even become an independent band association will not solve your problems and the national viewpoint that band is full of big braced, 4 eyed geeks. The issue with your product is not the product quality, but the marketing behind it.

Take a look at Blast! That production was very much drum corps. It attracted a large following, an audience largely not affiliated with drum corps or band, and won a tony award. Its success was not only dependent on entertainment value, finance, and performance quality, but also on its high level marketing and promotion of tour.

When you take an outdoor event and stick it in the Warehouse Dome because you thought it might attract a BOA-like audience, you were wrong. Unlike BOA, the primary audience is not band parents, but fans of the activity of drum corps. Those band parents are there to see their kids perform, not to look at the drill, see the visuals and listen to the sounds of the hornline and battery. Drum corps fans love the art, watch it in their spare time. It is their sport, their superbowl and world series. So, when a product's quality is hampered by the choice of venues by horrible reverb, it will mean a problem for audience attendance in the future, a sense that you do not listen, and loss of revenue.

I can not say I feel bad for you. I will say that I hope someday that DCI has gone the way of the dinosaur and a better circuit which cares about drum corps, its fans, and the impact of its decisions will replace you.

You sure make a lot of broad statements about what people think. Where did you get this information? A marketing survey? How do you know what the composition of the audience of Blast was?

I hated the venue too but I don't believe I'm qualified to tell DCI what drove their decisions. Perhaps we can hope that they do listen to the feedback before hoping they'll be replaced by a new, yet much wiser organization more in touch with its own activity and fans.

:ph34r::rock::tongue:

The attempts to market to the BOA crowd are pretty transparent. But I've always wondered where DCI got the idea that band kids expect drum corps to be like band. Have they ever conducted anything like focus groups or surveys to prove this? Because I think most would be surprised at the results. The Cadets, the corps that has tried hardest to assimilate elements from BOA, and the Blue Devils, who have tried hardest to assimilate elements from WGI, are much less popular than corps like Phantom, the Cavies, and Crown, who (with a few notable exceptions) seem happy to keep themselves within the confines of the activity.

Band kids can be annoying, but they're a lot smarter than we give them credit for. They know that drum corps isn't band, and most don't expect it to be band.

Edited by Rifuarian

I hated the venue too but I don't believe I'm qualified to tell DCI what drove their decisions. Perhaps we can hope that they do listen to the feedback.

Problem is....they won't listen to the feedback......and what does it matter now anyway? Like it or not....they are contractually obligated for many, many years ahead.

What DCI should have done is have a regional show at Lucas Oil stadium first.......run a survey to collect some feedback (Including an online fan survey) and then if all checks out....maybe consider making a long term commitment.

Why on earth DCI would sign a long term contract to hold their "Biggest show of the season" in a stadium that is brand new to drum corps I will never no. Maybe the folks of Indy drugged the DCI powers at be before the contract was discussed and signed.

My thoughts on the stadium (I sat in section 140 and 139 in the 14th row). The sound of the field drums was muffled and not good. Concessions area is really nice. Space in the aisle and lighting is great But....any sound issues at all.....that is a HUGE element for our activity...and it is obvious that many don't like how drum corps sounds in Lucas Oil Stadium.