2010 Auditions

They'd probably just see oh he's marched before so he's more acclimated to the process. it doesn't guarantee anything.
When my kid first tried out for a top 12 corps a few years ago, she was told that she wasn't quite ready.

I'd like to refute both of these. The corps (plural)I tried out for in 2008/2009, the biggest thing they were looking for was experience. Anywhere I went, I'd be much more attractive to them if I had just marched somewhere. Maybe it's not that way for hornlines, but for pits, from my experience, it's a huge help. It doesn't guarantee anything, sure, but it helps a LOT. I have seen personally and heard multiple times of people with perhaps not the best ability to learn, or not even very easy to work with (or remarkably young people) getting high mallet spots due to having marched somewhere (even OC or DCA). (sorry that last sentence was a grammar CF. I'm tired.)

Then again, I also know a young rookie who made a BD marimba spot, due to being very exceptional.

It works both ways, obviously.

Edited by Stryfe

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to refute both of these. The corps (plural)I tried out for in 2008/2009, the biggest thing they were looking for was experience. Anywhere I went, I'd be much more attractive to them if I had just marched somewhere. Maybe it's not that way for hornlines, but for pits, from my experience, it's a huge help. It doesn't guarantee anything, sure, but it helps a LOT. I have seen personally and heard multiple times of people with perhaps not the best ability to learn, or not even very easy to work with (or remarkably young people) getting high mallet spots due to having marched somewhere (even OC or DCA). (sorry that last sentence was a grammar CF. I'm tired.)

Then again, I also know a young rookie who made a BD marimba spot, due to being very exceptional.

That's what I was wondering if DCA "counted." Our visual tech at my corps was a cavaliers visual tech and says it does but he was there 13+ years ago.

That's what I was wondering if DCA "counted." Our visual tech at my corps was a cavaliers visual tech and says it does but he was there 13+ years ago.

It probably will. But I can only speak for what pits expect.

I guess that makes sense. . . How do they know your experience though? It's not like I could blurt it out in the middle of a rep or anything. . .

They will ask (or it will be on the application/resume or whatever paper they track auditionees on). I would think prior WC experience will count for something. You survived a season of rehearsing/touring/competing. As long as you are good, it will just be a matter of finding the best fit/opportunity.

I have been lurking around these forums for a while and finally thought I would throw my two cents in so to speak.

From my own personal experience I would offer that 75% of making a corps is playing the game of attrition. I remember that when it came time for final cuts in my rookie season, it came down to those who attended camps with a good attitude and were willing to learn and work hard. When we started drill rehearsals I got my spot because we were short horns and never had to give it up. I was in because I was there when they needed a body. Turns out I got to keep that spot for several more years. I would offer that you need to be there at every camp, and know exactly what the staff wants you to know on time with bells on.

Good luck with your auditions and I will gaurantee you will not regret marching one minute of your life!