BD's victory

I have a thought, well rather a question .. this being my first year involved in drum corps ...

Can someone tell me how long AFTER finals threads like this continue?

All praise the convenience of Wikipedia.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

FINALLY a post I can enjoy! I didn't know what to expect when I clicked on the link .. well put!

BTW .. I'm assuming you are the same person that was posting the blog on DCI.org for finals. Well written!!

:doh:

Until the judging community actually adds a "degreee of difficulty" factor, the corps that execute their program, easy or difficult, the best will get the highest scores.

I see .. so then with this thinking a "more difficult" show that just looks bad would/should score higher then a show that is "less difficult" but clean as could possibly be?

The Blue Devils were an incredible drum corps this year, no one can deny that. But, I propose that they were far likelier to win finals week simply because of the gap they had created throughout the season to Crown and Cadets. I personally do not believe that their show provided them with the means of excelling as far as they did. The problem is that many judges are afraid to make a move. Judges have lost their jobs for dropping a corps a significant amount from night to night. So for example, if the Blue Devils suddenly dropped to third place semifinals night because the GE judges decided to make a bold move, it is probable somebody or a few people would not ever judge championships again. Thoughts?

This is a little aluminum hattish for me. If your scenario is true, then you should be able to cite the flip-flopping judges who did the Blue Devils in on the last Saturday night of the 2008 season and are therefore no longer working for DCI. Otherwise, you're asking us to read the judges' minds as to their "secret" motivations, and I don't think anybody can do that.

I think the reason the Blue Devils won in 2009 is more direct than your theory. They dominated the captions, taking 1st in overall GE and in more than half the captions, and had no weak captions where they placed lower than 3rd. No other corps came close to doing that, so obviously, no other corps was going to catch them. The margins don't matter when you control the captions that way. And they did it three nights in a row. Were all those different judges who had them first in on your conspiracy? Doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Peel Paint

Until the judging community actually adds a "degreee of difficulty" factor, the corps that execute their program, easy or difficult, the best will get the highest scores.

difficulty is included in pretty much every caption... it's in the "what" sub caption.

I see .. so then with this thinking a "more difficult" show that just looks bad would/should score higher then a show that is "less difficult" but clean as could possibly be?

yeah that's pretty much how it worked in the 90s, although "bad" isn't the adjective i would use. "less clean," maybe.

difficulty is included in pretty much every caption... it's in the "what" sub caption.

This is a flaw in the judging system...the "what" or the "rep" sub caption dictates what you are doing and the effectiveness of it. In a perfect world, shouldn't those scores be definite? The Carolina Crown's brass book is harder than the Blue Devils brass book and so their rep score should be higher, bu the blue devils are performing their easier book cleaner - hypothetically...Even moreso, why should the "what" points get any higher if a corps didn't add any "what" to their show. Its subjective and flawed, but so is the artistic activity we love so much.

yeah that's pretty much how it worked in the 90s, although "bad" isn't the adjective i would use. "less clean," maybe.

hhmm well maybe my thinking is backwards, but I for one would rather see a clean show. Although, I can in no way tell you what is clean and what is not in the way some folks look at feet and junk like that. I personally think what they go out on that field and do is pretty amazing ... "less clean" or not!!

I have a thought, well rather a question .. this being my first year involved in drum corps ...

Can someone tell me how long AFTER finals threads like this continue?

Oh, its going to be around for a long time- you'd better take a seat.

(sorry I just had to.) :doh: