drum corps are not bands

Hats off to Bob Jacobs and the Jersey Surf. Most Corps directors rarely post on DCP. It's always nice to read when one does. Good luck in the future. :thumbup:

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

semantics fail

Are you reffering to that marching band that was once from Great Bend Kansas? :thumbup:

Therefore... I propose that perhaps we only use the "drum corps is not a marching band" mantra as we give each other the knowing glance with a wink and the secret handshake, since we've already been successfully transformed into the ranks of the "enlightened;" and proudly use the "World's Best Marching Bands" philosophy as the sneaky bait in public to lure our unsuspecting neighbors into our lair (otherwise known as the ubiquitous "Stadium Near You").

I agree completely.

I think the best thing we can do is go back to a festival/carnival feel with shows. Lure people in by making the show the main event, but combining the show with a town parade, cookoff, apple festival, rides, etc. near the stadium. Then, do it old school and open up all of the seating to people. Outside the 30 and backfield is $5, $3 for elderly and students.

Lure them in. If you build it, they will come. :thumbup:

Go to an NFL practice and ask the players if it's Pop Warner Football and see how they react.

It's still football no matter what the age level. What point were you trying to make ?

I just think the main reason they take offense is that calling a corps a band shows ignorance.

Ignorance ? Well maybe 30 years ago but today it's band instruments,

When someone could see that a bugle had one valve and a rotor, it was pretty clear it wasn't a band in the triditional sense. Today, it's a profesional band on high octane.

Consider this in regards to HS

A normal band has one director and maybe an instructor or two but the football team has anywhere from 8 to 20 coaches.

Summer Marching Bands International has taken it upon themselves to show what can be done when a band has a full staff. The sad part is that it's still only "us" who get it

We just need a title 9 for music programs to have equal rights, but alas, it's a country of barbarians that like to get drunk and be physical without the refinements that music and the arts bring to society ( well, excluding country and rap )

We SHALL inherit the world