Glen Crosby - Greatest sidekick ever?

I marched in the drum line with Glen for two years and never saw the "serious" side to him, (albeit, I wasn't in his section.) I'm so impressed by his teaching qualities and envy not ever having him as an instructor...(he aged-out after me!) He's a sincere person and big-time family man and I hold him in high respect.

Glen toured with us at Dutch Boy in 1986 and had a tremendous impact on our young drum line. He had a handle on both the big picture and the little details, building the kids' overall skill level and musicianship while simultaneously solving ensemble and technical problems. That the drum line played well and the corps was a tight ensemble by the end of the season were due in no small part to his efforts.

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

Spike,

Thanks for sharing. By the way, your posts on DCP always make a good read. Now I just need to pony up and buy your book!

Alex

Ha! Pony up! When you do, send me a note and I'll sign your book. :thumbup:

Crosby does an amazing job with Academy. I'm fairly certain he has fielded two of the youngest percussion sections in the class with Academy (if not the youngest) and he still gets them to play well as an ensemble.

I was also told an excellent Float-story that featured Crosby, a Coke machine, and a very thirsty, very agitated Float ...

Crosby does an amazing job with Academy. I'm fairly certain he has fielded two of the youngest percussion sections in the class with Academy (if not the youngest) and he still gets them to play well as an ensemble.

I was also told an excellent Float-story that featured Crosby, a Coke machine, and a very thirsty, very agitated Float ...

That one's in the link in the "with and wisdom of tom float" thread i posted.

Rather, Glen does not seek the limelight or have much use for great personal recognition. It seems to perhaps make him uncomfortable. In the short two years I worked with Glen I found that he gleams his greatest satisfaction in life from the excitement of creating excellence and quality music from young people.

I believe all of that to be true. I'm pretty sure the only time Glen spoke to the entire corps (of my two years in SCV) was in 90.

He was focussed on the drumline in 89 and the whole corps vibe was pretty solid that year. However at some point in 90, the staff felt the need to give us a "reality check" kinda talk. The kind of talk that every corps needs from time to time. I remember Glen saying something like (and I'm sure I'm paraphrasing due to time clouding up the actual words): "I get the feeling that some of you are kinda bummed right now that you're not winning. I like to win as much as the next guy. But all any of us should be worried about is going there and being AMAZING. Because that's what Santa Clara does."

That's the kinda vibe Glen carried with him.

Edited by bradrick