King Trumpet Question?

I just bought my son a used King Super Tempo marching trumpet (silver). He has completely fallen in love with Drum Corps and wants to learn how to play. He loves the sound of older Phantom so I ended up finding this trumpet for $230. It was in excellent shape and I really thought it was reasonable. I have no idea how old it is, but really looks quite nice. Question is, should I have bought him something different seeing he hasnt played a note in his life? He wants to get started soon, but has no idea he is even getting a trumpet. The sooner I give it to him, the sooner he will be marching Phantom (at least he thinks he will). Thanks for any feedback.

Even a beginner should play on the best instrument they can get.

Edited by j.morgus

I am confused as to what your question is....

You think you should have bought him a better one, or a cheaper one? Or are you worried about bore sizes or the required air?

There are certainly some worse NEW instruments you could have gotten, and $230 seems pretty reasonable. I know that when I started playing brass as a kid, I started on a pretty BAD horn, and it was always a great motivation to me to EARN that next step up with my playing (AND to work my chops up to that next bigger mouthpiece.)

I say throw (well, maybe not THROW) the horn and an Arban book at him ASAP and get him started now, while he's so excited about it.

--JLS

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Is this trumpet OK for a beginner? or should I have bought him something different?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Is this trumpet OK for a beginner? or should I have bought him something different?

Any trumpet is ok for beginners. A lot of people have different opinions on how good different brands of trumpets are so really it is going to be what your kid learns to like. I know Bach Strads are really popular, but I never really liked them. Always preferred a Yamaha Xeno over them...but like I said, any horn is a good horn to start off on. (Atleast for me! :lol: )

Edited by Drumcorpsfan471

Any trumpet is ok for beginners. A lot of people have different opinions on how good different brands of trumpets are so really it is going to be what your kid learns to like. I know Bach Strads are really popular, but I never really liked them. Always preferred a Yamaha Xeno over them...but like I said, any horn is a good horn to start off on. (Atleast for me! :lol: )

Man, the Strads have gone downhill since the company has been bought and re-bought. I mean come on, they still call 'em Bach, but they went to Selmer (which makes them half Bach-half Conn) and then to Steinway.

But I had this old Strad from the 60's (after the Bach-Selmer merger) that is still one of the BEST trumpets I've played. They are built like big old cars, except AIR doesn't cost $3 a gallon. :)

I hope that S&Sons does something good with them. I think it's time to re-investigate the worth of good custom instruments.

By the way, I played a Xeno the other day... NIIIIIIIICE. It's like Kawai pianos. Machines keep getting better and better.

a cornet would be ideal, but the king should be fine for a beginner

agree that bach strads suck.... the only good strads are the mount vernon models (and those are WONDERFUL!), but those are hard to come across these days

AMEN to the mount vernon thing. Wish they could pull THAT off again.

I just bought my son a used King Super Tempo marching trumpet (silver).

King Tempos were sold by the thousands and are considered pretty fair horns as far as the student horns go.Probably miles ahead of the cheap china imported stuff.

Have someone that plays trumpet play it and have them give you suggestions of how it plays.I am willing to bet that it needs a valve alignment.About $50 bucks most places.Will do wonders to open the horn up and make it slot better.A good slotting horn will do wonders for a begging that is fighting finding the center of a pitch.Imagine trying to teach a child piano and teaching him to hear the notes when the piano is out of tune.The learning curve will be much better if it slots well.

Edited by camel lips

Certainly a good student horn. Camel Lips was right on about them being very popular. This horn was a step up horn from the standard beginner. Available in nickel or silver the horn has managed to hold up well over time.

My suggestion....take it to a good repair shop and have it chem cleaned, new felts and corks and get a nice new mouthpiece (5C or Schilke 15), and a good teacher.

I've said many times, it is the player and not the horn that makes great music.